Sally's Maiden Voyage: 120g adventure

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dreaming of and planning for a reef tank for about 8 years or so. Last year, I finally joined this forum where I'd been stalking for several years. This year, I've finally started putting it all together. It's been a long journey already, and I still have tons to learn. I'd like to start off with a huge thank you to everyone who has given me advice and helped me out of more than a few jams already- I'm really grateful! Without more experienced people telling me that I'm over- complicating something, or that there are better ways to accomplish what I'm trying to do, I wouldn't have made hardly any progress at all.

Now, to the good stuff! When I first started dreaming of a reef tank, it was a 75g. I thought that would be a decent starter size, considering the types of fish I was interested in. Then I realized that I was already planning the upgrade to a 90g, so why not just start with a 90? Yup, you guessed it. Again I began planning to go bigger before I even got off the ground with a 90. So here I am with a 120g as my first saltwater tank! I bought a lot of equipment used, and hit last year's Black Friday sales for some new stuff.
20171122_144440.jpg

Then I began working on what I called "infrastructure." I didn't get any pictures because everything was so filthy, but a friend of mine who is super handy took me down into the hellscape of my crawl space, and we used a header, jacks, and concrete blocks to support the section of flooring under the future tank's location. The tank runs parallel to the joists, and I didn't want to risk sagging. He showed me everything every step of the way and made me do parts of it myself, so that if I need to add another header or adjust the jacks, I can do it myself. I appreciated that. I may be a single woman, but I don't like being an ignorant or helpless one!

Next: water mixing station. Got some neato barrels from Rural King (free shipping!), and took my first dive ever into PVC and plumbing. I very quickly learned that I hate doing plumbing. I would rather ride my bike bare-cheeked with a cactus-lined saddle for 20 miles than plumb another anything. But I'm super stubborn and eventually got it done, and it works very nicely. The pump (Sicce) is also my backup return pump, since it can run in-line or submerged. I set it in a drip tray I built. Simple plywood box with two coats of flex seal to make it water proof. Leak protection! At some point, I'll get actual alarmed leak detectors, but that's in the future.
20180616_111504.jpg

Next, flooring. I just bought the house in June 2017, and apparently that spring, the previous owner replaced all the floors in the kitchen, living room, and hallway with a very nice, pretty wood laminate. But wood laminate doesn't like water. Just ask my dog. I adopted her from the local shelter in Dec. 2017, and she was sickly and heartworm positive. The antibiotics and steroids she was on made her pee all the time. She panics in the crate- even a professional trainer suggested that crating her was more trouble than it was worth- and she hops baby gates like nothing, so penning her in the kitchen wasn't an option. Short story- every morning when I came home from work, there'd be one or two puddles of urine to clean up. The poor thing couldn't help it. And it was too cold to leave a kennel cough-turned-pneumonia, heartworm positive dog outside in December, even in the garage with a warm blanket stuffed dog house. The flooring did not like the piddles. It started swelling at the seams and all that. So I had a handyman from my multisport team come by and replace that section of flooring with vinyl tiles. I'd never be able to match the wood grain patterns, so I went with a stone pattern with similar enough colors to the wood laminate. It's not a perfect look, but I can live with it. Sorry for the super blurry pics.
20180605_133145.jpg

During this time, I was working on the stand. It took me forever (and a borrowed miter saw, since I'm still amateur enough with my circular saw to not always have straight cuts), and tons of input from folks on here to come up with a plan that would work. I wanted a stand that was longer and wider than the tank, so I would have a place to set things down, kneel during maintenance, have plenty of room underneath for equipment, etc. I ended up with a stand that is 6' long, 28" deep (was going for 30" but made a calculation error, which worked out fine since moving 28" through my front door was much easier than 30" would have been), and 36" tall. I have mixed feelings on the height. It's tall enough to be a pain to deal with already, but on the other hand, if it was much shorter, I would be super cramped underneath. And while I might be blinded by the lights (in the canopy I haven't built yet....) while sitting on the couch, at least I don't have to squat to look at the tank like I have to do with my freshwater planted tank on a much shorter stand. I do think, however, that my next build will be on a lower stand. I have a small bedroom on the other side of the wall- I could conceivably plumb through the wall to a sump in that bedroom in order to deal with the lack of space underneath.
20180608_074145.jpg

