Salinity issues

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Joey123, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Joey123

Joey123 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

so i’m new to saltwater, and a few days ago i went to the fish store and got my water tested. They said my salinity was too high, so i did a water change and brought it back down. My reading was around 1.028. Went to the fish store and got my water tested again, but they said it was 1.018. I dont have fish yet, im going too, but this is the only thing holding me back. I’m very confused.

Tags:

2. BlueCursor

BlueCursor Active Member R2R Supporter

Buy a salinity refractometer. $40 on BRS.

If salinity is above 1.026, add RO water slowly over days to get it in line. If salinity is low, add extra saltwater and wait for evaporation to raise you salinity.

Key points: move salinity slowly, buy a salinity refractometer.

Reef man 89, Idoc and Palyzoa like this.
  3. Palyzoa

Palyzoa Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award ETRC Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Refractometer is a must if you want to maintain accurate salinity. Also when mixing your salt, you should let it mix thoroughly for 24 hrs. I keep mixed salt water and a power head for circulation in a brute trash can (still working on getting a proper mixing station) at all times. Keep the lid on to help avoid evaporation and swings in salinity.

macnets likes this.
  4. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

I wouldn’t say a refractometer is a must, since it is just one of several methods for measuring salinity that work well, but it can be a fine way to go.

5. Joey123

Joey123 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I do have a refractometer, but i never let it mix for long before i took my sample. Thanks for the advice. I do have a mixing station, but there’s rock curing in it

Palyzoa likes this.
  6. SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper Where's the mysis? Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Have you also calibrated the refractometer?

Palyzoa likes this.
  7. Instigate

Instigate Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

This, mine was like .003 off. I thought I'd get by without calibrating my refractometer until I realized different light also gave me different readings and not knowing what kind of light the thing was calibrated on I went ahead and got some calibration liquid and found it to be a bit off from the light I was using.

8. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Ive always used the handheld refractometers. Just recently got a milwaukee digital one. Its a nice instrument.

Draft saved Draft deleted