Salinity in transport

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have problems with a few fish species that dont transport well.
My exporter sends the fishes in salinity 2,0 - 2,4%. It differs between sendings.
Most fishes do very well even though it is 36 or more transport hours. (Malaysia - Sweden)
But Halichoeres and especially H. chrysus ships very badly. They have a few active carbon pellets in the bag but I consider that good.
Any thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At your end, what salinity do you acclimate the fish to? I see a lot of Uronema in that species of wrasse, do you know what that looks like?
Jay

OP
OP
S

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often they are dead on arrival so I cant acclimate.
I have had Uronema a lot of times on new Chromis virides. If it is mild Outbreaks its stoppes because of my heavy UVC. (3 turnover per hour). I stopped the last hard outbreak using an Oxydator. (Standrd dose). Using my UVC I have never had it in more than 1 tank. Cryptocaryon and Ick never shows up but I have had Brooklynella on new clownfishes and the UVC takes care of that in a week.
Mostly I have about 2,7 % salinity in the quarantine. The last import (yesterday) I had 2 Halichoeres chrysus dead in transport. 1 I guess was dead about a day and the other just before arrival. No Ureonemalike wounds.
Temperature at arrival was 69 degrees and the salinity was 2,0%. I had 2,4% so I just let the bags temperature adjust for 20 minutes to 75 degrees and transfered the fishes with no other loss.
The temperature will slowly go up to 80 or 81 as the normal temperature in quarantine.

OP
OP
S

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often they are dead on arrival so I cant acclimate.
I have had Uronema a lot of times on new Chromis virides. If it is mild Outbreaks its stoppes because of my heavy UVC. (3 turnover per hour). I stopped the last hard outbreak using an Oxydator. (Standard dose). Using my UVC I have never had it in more than 1 tank. Cryptocaryon and Ick never shows up but I have had Brooklynella on new clownfishes and the UVC takes care of that in a week.
Mostly I have about 2,7 % salinity in the quarantine. The last import (yesterday) I had 2 Halichoeres chrysus dead in transport. 1 I guess was dead about a day and the other just before arrival. No Ureonemalike wounds.
Temperature at arrival was 69 degrees and the salinity was 2,0%. I had 2,4% so I just let the bags temperature adjust for 20 minutes to 75 degrees and transfered the fishes with no other loss.
The temperature will slowly go up to 80 or 81 as the normal temperature in quarantine.
The origin of the fishes was Malaysia.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back