Salt creep at bottom frame of tank

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I saw several posts about this when I was looking around. None of them were looking too good, but a lot of them were 10+ years old so maybe just maybe there might be some other options/ideas here.

When I got my used 75 gallon I resealed it. I thought I did a good job, maybe I did, maybe I didn't. But seeing as it's all covered in sand now I think my resealing job is a bit of a moot point, I even think I remember there being creep in this area when I was cleaning it up and everything. ;Shifty The salt will grow up the wall maybe an inch or two before it crumbles back down in. And I know it's not dripping or splashing because I'm careful about wiping the glass whenever I end up sticking my arm in there.

I'm curious to know about my options, I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to pull it out to reseal it, it sounds like a ton of work for a not guaranteed result, and I'm in grad school so time is very limited. I was thinking I'll ask my LFS if they'd be able to order me a new tank?

What would your suggestions be?

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 1.50.28 PM.png

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it, but it is time for a new tank. It would be a step down, but the cheapest option may be to grab a 55g from Petco/Petsmart when they run a $/gallon sale.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it, but it is time for a new tank. It would be a step down, but the cheapest option may be to grab a 55g from Petco/Petsmart when they run a $/gallon sale.
That's disappointing, my LFS has a sale every once in a while where they run special orders at cost+$1 so with any luck that'll be coming up soon or at least some sort of sale.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I saw several posts about this when I was looking around. None of them were looking too good, but a lot of them were 10+ years old so maybe just maybe there might be some other options/ideas here.

When I got my used 75 gallon I resealed it. I thought I did a good job, maybe I did, maybe I didn't. But seeing as it's all covered in sand now I think my resealing job is a bit of a moot point, I even think I remember there being creep in this area when I was cleaning it up and everything. ;Shifty The salt will grow up the wall maybe an inch or two before it crumbles back down in. And I know it's not dripping or splashing because I'm careful about wiping the glass whenever I end up sticking my arm in there.

I'm curious to know about my options, I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to pull it out to reseal it, it sounds like a ton of work for a not guaranteed result, and I'm in grad school so time is very limited. I was thinking I'll ask my LFS if they'd be able to order me a new tank?

What would your suggestions be?

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 1.50.28 PM.png

I won't go all gloom and doom on you at first. But check to see if any water is splashing along the top frame. My tank had this and it would travel down the corner of the tank and I would get salt creep along the bottom.

BUT seeing as yous looks to be in the middle of the tank, I'd probably go grab a new tank. At a minimum go grab some rubbermaid bins from walmart, home depot, or wherever. As long as you have room for the bin, you can use a wave maker, lights and maintain what you have for a good amount of time while you sort out what you're next move is.

I wouldn't wait too much longer though.

Not always an option. The petco by me was limited to 10, 20 long, 20 high, and 29 gallon tanks during the last $1/gallon sale.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't go all gloom and doom on you at first. But check to see if any water is splashing along the top frame. My tank had this and it would travel down the corner of the tank and I would get salt creep along the bottom.

BUT seeing as yous looks to be in the middle of the tank, I'd probably go grab a new tank. At a minimum go grab some rubbermaid bins from walmart, home depot, or wherever. As long as you have room for the bin, you can use a wave maker, lights and maintain what you have for a good amount of time while you sort out what you're next move is.

I wouldn't wait too much longer though.

Not always an option. The petco by me was limited to 10, 20 long, 20 high, and 29 gallon tanks during the last $1/gallon sale.

We have a rather obnoxious collection of bins, and I've got fish trash cans and I could very easily just move the corals into the sump and stick my wave makers in there for movement worst case scenario so luckily I'm not too concerned about the whole emergency storage thing. I'll be sure to get to the LFS this week.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same exact reason I have seen it happen on my tanks. Every time I splashed a little water out from the tank and it managed to make it to the trim. Within a few days I'd have salt creep showing up along the lower trim just like the OP's pic shows.

I cleaned it up using fresh water in a dosing syringe and a shopvac to suck out as much of the water as I could, then used black silicone sealant and ran a very tiny bead up against the glass and lower trim. I then smoothed it out using a custom made silicone scraper (stiff piece of plastic with a tiny notch cut in the corner). I do this on all my tanks now when I am setting them up so I won't have to deal with the salt creep like this.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Pntbll687, post: 5342902, member: 88675"...................................

I was wondering. The past few $1 per gallon has been on the same tanks you mentioned and no longer on the 40b and 55g.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back