Salt mixes... what's your favorite and why?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of ways to waste money in this hobby …. buying a premium salt is one of them (in my opinion). I have never found the choice of salt to be a driver of success or failure, particularly if you dose or use a CaRx, so I go with the least expensive credible option = IO. I know people can get all hung up over precise levels of this and that , and if that's your thing then so be it. It's not mine.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used IO for decades. Can’t remember how I ended up with some Brightwell, but I ended up liking the results enough that I switched a few years ago and it’s all I’ve used since.

OP
OP
RobW

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great! I would love to be able to do something like that. Unfortunately I’m on a slab and the tank is isolated:(
Fortunately for me, my wife and I are renovating our home. So while we are doing so I am running all new lines for that and dedicated circuits for lighting and equipment.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read so many people fussing about salt mixes not mixing crystal clear immediately, or even leaving a little coating on their buckets. Is that really bothersome enough to pay 1.5-2x as much for salt? I never understood the fuss with clarity. Do people show others the inside of their mixing containers as part of their display or something??

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular IO, and have LPS and Softie tank. No need for the higher levels with me, so why pay for what I'm not gonna use. I used reef crystals for a while, but it would leave residue in the buckets/container. No mixing issues with the regular IO.
I have used Reef Crystals from the beginning, 4 yrs, and I now Hate it! Very High Alkalinity, 14 dKH, crashed my tank, killed all my Acros. Instant Ocean customer service is hopeless and pathetic, phone or emails. I’m still dealing with this crash, still buffering the salt mix, 500 ml of Vinegar to 45 gal of fresh mix to reduce Alkalinity to 10.3 dKH.
I’m looking for a new salt, regular Instant Ocean is cost effective on a larger tank

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read so many people fussing about salt mixes not mixing crystal clear immediately, or even leaving a little coating on their buckets. Is that really bothersome enough to pay 1.5-2x as much for salt? I never understood the fuss with clarity. Do people show others the inside of their mixing containers as part of their display or something??

It was a pain to clean. And by pain, I mean I didn't want to do it and it would build up over time.

But now I switch to the regular instant overran and have no problems.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean because it has been around for decades upon decades upon decades. is the most widely used salt both privately and publicly and is cheap.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro, mixes super fast, no heat required, and leaves no brown grime in the bucket. I may make a change when I can actually store large amounts of water, but this works for now.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do everything out of 5 gallon buckets, and I don't want them sitting around the house, so the faster a salt mixes and the less cleaning I have to do after the better. Tropic Marin Pro also doesn't require a heater so I can do multiple buckets at one time with less equipment and have them all done at the same time. Even if I did have a large container, that brown sludge would bother me.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Reef Crystals from the beginning, 4 yrs, and I now Hate it! Very High Alkalinity, 14 dKH, crashed my tank, killed all my Acros. Instant Ocean customer service is hopeless and pathetic, phone or emails. I’m still dealing with this crash, still buffering the salt mix, 500 ml of Vinegar to 45 gal of fresh mix to reduce Alkalinity to 10.3 dKH.
I’m looking for a new salt, regular Instant Ocean is cost effective on a larger tank

That's a serious amount of vinegar in your water... I use +/- 15ml of Muriatic Acid to drop the Alk in 40g. All that vinegar might be messing with your Nitrates and acros hate that too.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular old IO. My acros love it and I've never had any sort of brown stuff or sludge in my mixing barrel. I mix up a months worth at a time (40g). I have to drop the Alk and sometimes boost the Mag, but Cal is usually right at 400.

mikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting off my 1st tank now and currently going through cycling process. I went with tropic marin pro bc it is what my local aquarium store had and have read good reviews. So far, mixes clean/clear and quickly in my mixing station. Cant comment on values yet. Any reviews on the tropic marin pro??

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting off my 1st tank now and currently going through cycling process. I went with tropic marin pro bc it is what my local aquarium store had and have read good reviews. So far, mixes clean/clear and quickly in my mixing station. Cant comment on values yet. Any reviews on the tropic marin pro??
Tropic Marin Pro is a great salt. I just don't use it because I'm too cheap. That's the only salt I would consider other than IO if money were no object.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM pro is great....

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do everything out of 5 gallon buckets, and I don't want them sitting around the house, so the faster a salt mixes and the less cleaning I have to do after the better. Tropic Marin Pro also doesn't require a heater so I can do multiple buckets at one time with less equipment and have them all done at the same time. Even if I did have a large container, that brown sludge would bother me.

Fair enough. My take away is “because I don’t like it”. I mix my IO for 20 minutes and use it immediately.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used IO for over a year but had serious issues keep parameters up. If I did small water changes every few days it was ok but I don’t have time for that. I found I was dosing tons of A & B just to keep calcium above 360-380. So, I switched to Red Sea Pro. I love it. I dose half as much and my parameters are staying right where I like them. It also mixes quickly and cleanly. Only drawback is I have to order it.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all the main stream salt mixes over the years. Personally for me HW and Fritz are what I have found to be best. Both mix up clean, clear and quickly. Alk cal and mag are right where I need them to be for my reef tank. Lastly the price for a 200g box of either salt is great, I pay $55 after tax for a box of Fritz.
List of salt I have used.
IO
IO Reef Crystals
Tropic Marin Pro
Coral Life
Oceanic
DD H2Ocean
Red Sea
Red Sea Coral Pro
HW Marine
HW Reefer
Kent
Seachem Salinity
Brightwell Neo Marine

I used HW Marine for years and started to move to Tropic Marin Pro. I see you tried TM-Pro and are going back to HW. Can you please share why?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt.
Its greeeeeeeeat on homemade popcorn

29455_XXX_v1.jpg

Oh....wait.... aquarium salt? You get what you pay for ;)

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back