Paulo Faria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys. Nice to meet you all.
My first post. Be gentle :)

I bought Red sea salt (coral pro salt) to start my reef. The issue is that I don't know exactly how much salt per litre. I understand that the bucket has some values, but on the other hand I also see values for this from other members and they don't match. I'm planing to insert some LPS corals.

Thanks in advance.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! The general rule for most salts is 1/2 cup per gallon of salt. I used to use Red Sea salt and started with that method until I got it down! Would love to see pictures of your build!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after some amount of time you will know the exact amount of salt to mix in your water to get the right salinity every time. But until then, you need a salinity tester (either a swing arm or refractometer or hanna checker) and test often. Salinity is one of the most important things to check daily

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the others have said, 1/2 cup/g is about right. How much you will need is determined by just exactly how much water you are mixing up. Even if you are using a standard 5g bucket, unless it is filled to exactly the same spot and is the same temperature every time, the amount of salt you use will vary slightly.

To solve that problem for myself, I use a 55g barrel fitted with a safety overflow. That way it stays filled to exactly the same spot every time. I also keep a heater and powerhead in it to keep the water at temp and to help mix the salt. What that means for me is that it takes 1 x 50g bag plus 2 scoops from a measuring cup that I've been using now for 30 years. It mixes right to 1.025 every time. I still check it before use anyway, justincase.

It is best to start out with a little less salt than you think you'll need, allow it to dissolve, check it, and then sneak up on the final amount.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it you will be checking with a refractomer or something to check your salinity anyway but just want a rough guide on how much is required to get you most of the way?

Id add a few cups then test and so on until you get to the mark you need. Then remember how many it took for next time. As youve already said, lots of conflicting numbers and its a fairly simple job to add and test that its completely worth finding your own amount/level.

OP
OP
P

Paulo Faria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it you will be checking with a refractomer or something to check your salinity anyway but just want a rough guide on how much is required to get you most of the way?

Id add a few cups then test and so on until you get to the mark you need. Then remember how many it took for next time. As youve already said, lots of conflicting numbers and its a fairly simple job to add and test that its completely worth finding your own amount/level.
Yes, I'll check with the refractometer. I'll try what the other guys are suggesting. I'll start with 1/2 cup/g (after I translate it to Kg and litres :) :))

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same salt and the aforementioned mixture gets you pretty close. However I always have to make some adjustments after using my refractometer to verify.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys. Nice to meet you all.
My first post. Be gentle :)

I bought Red sea salt (coral pro salt) to start my reef. The issue is that I don't know exactly how much salt per litre. I understand that the bucket has some values, but on the other hand I also see values for this from other members and they don't match. I'm planing to insert some LPS corals.

Thanks in advance.

I use Coral Pro, normally if I need to make salt water I just keep dumping in salt and test every 15 minutes.

OP
OP
P

Paulo Faria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, now I have another SMALL issue. Trying to convert cups to grams and realised that UK cup are different from US cup. ahahahah. I just want to salt my water.... :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, now I have another SMALL issue. Trying to convert cups to grams and realised that UK cup are different from US cup. ahahahah. I just want to salt my water.... :)
Refractometer with calibration liquid is really the only way to go. I wouldn't go off just gallons to cups ratio

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back