20180616_144407.jpg

Next up: sump. There's no Petco in my city (and thus, no dollar per gallon sales) but I just happened to be in the next big city over that did have a Petco during one of those sales, so I picked up a 40b. Had a glass shop cut me some baffles, and then performed officially the worse silicone job ever. Cut me some slack, guys; it was my first time! Actually, there were a lot of firsts getting all this stuff done.....made up some new cuss words, too. But I hated doing silicone significantly less than I hated plumbing, so that's good! It was actually kind of fun. A little (lot) more practice, and I should be churning out deliciously smooth, leak-free seams like clockwork. Here's a shot of the leak test. I did wind up having to redo the baffle on the far right, but that wasn't nearly as much of a hassle as cutting and gluing PVC. Also, moving a 40b in and out of the house by myself was not easy. The garage steps in particular made me sweat.
20180516_200322.jpg

I looked for months in local classifieds (FB, Craigslist) for a 120 in the 4x4x2 dimensions that I wanted. No luck, so I ordered a new one through my small LFS. Drilling it for a bean animal overflow was terrifying, but not as difficult as I feared.
20180716_100126.jpg

I picked up a Modular Marine ghost style overflow, and I gotta say, it's heckin' sleek. I've had no problems with it. I ordered one size larger than I thought I needed, because I heard the exterior box could be a bit tight to work in, and I'm glad I did. I should have asked them to size down the bulkheads a bit though. The plumbing is an ugly story. It was a nightmare and a half- plumbing the water mixing station was cake compared to this. I hated every second of it. When I upgrade, I will pay somebody else to do it! But I persevered and it finally got done. Leaks were addressed, leaks were rediscovered, leaks were addressed, more leaks were discovered....currently I have a small salt trail on the back of the tank from one corner of the exterior box of the overflow (I think the salt creep sealed it off), and a super slow leak from one joint between pipe and union on the 2° drain. I tried turning that drain line off with the ball valve I put on there, and reapplying PVC glue in an attempt to get it to seal itself. 24hrs later, turned it on and it still has a slow drip. I'm just going to silicone the dang thing. Anyway, here's what the back of the tank looks like. Had to switch out some rigid PVC for flex- there's a section with a curve/lean down by the return pump that I simply couldn't resolve well enough.
20180823_013339.jpg

After the plumbing and leak testing bit was done, I drained the tank, scooted it closer to the wall, and refilled it. Got the pump going, mixed up some salt, and started the cycle! Finally! Glory be! I'd been cycling some QT tanks and I was ready to go get a few snails and a fish or two, so they'd be ready to go by the time the display finished cycling. My "fish room" has three QT tanks: a 20L, and two 10g. One 10g will be medication free- no copper, no CP, no prazi. It'll be for cuc, small sensitive fish, and keeping a little population of pods. I can keep live rock and a little tupperware container of sand in there. I'll probably put corals in there, too as part of a quarantine. For a while, both 10g were on separate end tables that I picked up at garage sales, but curbside shopping scored me this low dresser so the two 10gs can sit at the same height. It's just a cleaner look to me. And the drawers are good for storing stuff!
20180111_095647.jpg

To be continued....apparently I can only attach so many pictures in one message!

