Salinity Probe Calibration?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Aspect

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey all, having an issue with the Salinity probe on my Apex, it keeps giving me false readings. I've calibrated 3 times now this month and it will either read high or low within a week. Getting to be pretty frustrating considering the price of these "lab grade" probes. Support from BRS/Neptune is pretty much a waste of time since it takes about a week to get a reply. Seems like this is a pretty common issue too. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Clownfishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
There could be bubbles inside the probe. Have you tried putting it in a high flow area? I do this and it blows the bubbles out and keeps the probe rock solid.

gbroadbridge

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey all, having an issue with the Salinity probe on my Apex, it keeps giving me false readings. I've calibrated 3 times now this month and it will either read high or low within a week. Getting to be pretty frustrating considering the price of these "lab grade" probes. Support from BRS/Neptune is pretty much a waste of time since it takes about a week to get a reply. Seems like this is a pretty common issue too. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Salinity probe issues are normally related to either bubbles or organics on the probe.

You need to find a place with reasonable flow with no agitation to cause bubbles.

Once you find that spot it will stay calibrated for quite a while.

gbroadbridge

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It's in the middle compartment of my sump after a bubble trap.
Without removing it from the water give it a shake and a tap on the glass. If the salinity reading changes after doing that, and giving it ten minutes to settle it's probably bubbles.

Also, a new probe can take a few weeks to stabilize.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Turnprobe at an angle to release air bubbles which is often the culprit

SR