Salinity dropping post water change with GHL maxi pumps doing AWC and ATO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m having problems during water changes on my system. The Saltwater Maxi pumps to shut off and nearly a second later the ATO kicks in and starts adding RODI. The level in seems to drop just enough post filling with saltwater to suddenly need to need ATO.

Here’s the set up.

The sensors are in the return pump section of my Sump. The water is removed and filled from the Skimmer section of my sump. The Skimmer section is just before the Return section.

I’m running a 2 sensor set up the top sensor is the AWC top sensor and the ATO single sensor control. The bottom sensor is the AWC low level.

Looking for some ideas on solving this. Presently I am having to add 1/2 cup of salt a day to keep levels where they are.

@Vinny@GHLUSA @Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok want to make sure I got this because I am not having this issue and run two sensors also.

The water should not be shutting off till it reaches the top sensor therefore the ato should not be kicking on at all.

Want to make sure I fully understand, the drain water begins removing the water from the sump top sensor triggers and then continues to drain until the bottom sensor is triggered. Then the drain maxi turns off and the other maxi turns on with the fill command and continues to fill till the top sensor is triggered. After which it shuts off and the ATO will turn back on.

This assumes that ATO is using a program logic not to trigger when the AWC is on. Which based on your statement above is true as you said it happening after the AWC is finished?

Can you post screen shots of your level sensor awc, and the switch logic used for the 3 dosing pumps.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto

The water should not be shutting off till it reaches the top sensor therefore the ato should not be kicking on at all.
Nope, it’s functioning properly. The above statement isn’t right.

This is what happens:

Drain water starts, takes water level to the low sensor.
once the water level gets to the low sensor, the drain water stops and fill water starts.
Fill water takes water up to the top sensor and it stops.
this is where things go bad
Within a couple seconds to a minute of finishing the ATO kicks in because the water level has dropped a little and the system thinks it’s low.
The ATO will keep going off and on till the sensor stops sensing a low condition. This can go on for 5-6 minutes of of and on.

My layout is exactly what is in the new video that was posted here.

This process above operates with no programable logic created.

I don’t believe it’s honestly a problem with the GHL programing. Just hoping to see if anyone else has seen this and resolved it.

My sump is high flow moving 2700lph. I’m wondering if I move my fill vs flow is my problem.

0AEB65AE-4C47-4576-A329-FF4E9D412A52.png

30806274-1D2F-443A-BC96-B3259150BC19.png

BA21CDD8-CA6B-45EF-AE5C-8117E40EA145.png

D66EC986-EBF8-40F3-BE69-544BDD2F8D64.png

A6D134E0-33A0-4B38-9FCB-C00BE5C9105E.png

3CFA2186-DAD4-4750-938A-5AD8DE1F7268.png

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nearly 3800 lph through my sump each water change takes about 15 mins each I do eight per day without any salinity drop. I reprogrammed mine without the advance logic and as it laid out in the GHL video and performed manually two water changes, both worked without issue and neither had the ATO kick on, after the change.

I did have an issue when I first set up awc on one of the tanks where my skimmer which skims wet was pulling water during the water change. I was loosing a 1/2 cup of water through the skimmer. I had to adjust the skimmer

Inside the sump are the float switches in a calm area could it be turbulence on the level sensors?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside the sump are the float switches in a calm area could it be turbulence on the level sensors?
The section where the sensors are is the return section of the sump. The only movement in there is the level.

I’m having a thought, if I slow the Saltwater fill pump it would give the sump time to stabilize allowing the level to be more accurate. At first I was thinking about moving the SW return line to a different section. But slowing the pump might work well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, slowing the pump had little effect on my issue. Now I’m trying to feed the SW into a different compartment of the sump.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have tried to feed water into every compartment in the sump to curb the salinity drop. So far my best results are feeding into the return section.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back