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you planned this out very well. Congratulations on all your planning and hard work. Looks like you did a great job on the stand as well. Really looking forward to seeing this take off. Thank you very much for sharing with such a detailed post. [emoji106]

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this build thread!!! When you said you did a terrible job on the sump If was expecting something else but you did a really good job. Off topic but how is your dog now....I’m a sucker for them.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The better-looking dresser for my QT tanks. I'll eventually have to do something about all those cords. What with three tanks, each with a filter (either HOB or sponge), heater, powerhead, and light, I worry about tripping a breaker. Worth mentioning, I did have an electrician install a dedicated circuit and two new outlets in the living room for the display tank, so I should be safe there.
20180925_104039.jpg

Against advice (because I'm stubborn and sometimes kind of stupid), I picked up three red firefish. They seemed to get along all right for the first few weeks, but by the time the DT was ready, I was down to one. You know, the more experienced fishkeepers on here might know what they're talking about when they tell you that firefish will kill each other off. I felt pretty bad about it, and will try to be better going forward.
20180726_120036.jpg

I nicknamed the remaining firefish Han Solo...because he's the only one left.

I'm still working on the tank and stand and various miscellany. I installed some lights in the sump area, and put together the ATO (wondering if I can just plug the Tunze Osmolater into the Apex EB8 and get control over it so I don't have to unplug it for feed mode?). I still need to paint the stand, put together a spigot thingy for water changes, put hardware on the doors, figure out how to hang the fuge light, and build the canopy. I'm going to copy @Ratherbeflyen 's canopy plans. Check out his canopy build thread- it's pretty cool. With a stand as tall as mine, access to the top is going to be paramount. Crawling into a top mounted canopy would be near impossible, and it's too close to the ceiling to hang the canopy from the ceiling, because there wouldn't be enough room to raise it for maintenance. When I stopped by PetSmart to pick up dog food, I noticed the clearance rack had some LEDS on sale for $13 a piece, so I picked up two just to put some light over the tank in the meantime.
20181019_092940.jpg

20181019_092940.jpg
20180907_102053.jpg
20180909_040329.jpg
20180918_011124.jpg
20181019_092847.jpg

I look forward to getting the proper modules to control more things via Apex. Right now my Jebao return pump and Gyre both have their own controllers. I also have a couple of older Radions (again, going in the canopy I haven't built yet). But I've heard that the Radions and Gyres may work best on their own rather than controlled via Apex. I guess I'll research more about that later.

Oh, I nearly forgot! Han Solo is doing well in the DT, so I had my LFS order me a couple more dudes. I got this one spot foxface earlier this week, put him in the 20L QT, and he eats like a starving croc! He does look maybe a smidge skinny, so I'm feeding the flakes and pellets that the LFS uses twice a day, a mysis/bloodworm mix in the morning, and either a bit of nori on the clip or an alge wafer. He's still figuring out the algae clip, I think. But either way, I'll get him fat and sassy in no time! I'll probably start him on some CP next week- wanted to give him a chance to settle in before starting anything. And tomorrow, I'm going to go pick up a yellow coris wrasse! He'll go in the middle 10g QT. Once I make sure he's settled in and eating, I'll cautiously try him with copper, and if he doesn't do well, I'll pop him over to the invert QT and do TTM instead.
20181103_113033.jpg

So that's where I stand right now! Hope you don't mind coming along on this journey with me!

20180909_040347.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this build thread!!! When you said you did a terrible job on the sump If was expecting something else but you did a really good job. Off topic but how is your dog now....I’m a sucker for them.
She's doing great! It took almost six months, but we got her heartworms taken care of! She's the perfect dog for a night shifter- a quiet couch potato.
20180723_112845.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks great so far and thanks for sharing the pictures with us and for a great write up

Very nice!

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear Han Solo is doing well, may the force be with him.

