Salinity Probe Calibration?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all, having an issue with the Salinity probe on my Apex, it keeps giving me false readings. I've calibrated 3 times now this month and it will either read high or low within a week. Getting to be pretty frustrating considering the price of these "lab grade" probes. Support from BRS/Neptune is pretty much a waste of time since it takes about a week to get a reply. Seems like this is a pretty common issue too. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be bubbles inside the probe. Have you tried putting it in a high flow area? I do this and it blows the bubbles out and keeps the probe rock solid.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, having an issue with the Salinity probe on my Apex, it keeps giving me false readings. I've calibrated 3 times now this month and it will either read high or low within a week. Getting to be pretty frustrating considering the price of these "lab grade" probes. Support from BRS/Neptune is pretty much a waste of time since it takes about a week to get a reply. Seems like this is a pretty common issue too. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Salinity probe issues are normally related to either bubbles or organics on the probe.

You need to find a place with reasonable flow with no agitation to cause bubbles.

Once you find that spot it will stay calibrated for quite a while.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's in the middle compartment of my sump after a bubble trap.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in the middle compartment of my sump after a bubble trap.
Without removing it from the water give it a shake and a tap on the glass. If the salinity reading changes after doing that, and giving it ten minutes to settle it's probably bubbles.

Also, a new probe can take a few weeks to stabilize.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Turnprobe at an angle to release air bubbles which is often the culprit

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back