Salinity issues

mikevas78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there everyone. This is my first post and really need some help trying to figure out a solution to my salinity issue. I have had my new tank for about 4 months now and have had no issues period. My temp has been consistent at 78 and my salinity was consistent at .26-.28. Now my salinity is dropping fast all the time to levels of .20. My tunze ATO is going off every 45-50 seconds and is staying on for 14-15 secs constantly dumping fresh water and causing my salinity to drop. I have adjusted the flow in the tank, which caused the salinity to stay stable, but now the salinity is dropping again due to the ATO constantly going off once again every 45-50 seconds. I have turned the ATO completely off, which caused the flow of water to drop, so I increased the flow, so that the pumps don’t go out on me. Does anyone have any advice? I have also been trying to get my skimmer in check, which I have read could be causing to much draw is salt as well. At this point I’m very frustrated and need some advice. Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a leak.

If the ATO is triggering that quickly, water may be leaking out. But it is being replaced by fresh water from the ATO, causing your salinity to drop.

Remember; water evaporates, not salt.

OP
OP
M

mikevas78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the ATO is triggering that quickly, water may be leaking out. But it is being replaced by fresh water from the ATO, causing your salinity to drop.

I just ran home to find that the water level in the sump where my pump is was out of water and the pump was running dry. I think my wife may have closed the flow completely and now I have the flow moving again. I told her to shut off the ATO and to try and keep the water in the sump stable with the flow until we could figure this out. I don’t see any leaks of any kind. The problem is I don’t want to hear that running water sound from the over flow or do I?

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your tunze sensor? Could it be in an area where it’s being disturbed by a powerhead or other water movement? With it running that often, doesn’t your sump fill with too much water? Or is this an all in one? Pictures of your sump and tank setup might help us help you troubleshoot.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran home to find that the water level in the sump where my pump is was out of water and the pump was running dry. I think my wife may have closed the flow completely and now I have the flow moving again. I told her to shut off the ATO and to try and keep the water in the sump stable with the flow until we could figure this out. I don’t see any leaks of any kind. The problem is I don’t want to hear that running water sound from the over flow or do I?

I think you should do whatever is necessary to get this corrected, even if it means having to listen to trickling water sounds.

Post some full tank shots so we can see your setup.

How are you measuring salinity; refractometer or a salinity gauge with a floating arm?

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To fix the draining sound you have to open or close the valve very little like an inch and let it sit for 5 minutes or more. If the sound is still there then you do it again and again wait to see if the draining sound goes away. Keep doing that till the water level is just right and no sound is heard.

I have my ato sensor where my return pump is it is the calmest part of my sump. You don't want it in a turbulent area
Also remember you need enough room in the sump for the water for when you turn off your pumps otherwise the sump will overflow

OP
OP
M

mikevas78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just ran home to find that the water level in the sump where my pump in was out. I think my wife may have closed the flow completely and now I have the flow moving again, but my pump was running dry. I don’t see any leaks of any kind. The problem is I don’t want to hear that running water sound.
How do you have room for so much water without it overflowing?
I think I have figured out the issue. I don’t have enough water in the overflow, which is why I have enough room for all that water. I think over time through water changes taking too much water out and not putting the exact amount back in.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would get the salinity stable fill the tank and sump with the pumps off to where then you will be sure it won't overflow the sump then start the pumps and fine tune the drain overflow and set the ato just under or at the level of the water in the sump where the return pump is at.
If you speed up or slow down the return pump your sump will empty more or get higher and you might have to fine tune the overflow again.
Probably best to set it and leave it

Back