Salt mixes... what's your favorite and why?

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just trying to gather some info to make a decision. I'm building a 280 gallon mixed reef/fish system. Just curious what others like for their salt mixes and why. What are the benefits or issues you've experienced with different salts? Right now I have a small nano aqaurium for my son who is patiently awaiting for the big system to be built. The setup is only about 3 weeks old and I am currently using Brightwell's Neo-Marine. Seems to be good. Mixes up clear with very little precipitation. Ph seems to be right on the money. Just too early to obviously tell long term benefits or negative issues. Any info or experiences greatly appreciated.

ecamden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like brightwell. I don't have to buffer it and it mixes at 1.025 so the bucket actually makes 150g vs others that make what they claim at 1.020 etc. It's fairly clean when it mixes too. I switched from IO reef crystals and not having to add calcium before a water change is nice. I've had better colors and growth as well

OP
OP
RobW

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like brightwell. I don't have to buffer it and it mixes at 1.025 so the bucket actually makes 150g vs others that make what they claim at 1.020 etc. It's fairly clean when it mixes too. I switched from IO reef crystals and not having to add calcium before a water change is nice. I've had better colors and growth as well

Awesome! Yeah the salinity was spot on when I mixed it up as well.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea. 10% change per week. I mix both the blue and black buckets - 50/50 . Gives me 9.0 alk. I used Reef Crystals on my last tank but did not like all the left over stuff in the barrel after mixing.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like good old purple box Instant Ocean. It has a long history and I believe it's the number one salt sold. My interest in doing water changes is to have regular ocean water.....and IO is one of the closest for that. I started reefing with Reef Crystals, but noticed on water change days a swing in alk and calc. I'm a two part doser and don't need those high numbers in my salt mix.

ecamden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea. 10% change per week. I mix both the blue and black buckets - 50/50 . Gives me 9.0 alk. I used Reef Crystals on my last tank but did not like all the left over stuff in the barrel after mixing.
Agree with the reef crystals. I had to clean my storage tank way too often. Also my corals would slime a lot after a water change with it too.

Raptor777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have always used reef crystals, but recently switched over to Fritz and my corals haven't looked happier and healthy.

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with the reef crystals but didn't like the high alkalinity and the numbers seem to be up and down with it. I use aquavitro salinity now it makes 220 gallons of water at 1.026 and the numbers are perfect also has a batch specific analysis on every bucket

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first tank with Brightwell Neo Marine and am still using it today. Always mixes up the same and the parameters are spot on for my tank.

I know exactly how much to use to get 1.026.

No residue. Mixes quickly although I still mix for 12+ hours.

I currently do a 28 gallon wc once a month on a system with approx 130 gallons of water.

I doubt I will ever have a reason to change.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Brightwell, Red Sea, and LiveAquaria. I will be sticking with LiveAquaria since it matches my parameters, mixes clean, and is sold at a reasonable price (especially after discounts). Both Coral Pro and Neomarine mixed at much too high and low values for my liking (Coral Pro at 12 dKH and Neomarine at 6.7 dKH).

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently, instant ocean, because I bought 6 buckets for $120 total....once that runs out, my favorite will be whatever is the best value. I’ve never noticed any difference in my tank’s health based on salt mix. I go with whatever is cheapest but still reputable.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular IO, and have LPS and Softie tank. No need for the higher levels with me, so why pay for what I'm not gonna use. I used reef crystals for a while, but it would leave residue in the buckets/container. No mixing issues with the regular IO.

OP
OP
RobW

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first tank with Brightwell Neo Marine and am still using it today. Always mixes up the same and the parameters are spot on for my tank.

I know exactly how much to use to get 1.026.

No residue. Mixes quickly although I still mix for 12+ hours.

I currently do a 28 gallon wc once a month on a system with approx 130 gallons of water.

I doubt I will ever have a reason to change.
Good to know. I will be setting up a 75 gallon saltwater mixing tank that will run litermeters for auto water changes. Going to set it to change water 5 days a week. That way when it is time for new batch of saltwater I can refill the tank with fresh rodi, mix my salt on a Saturday and let it stir over the balance of the weekend before it picks back up on mondays to restart the auto water change cycle.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all the main stream salt mixes over the years. Personally for me HW and Fritz are what I have found to be best. Both mix up clean, clear and quickly. Alk cal and mag are right where I need them to be for my reef tank. Lastly the price for a 200g box of either salt is great, I pay $55 after tax for a box of Fritz.
List of salt I have used.
IO
IO Reef Crystals
Tropic Marin Pro
Coral Life
Oceanic
DD H2Ocean
Red Sea
Red Sea Coral Pro
HW Marine
HW Reefer
Kent
Seachem Salinity
Brightwell Neo Marine

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I will be setting up a 75 gallon saltwater mixing tank that will run litermeters for auto water changes. Going to set it to change water 5 days a week. That way when it is time for new batch of saltwater I can refill the tank with fresh rodi, mix my salt on a Saturday and let it stir over the balance of the weekend before it picks back up on mondays to restart the auto water change cycle.

That sounds great! I would love to be able to do something like that. Unfortunately I’m on a slab and the tank is isolated:(

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 275 gallon SPS system. I use Live Aquaria's salt - mixes right at 8.5 dkh @ 1.0264. Leaves no brown residue like IO/RC. Mixes clear very quickly, each box I've gotten so far has been pretty consistent with alk when I mix it. You can get it from Petco or Live Aquaria for < $35 for a 200 gallon box.

I've used Red Sea, IO/RC, Fritz and Tropic Marin Pro in the past.

Gaufl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!
I really like the Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt.
With it being a probiotic salt and me having a LPS tank with a few NPS (so I like to feed a lot!), It keeps my nutrients in check.
Also mixes super fast with stable parameters and comes with an ICP test certificate.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first started out with Fritz and did not like the fact that it was too inconsistent, have now switched to tropic marin and love it. Mixes clear, salinity is at 1.26 and love the trace elements it supplies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back