Salt mix for reef tank..

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advise and tips guys. And yes @Jekyl im going to be doing corals so I'm going slow no rush rn.. doing alot of DD and research so I don't kill all my stock.. what would you guys suggest on lighting? @Greybeard @Uncle99
T5's... old school, and less expensive, to start with, at least. Especially on larger tanks. Haven't ever seen a coral that won't grow under T5's.

The Neptune SKY is intriguing. Too new... I haven't even seen one in person yet, but if I were starting out today, I might look at this one. Yeah, it's expensive, but seems like it may well be _the_ light this year. Lots of high end reefers going that way.

Kessel + Supplement (T5, or perhaps the Reefbright XHO or Orphek OR3 strips?). This sort of a system has long been an accepted 'top choice' among reefers. Get that Halide 'shimmer', along with a blanket of light from the supplements to eliminate shadowing. I'm in this camp myself, using an Aquaticlife hybrid (4x T5) coupled with a pair of Kessel AP700's.

The Aquaticlife hybrid isn't a bad choice to start with. You can light a tank quite well with just the 4x T5's, and add your choice of LED's later, as you need them.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC has some beautiful, healthy corals but their prices are borderline ridiculous even during sales. Same with TSA. The best advice I can give is when you're ready for corals join a couple Facebook groups and purchase from fellow hobbyists or from the forums here. You will save a heck of a lot of money and make friends in the hobby as well. Just my two cents.
Can you list a couple/few of groups etc?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back