Salmon killed my fish?

MidnightF66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up to my pair of clownfish dead. . .Only thing I did different that during feeding time. I chopped up some fresh raw salmon for them mixed with the raw shrimp that I normally give them, and this morning they're dead. . All my water parameters are pretty good. My peppermint shrimp is fine as well. My KH is a little high currently sitting at a 10, another thing I did different I put some seachem zooplankton in for the first time. I'm so confused

107567223_3675998765748684_8838812218068980036_o.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the aquarium?

There is one guideline when you use own food from fish - freeze it at least for 24 hours prior to feeding. This will kill all parasites. I do not think it is a parasite this time - things happen to fast for that.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
MidnightF66

MidnightF66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the aquarium?

There is one guideline when you use own food from fish - freeze it at least for 24 hours prior to feeding. This will kill all parasites. I don not think it is a parasite this time - things happen to fast for that.

Sincerely Lasse
Just over 6 months. Everyone was fine they didnt show any signs of distress. They were just swimming in they're rock corner like the normally do.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salmon did not kill your fish. I can't tell from here what did, but it wasn't salmon.

OP
OP
MidnightF66

MidnightF66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I'm confused. my water parameters were before they died

PH: 7.8-8PH 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite. 0.25
Nitrate. 0.0
KH. 10

OP
OP
MidnightF66

MidnightF66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I'm leaning towards now. Thats the only logical thing I can think of
I have never had any issues with Seachem zooplankton in 25 years.

Could you have overdosed a bit and created an ammonia spike?

Ammonia kills quick.
You know what. I probably did overdoes the tank. . .I did a full cap full. dang it. . .

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is either an ammonia spike or oxygen depletion secondary to a bacterial bloom or a similar mechanism. Can't explain the peppermint, though.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it fresh and not smoked or in other ways treated salmon? Have you eaten of the salmon? Farmed or wild?

Salmon did not kill your fish. I can't tell from here what did, but it wasn't salmon.

I´m very close to say the same - but there could have been something coming with the salmon.

I have never had any issues with Seachem zooplankton in 25 years.

Could you have overdosed a bit and created an ammonia spike?

Ammonia kills quick.

I was leaning to that too - but the shrimp managed to survive

Pink salmon
Do you eat pink salmon ? Living in Sweden (near Norway) we call this type of salmon near spawning for "vrak lax" (wreck salmon) and we do not eat them :D:D;)

Thats why I'm confused. my water parameters were before they died

PH: 7.8-8PH 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite. 0.25
Nitrate. 0.0
KH. 10

With pH around 8 and a reported total ammonia of 0.25 - that´s kill nothing - it correspond to around 0.02 ppm toxic NH3 (ammoniac or not ionized ammonia ) and that does not kill anything. Here is a good tool to evaluate measurements of total ammonia.

My guess is either an ammonia spike or oxygen depletion secondary to a bacterial bloom or a similar mechanism. Can't explain the peppermint, though.

Yes - oxygen depletion is next to come up for me too. It has happen to me in a skimmerless tank with a lot of soft corals.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
MidnightF66

MidnightF66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it fresh and not smoked or in other ways treated salmon? Have you eaten of the salmon? Farmed or wild?

I´m very close to say the same - but there could have been something coming with the salmon.

Do you eat pink salmon ? Living in Sweden (near Norway) we call this type of salmon near spawning for "vrak lax" (wreck salmon) and we do not eat them :D:D;)
Yeah I eat pink salmon. Makes good salmon patties. Supposedly it was wild caught, but that could just be a market ploy for customers

Back