Salt portal for reservoir lid

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a polyethylene container with a lid that I use for mixing salt water (essentially a square brute trash can.) I’m trying to figure out a good way of making a small port hole in the top that I can use to add salt without taking the entire lid off but then seal up again. Any ideas?

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only idea that comes to mind is something like this. Used for the diy mesh screen tank tops for a feeding portal and it opens and closes and would attach with plastic hex screws so they would rust. The only thing is if you want it “sealed” maybe some type of plastic zip tied to make it covered over the vents?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen others use these as well.
Only idea that comes to mind is something like this. Used for the diy mesh screen tank tops for a feeding portal and it opens and closes and would attach with plastic hex screws so they would rust. The only thing is if you want it “sealed” maybe some type of plastic zip tied to make it covered over the vents?

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions.

I found one of these at the BORG. I trimmed it a bit and cut a hole so it fits snug in the lid of my reservoir. (It's snug enough that it won't come out easily, but my plan was to trim off a piece of a rubber coupling to put underneath it it was too loose.) The cap in the picture is actually a pipe test cap. It's loose but makes a good dust cover. I'll see how it works - if I want something tighter I can use a rubber cap but I think this will be perfect.
IMG_1316.jpeg
IMG_1315.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back