Salinity drop from 1.027 to 1.020

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just dropped my salinity by 0.007. How should I bring it back up?

I came home from a 2 week vacation. I checked my tank, at all my fish are at least alive. Many of my corals seemed fine, but I haven't scraped the algae yet, so it's hard to tell. I removed my auto feeder and fed frozen. When I'm away, I leave both the feed to my ATO reservoir filler and my skimmate drain open. Things seemed fine, so I closed them both. The ATO reservoir was full, the skimmate locker was empty.

Fast forward two hours. The power is off because the sump water level got too low. There is water on the floor and in the cabinet under my external skimmer. The ATO reservoir is empty and the skimmate locker is full of clear fluid.

The good news is that the shutoff worked as designed. The bad news is that my ATO dumped 5+ gallons of RO/DI into my 120 + 20gal sump.

No one is doing the backstroke yet, so no need to panic. I refilled the sump with fresh salt mix, drained my skimmate locker and turned things back on. The skimmer did not start overflowing. Time for a water test.

Typically my salinity is steady as a rock at 1.027. I test it first and it's at 1.020. That's a huge drop.

First question: Since this just happened, should I bring it at least part of the way back up quickly by doing a high-salt water change, or just turn off the ATO and manually top of with salt mix for a week?

Second -- what the heck? Why would my skimmer suddenly overflow from feeding frozen, something I do every day when I'm not on vacation?

Third: Does anyone know how to calculate how much fresh must have been added to my 140g of salt to drop it from 1.027 to 1.020? I've had my skimmer overflow before, and (from memory) 5 gal of fresh dropped it by about 0.001 rather than 0.007. I'm wondering if the skimmer hasn't been overflowing semi-regularly while I was on vacation such that it dropped slowly and was probably only slightly higher before tonight's overflow. Since the power was still on that seems unlikely, but perhaps it just hadn't overflowed that badly until I added the frozen.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are just fine at that salinity. Coral would be a little upset. Top off with saltwater until salinity is where it should be.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bring the salinity up slowly over days. Just topping up with saltwater.and would not be concerned with how long it takes especially if everything is going well

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just top up with saltwater mixed at the desired salinity .
it will balance over time .

curious how adding that little water changes salinity that much .

I’m adding roughly 10gal per week in my 230 with little change to salinity .

the odd time my ato runs empty and adding water when I make rodi will pump tons of water into the sump but again barely noticeable .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back