Salinity issues

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i’m new to saltwater, and a few days ago i went to the fish store and got my water tested. They said my salinity was too high, so i did a water change and brought it back down. My reading was around 1.028. Went to the fish store and got my water tested again, but they said it was 1.018. I dont have fish yet, im going too, but this is the only thing holding me back. I’m very confused.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a salinity refractometer. $40 on BRS.

If salinity is above 1.026, add RO water slowly over days to get it in line. If salinity is low, add extra saltwater and wait for evaporation to raise you salinity.

Key points: move salinity slowly, buy a salinity refractometer.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer is a must if you want to maintain accurate salinity. Also when mixing your salt, you should let it mix thoroughly for 24 hrs. I keep mixed salt water and a power head for circulation in a brute trash can (still working on getting a proper mixing station) at all times. Keep the lid on to help avoid evaporation and swings in salinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer is a must if you want to maintain accurate salinity. Also when mixing your salt, you should let it mix thoroughly for 24 hrs. I keep mixed salt water and a power head for circulation in a brute trash can (still working on getting a proper mixing station) at all times. Keep the lid on to help avoid evaporation and swings in salinity.

I wouldn’t say a refractometer is a must, since it is just one of several methods for measuring salinity that work well, but it can be a fine way to go. [emoji3]

OP
OP
Sipec

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a refractometer, but i never let it mix for long before i took my sample. Thanks for the advice. I do have a mixing station, but there’s rock curing in it

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you also calibrated the refractometer?

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you also calibrated the refractometer?

This, mine was like .003 off. I thought I'd get by without calibrating my refractometer until I realized different light also gave me different readings and not knowing what kind of light the thing was calibrated on I went ahead and got some calibration liquid and found it to be a bit off from the light I was using.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back