Salinity Probe Useless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I have tried everything over the last 5 months.
1. recalibrate
2. reposition
3. recalibrate
4. re-route wires to avoid interference
5. cleaned the probe tip
5. put a foam "guard" around the sensor to prevent micro bubbles and pods from getting in the tip.

I get a good reading, then it starts fluctuating after a day or so. I think the longest I have ever gotten a correct reading is maybe 3-4 days.

so straight up... is the probe worthless? Or just more trouble than it is worth?

I know that some people have had good luck, certainly not the case in my situation.

advice?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worthless. I could never get a consistent reading on mine. Gave up on it long ago. I hardly ever check salinity anyways and certainly no need to constantly monitor it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. recalibrate
2. reposition
3. recalibrate
5. cleaned the probe tip
5. put a foam "guard" around the sensor to prevent micro bubbles and pods from getting in the tip.

I get a good reading, then it starts fluctuating after a day or so. I think the longest I have ever gotten a correct reading is maybe 3-4 days.

so straight up... is the probe worthless? Or just more trouble than it is worth?

I know that some people have had good luck, certainly not the case in my situation.

advice?

Get a digital refractometer;), this is what I did.

Do you have a classic setup or the 2016? I am wondering if it has to do with the frimware. I have not had any issue up until the last frimware update. My salinity was right on. I went through the same process as you and bought a digital refractometer and now I know for sure what my salinity is.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Worthless.

I keep mine stuck in a 1/2" or 3/4" PVC, forever the size, but it can sit around 35 for maybe a couple weeks at best. That said, when it trends I have zero confidence it's actually right.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s worthless, it’s just sensitive. Not only to salinity change but a lot of things.

Here’s what my weekly data typically looks like.
2EF8338B-3A81-454D-875D-2829B93C3E1E.png

The only way I could get it calibrated was to do the calibration in sump, with temp floated solutions, and not move the probe wires at all.

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. recalibrate
2. reposition
3. recalibrate
5. cleaned the probe tip

advice?
I was having a ***** of a time until I found this thread on Neptune’s forum. Zombies instructions in the following link calibrated the probe to 35ppt. Haven’t had any issues since. Good luck!
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?24176-Help-with-Salinity-Probe&p=151154

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not worthless but don't count on an accurate reading. If you use it strictly for trends, than it can be quite useful. For example, I use mine as a safeguard in case my ATO malfunctions.....regardless of what number the probe is reading initially, it will drop if a bunch of fresh water is dumped into the tank.

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem when I got the 2016 Apex and probe. I gave up calibrating with solution. I used a refractometer and got my water a perfect 1.026 and then just calibrated the probe to my water. It’s been dead on accurate for 9 months with no recalibration.

spifftempo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is placement. Good flow, low micro-bubbles. Can be a difficult thing to come by in some sumps. My is placed on the opposite side of the intake on my return pump.

I use a true seawater refractometer, calibrate it with refractometer solution before verifying calibration and it matches perfectly with the Neptune Systems Salinity Probe that is calibrated with the Neptune Systems calibration solution.

upload_2018-10-1_12-2-52.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back