Salinity- Cycling

erikaadli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI All!

New here and new to salt water life, have about 5 freshwater tanks though :D

Question, i am cycling my Evo 32gallon tank. I added the salt/water and live sand 3 days ago. I checked the salinity yesterday and it was verrrrry high at 1.034--- so i tried to dilute it last night but woke up this morning to the same ppt :(

I am getting my live rock delivered today so want to make sure my tank is at the right salt measurement prior to avoid future problems in the tank.

Any advice or just do a water change here? Is there a good website to check on the salt mix metric as i read the directions and obviously it wasnt right :/

thank you!!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using an ATO? That's the best way to keep your salinity at the correct number as it evaporates throughout the day.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI All!

New here and new to salt water life, have about 5 freshwater tanks though :D

Question, i am cycling my Evo 32gallon tank. I added the salt/water and live sand 3 days ago. I checked the salinity yesterday and it was verrrrry high at 1.034--- so i tried to dilute it last night but woke up this morning to the same ppt :(

I am getting my live rock delivered today so want to make sure my tank is at the right salt measurement prior to avoid future problems in the tank.

Any advice or just do a water change here? Is there a good website to check on the salt mix metric as i read the directions and obviously it wasnt right :/

thank you!!
How did you dilute your tank last night? Also 1.034 ppt or sg? Different measurements.

OP
OP
erikaadli

erikaadli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i am not using one at the moment-

do you think it would be ok to add my live rock with the salinity at this measure or do a water change first ?? this is my third day so not even close to being cycled

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remove some tank water and replace with RODI water until you reach your desired salinity/sg level. Personally I keep mine at 35ppt.

If you're getting live rock delivered, put it in the tank, since it's only 3 days old. You'll be cycling that tank in no time as the stuff that died in transit will be breaking down. You'll be curing the rock in the tank, which is fine when done with a new setup.

Make sure you monitor ammonia and have saltwater ready to do changes. Also, if you don't have an ATO, I strongly suggest you get one, or top off the tank throughout the day with RODI to keep your salinity in check.

OP
OP
erikaadli

erikaadli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remove some tank water and replace with RODI water until you reach your desired salinity/sg level. Personally I keep mine at 35ppt.

If you're getting live rock delivered, put it in the tank, since it's only 3 days old. You'll be cycling that tank in no time as the stuff that died in transit will be breaking down. You'll be curing the rock in the tank, which is fine when done with a new setup.

Make sure you monitor ammonia and have saltwater ready to do changes. Also, if you don't have an ATO, I strongly suggest you get one, or top off the tank throughout the day with RODI to keep your salinity in check.
Thank you so much! I will Do just that.

also last question does my live rock need a heater? My heater does not get here till Thursday but i keep Finding mixed answers everywhere haha

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I will Do just that.

also last question does my live rock need a heater? My heater does not get here till Thursday but i keep Finding mixed answers everywhere haha
Yes, you want a heater and a powerhead at minimum.
Do yourself a favor and order an ATO as well.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that live rock comes from a 1.025 tank and you dump it in 1.034 you will kill 70% of the bacteria on it.
Make sure it is in the same ballpark. A little lower than 1.025 is no problem, even more a tank cycles faster when the salinity is lower. Bring it up to 1.025 before you add fish/corals.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back