Salinity needs raised

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So i made my own water and got the salinity to 1.0125 which is good. I did a water change today. Took out about 4 gallons and put my own water in the tank. Seeing as i dont have any fish or coral in it, how long will it take to raise it to the proper level ? I dont plan on adding anything to it for another 2 weeks so i got time, or should i add something to it soon ? Like hermits and snails. Any help would be awesome, thanks.
1.012 is low. Target is 1.024. You can raise salinity BUT slowly by taking out a large cup of water and replacing with higher salted water.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy a refractomerter for salinity too. don't buy a digitial . I wasted 2 years on that and was getting false results

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry meant 1.025
Depends on your size tank, you can use the calculator @Erin1971Texas posted to figure out how many 4 gallon water changes it would take to change the salinity. But if there is nothing in the tank, you could just drain it all into a container and add salt until it reaches the salinity you want then add it back to the tank. Calculator is below again for reference:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect

Also you will want to calibrate it with RODI water weekly to 0.000 just to be sure you are getting accurate readings
No, this is wrong. Buy or make a calibration fluid and calibrate the refractometer to that.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, this is wrong. Buy or make a calibration fluid and calibrate the refractometer to that.
Umm I think you are wrong calibration fluid is for digital reader . I am talking about calibrating a refractometer. Everyone I know calibrates with RODI water .

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm I think you are wrong calibration fluid is for digital reader . I am talking about calibrating a refractometer. Everyone I know calibrates with RODI water .
Refractometers should always be calibrated with a fluid that is as close you can get to what your checking. Otherwise it could be way off.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometers should always be calibrated with a fluid that is as close you can get to what your checking. Otherwise it could be way off.
Here's a read for you @czoolander

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, YOU are wrong.
There is calibration fluid for refractometers. NEVER use RODI to calibrate. You want to use a calibration fluid that is (typically) 35ppt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, YOU are wrong.
There is calibration fluid for refractometers. NEVER use RODI to calibrate. You want to use a calibration fluid that is (typically) 35ppt.
Ouch, a little harsh. I'm just trying to correct some beliefs that are wrong. Didn't want to bash anyone. I used to think rodi was the way also but, these forums are a learning tool.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, a little harsh. I'm just trying to correct some beliefs that are wrong. Didn't want to bash anyone. I used to think rodi was the way also but, these forums are a learning tool.
Perhaps, but I feel it's justified at this point.
They gave out incorrect information. You corrected them. They then said that you were wrong. They then said everyone they know does it this (the wrong) way.
This is my way of doing what every mom has ever done by saying "If all of them jumped off a bridge, would you jump too?" :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Yeah, sometimes I don't beat around the bush. What you consider "harsh" I consider "direct".

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, YOU are wrong.
I can tell you from extensive testing, that while RODI is not ideal for calibrating a refractometer, it is pretty darn accurate and will get you within 1-2ppt. I have used RODI as sanity checks many times and it is always within 1-2ppt of a freshly calibrated refractometer.

If the OP has access to actual calibration fluid or has a high accuracy digital scale to make the calibration fluid in a manner that the calibration fluid itself has less than 3% error, then using that is preferable.

If the choice is wait a week for fluid or calibrate now with RODI, the answer is obviously use RODI and calibrate with real fluid later.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Perfect

Also you will want to calibrate it with RODI water weekly to 0.000 just to be sure you are getting accurate readings
Calibrate with calibration solution

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrate with calibration solution
A: To calibrate a saltwater refractometer, you should first fill it with distilled water. You then need to set the desired range for your refractometer on the side of the device. Once this is done, you can start measuring salinity levels in your sample. How do you use a refractometer in a marine tank?

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, YOU are wrong.
Everyone you know is wrong.
Not surprising. They tend to form herds.
Ill take the advice of reefers with 40+ years experience and multiple sites on the internet saying the same thing of distilled water but thanks for your opinion :)

A: To calibrate a saltwater refractometer, you should first fill it with distilled water. You then need to set the desired range for your refractometer on the side of the device. Once this is done, you can start measuring salinity levels in your sample. How do you use a refractometer in a marine tank?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't "fill" a refractometer. Do you mean a swing arm hydrometer?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill take the advice of reefers with 40+ years experience and multiple sites on the internet saying the same thing of distilled water but thanks for your opinion :)

Distilled water is not preferable. It works in a pinch but only calibrates the zero and not the span. 1-2ppt error is common at 35ppt if using distilled or RODI. If you use calibration fluid that is 35ppt that error drops to 0.5-1ppt.

Works perfectly fine as a quick sanity check, but long term you are better off with proper calibration fluid.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are more than welcome to refuse to learn new things, but for others who might find this thread in the future, the correct way to calibrate a refractometer IS to use calibration solution, aka saltwater at 35ppt.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back