Looking good, thanks for the pictures. I love how clean and tidy the controllers look. Nice job

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, guys, not much to update. I do have all the fish from QT in the display now- the one spot foxface, and the yellow coris wrasse have joined Han Solo the firefish. Everybody seems to be doing well, and I'm entering the "ugly stage" with some diatoms. At least, that's what I'm assuming it is. Brownish stuff on the glass and rocks, and a little on the sand. I've decided not to get any more fish until I finish that godforsaken canopy. I'm a crappy amateur carpenter. The box part itself is done, but I keep splitting the trim when I try to nail it on. And because of my crappy carpentry skills, the edges of the box are ugly and some parts of the wood are slightly warped, so I can't just glue the trim on. Also, the aluminum flat bars that will be the weight bearing workhorses still need bending and cutting. A coworker's brother-in-law is going to give it a shot next week. If that happens, then I just need to finish making the canopy pretty, mount the rails for the LEDs, install the T5 retrofit kit, screw the TV mounts into the wall studs, drill bolt holes in the aluminum, bolt the aluminum to the TV mounts, adjust to fit, install the lights, find a place to put the radion ballasts (the T5 ballast is so small I can just velcro it to the top of the canopy)......yeah, there's still a lot to do there. But I'm holding myself to this. No more fish until the canopy is done! Hopefully, I can get myself my first coral by Valentine's day! LOL!

P.S. I'm not much of a photographer, so you'll have to forgive to sub-par photos!

IMG_9013.JPG
IMG_9041.JPG

IMG_9024.JPG

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sally,
Impressive introduction. Your plumbing pipe work is very sharp looking and your carpentry skills are equally impressive. For someone starting their first salt water tank, you have much savvy.

I am glad to follow your thread.

With respect to trim splitting when you nail it, try drilling trim before nailing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yiiiiiiiiiiikes, it's been months! Life happened. Let's get back up-to-date!

The biggest change right off the bat is that I got the canopy done. It's not pretty, and I must have done a poor job wiring the T5 retrofits because they only occasionally work, but hey. It's done. The rails I used are a bit tight, but the Radions will slide on them well enough. Mounting the canopy to the wall was a b****. I'm not super proud of how it turned out, but it's a learning experience! If I ever upgrade, I'll know better! I also got the stand painted and trimmed. Looks all right from across the room!

20190324_103143.jpg

20190217_065038.jpg

I still have the same three fish- firefish, yellow coris wrasse, and one spot foxface- and they're all doing well. I'm going to leave town soon and don't have time to QT any more fish before I leave, but when I get back I intend to get a clownfish pair and a bubble tip. I think my tank is mature enough. It's been running for about 8 months, I've gone through a few rounds of uglies, and my parameters are stable after the last round. I had the normal diatoms, and then got this weird fleshy stuff which general consensus concluded was likely chrysophytes.

20190428_110602.jpg

Lots of manual removal and the explosion of green hair algae took care of that. The hair algae was a real problemo, but reducing my lighting by a lot (from 12hrs to 8hrs, and 80% max output to 65% max input), doing more regular water changes, tearing apart the whole aquascape and manually scrubbing the heckin' daylights out of each rock, and adding a media bag with a few tablespoons of GFO to the sump seems to have taken care of that. I've been algae-free for a couple of weeks, and it's a beautiful thing!

I've picked up a few corals now, too. My first ones were a couple of zoa frags and a trumpet frag. I've since added more zoas, a duncan, and a jack o' lantern lepto. So far, they're all doing well. I'm looking forward to getting a few more when I get back in town! I have a love affair with hammers- I'm going to start a euphyllia garden. :)

20190622_111958.jpg
20190622_112710.jpg

I know most of the pics are blurry, but it is what it is. [emoji14] That's about all the relevant updates for now- sorry it's been so long! Once there's more to share, I'll try to be better at updating this thread. Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*sigh* There was an incident with the canopy, and now it's tilted so far down in front that it's practically resting on the trim. It's just going to have to stay supported with blocks for now. I leave for vacation tomorrow, and I don't have time to figure out what broke, and figure out how to fix it. There's no way I can take it down off the wall by myself, and the hardware parts aren't exactly easy to get to when it's mounted. I wish I were more savvy with building stuff. This canopy has been 3/4 disaster and 1/4 success.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back