Salinity needs raised

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill take the advice of reefers with 40+ years experience and multiple sites on the internet saying the same thing of distilled water but thanks for your opinion :)

A: To calibrate a saltwater refractometer, you should first fill it with distilled water. You then need to set the desired range for your refractometer on the side of the device. Once this is done, you can start measuring salinity levels in your sample. How do you use a refractometer in a marine tank?
Well, I've only got 28 years of experience. Practically a newb!

Also, you don't fill a refractometer. Do these experts you rely on have some new tester?

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill take the advice of reefers with 40+ years experience and multiple sites on the internet saying the same thing of distilled water but thanks for your opinion :)

A: To calibrate a saltwater refractometer, you should first fill it with distilled water. You then need to set the desired range for your refractometer on the side of the device. Once this is done, you can start measuring salinity levels in your sample. How do you use a refractometer in a marine tank?
Ouch, a little harsh. I'm just trying to correct some beliefs that are wrong. Didn't want to bash anyone. I used to think rodi was the way also but, these forums are a learning tool.

You don't "fill" a refractometer. Do you mean a swing arm hydrometer?
Below is a refractometer and even in the instructions that came with it say to use distilled water. RODI water . So not sure why you guys are using 35 ppt solution to calibrate yours and expect to get an accurate reading. This should be calibrated at 0.00 salinity for accuracy on your reading

Attachments

• refractometer.jpg
    refractometer.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 22

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, if you are using distilled/RODI water, you would not "set the desired range", you would set it to ZERO!

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a refractometer and even in the instructions that came with it say to use distilled water. RODI water . So not sure why you guys are using 35 ppt solution to calibrate yours and expect to get an accurate reading. This should be calibrated at 0.00 salinity for accuracy on your reading
Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can try to educate you on this?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the pic you posted have a scale for alcohol??
**Caveat to the refractometer calibration "debate" -- you need to be using the correct type of refractometer!! (Never realized this needed to be stated...)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Caveat to the refractometer calibration "debate" -- you need to be using the correct type of refractometer!! (Never realized this needed to be stated...)
@czoolander
PLEASE DON'T USE A REFRACTOMETER DESIGNED FOR WINE-MAKING!

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Caveat to the refractometer calibration "debate" -- you need to be using the correct type of refractometer!! (Never realized this needed to b
Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can try to educate you on this?
Please do because you guys clearly need some education if you think that you dont need to set it at 0.00 before you test your tank water. you use RODI water to calibrate down to 0.00

I am new i shouldnt having to be explain this to you guys this is pretty embarassing on your parts

watch this is he wrong too????? How to Calibrate Your Refractometer | BigAlsPets.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@czoolander
PLEASE DON'T USE A REFRACTOMETER DESIGNED FOR WINE-MAKING!

Im not i just posted a picture of what mine looks like. mine obviously tests salinity and is for reefing but thanks for taking it literally . I didnt even look at the readings on the circle i just pulled the first picture of a refratometer off google so you can see the tool im using.

and PLEASE remember you are the one saying to use a 35ppt solution to get your calibration reading on a refractometer........

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLown im not i just posted a picture of what mine looks like. mine obviously tests salinity and is for reefing but thanks for taking it literally . I didnt even look at the readings on the circle i just pulled the first picture of a refratometer off google so you can see the tool im using.

and PLEASE remember you are the one saying to use a 35ppt solution to get your calibration reading on a refractometer LOL dude ........
You're calling ME a CLOWN??? lol!
Not my problem that you chose to post something so inappropriate for reefing.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not i just posted a picture of what mine looks like. mine obviously tests salinity and is for reefing but thanks for taking it literally . I didnt even look at the readings on the circle i just pulled the first picture of a refratometer off google so you can see the tool im using.

and PLEASE remember you are the one saying to use a 35ppt solution to get your calibration reading on a refractometer LOL dude ........
Do you think I would forget??

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Czoolander, this could be why your tank is not doing well. Just try to calibrate like we said and check.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get an actual scientist on here to explain how this works for you guys because this is kinda sad how you think that using RODI water to set your reading and calibration to 0.00 will not give you the most accurate reading for when you test your tank water for salinity .

When you set your scale to weigh yourself do you calibrate the scale to 100lbs or 200lbs . No you calibrate to 0lbs . Then you put on the scale what you want to weigh

Measuring salinity would be the same . Set your scale to zero. Test your sample

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Czoolander, this could be why your tank is not doing well. Just try to calibrate like we said and check.
Tank is doing well ........... not " thriving"

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get an actual scientist on here to explain how this works for you guys because this is kinda sad how you think that using RODI water to set your reading and calibration to 0.00 will not give you the most accurate reading for when you test your tank water for salinity .

When you set your scale to weigh yourself do you calibrate the scale to 100lbs or 200lbs . No you calibrate to 0lbs . Then you put on the scale what you want to weigh

What makes you believe some of us are not "actual scientists"? Did you bother to read the articles/links posted?
Here's a knowledge drop for you... Scientific instruments are not all calibrated to zero.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I linked you a very informative article from an actual scientist that is this hobbys expert on chemistry. I am also an actual scientist. I have a Masters in electrical engineering and studied chemistry in college.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this would be why my marine biologist friend says to take no advice from this site

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back