d. Added Torch, Hammer & 2 Play Frags
e. Working on getting Blue Clam, Echinata, one more torch and Blasto

Current Tank Parameters
Nitrates : 5-10 ppm
Phos : 0 ppm
Alk - 7.8
Ca - 400
Mag - 1200

Will bring Mag to 1350 in the next 25 days. Things are coming along.

Happy Reefing
26DCE960-7165-44C2-A75D-4D52AA67B612.jpeg
85A46F35-832E-4B87-9B21-D8AF53966CD6.jpeg
AC9BEBC1-51A4-495B-902C-60B4273039A7.jpeg
DD2A9A2E-4786-4B3D-A482-6DC20C566C24.jpeg
85042C8C-B5E8-44F1-98C7-D76CD5A19C79.jpeg
9A543E56-3BA3-4F86-BF1E-2D5F76593988.jpeg
F7A3B602-62B7-4B93-891A-A7E919360577.jpeg
5B53445C-61D5-40F5-AEB9-729D28A35C92.jpeg

MichaelGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good bud! Keep it up! Sorry about the losses but it’s part of the hobby unfortunately. Looking forward to more updates.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good bud! Keep it up! Sorry about the losses but it’s part of the hobby unfortunately. Looking forward to more updates.
@MichaelGee thank you... I know its kind of what we go thru!!

Im working on adding more corals, this weekend.... Then ill get a lens to take better videos and pics. I used to but not back at it as of now..

But im noticing that the water is still not as clear as I want it to be... Still lot of work to do on water clarity.... May be cos its BB and still has bacteria??

MichaelGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible bacterial bloom? Could just be your rock leaching some silicates. Should clear up fine over time.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major Update coming up....

Lot of corals added last weekend. They are settling down. Will post pics and videos. Doing a 20% water change as a lot of stuff got added.

Current Parameters
Alk - 7.6
Ca - 400-410
Mag - 1240
Nit ~ 10
Phos - 0

Im going to add AB+ once a week @ 1/2 the recommended dose and get scrubber offline for 2 weeks. I just need Phos to build a little and with AB+ addition I think it will help. I dont want 0 Phos. Its like im navigating dangerous waters !

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -

Tank nearing 5 month mark. Added more corals and somehow now I’m battling some brown stuff on the rocks. Not sure if it’s a sudden drop in Nutrients, I’m just hoping it’s not Dino... ‍♂️

Alk - 7.9
Ca - 410
Mg - 1280
Pho - 0
No3 - 10

Here is a pic and video will be uploaded separately. I’m still to get to taking good pictures. But I can definitely say BB is not so much fun the 1st year. Water clarity, bacteria and algae fights, what not. I’m just hoping for a settled tank sooner than later.

BEFORE ADDING MORE CORALS
54499C10-7CB0-447B-859D-07026AE52CBA.jpeg

AFTER ADDING LAST WEEKEND
0B90F584-68E7-4BAF-85FE-5915DB9615A6.jpeg

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch Garden - Dragon Soul in the fore ground, Purple Torch and Hell Fire in the back ground.
Lets see how it goes. Let me know what you think about the flow.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a mapping of PAR this weekend using SENEY!! Pic for reference only. Did this @ 50% and 100% Intensity.. Color will remain @ 45% thru out my photo Period.

1617076575355.png

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after adding corals. My coralline growth stunted!! Then I started noticing brown or whatever the color that is on my rocks!! So im being calm and not doing anything crazy!! Next thing u know im glad Ryan and Randy did the video on BB and DR last weekend. Its the same exact thing, but then not as bad as what Ryan experienced with his 360 setup..

This got me thinking too, shall I add sand and be done with it? It wont be a full blown SPS, primarily mixed reef with easy SPS upto at the 200 par range. So im thinking ill add sand, add Goby and Shrimp to complement and clean up. I know my dead zone where stuff accumulates, granted it wont be the same when u add sand. Still I can siphon the front end.

This is just going thur my head now! Soo confused as to what to do. I am 5 months into this tank and doing all the rite things, still the clarity of water isnt there!! I keep getting gunk here and there! It gets frustrating, but i keep reminding my self to relax!! So this weekend is a big decision I will make on the sand vs. no sand debate and settle it once for all.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 Month Update - 31.03.2021

Moving Along Fine.
Alk - 7.8 dKH
Ca - 410 ppm
Mg - 1320 ppm
Nit < 10ppm
Phos : 0 ppm

Awaiting ICP testing and will also see if I want to continue to go BB or add sand.
Definitely moving this tank direction, towards mixed reef and LPS dominant system.

Last edited:

Jon0807

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it, but in the beginning, you mentioned using a media basket instead of the sock on one side. Are those sock holders removeable on the waterbox?

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it, but in the beginning, you mentioned using a media basket instead of the sock on one side. Are those sock holders removeable on the Waterbox?
Yes, they are removable. Need to use a razor blade and the supports come rite off. Not difficult.

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big hello from Monaco !
I read carefully all your posts. Very well documented and beautiful set-up ! You did things so well. I might copy you if you are ok with that. No tank yet but I am seriously preparing my project. That is why I would have several questions about your personal setup. You would be so kind if you could help me...

1/ First, could you give the dimensions of your custom stand ?
2/ What is the "'white box" at the rear of your stand ? It is not indicated in the equipment list...
1619356567081.png

3/ You write about RO water, not RODI. Does it mean you do not use a deionization cartridge?You do not think it is necessary for a mixed reef ?
4/ Do you still use a CO2 scrubber with your skimmer? I do not see it on the pictures... What is the model and where is it placed?
5/ Wife Acceptation Factor :) In that respect, I am a bit scared about the increase of humidity in our appartment... I believe a closed lid would be a solution to limit evaporation. Do you still use the glass lid you show on some pictures? It does not decrease the light too much?
6/ Algae scrubber: where did you put it ? I can not see it in the pictures ?
7/ Finally : nice floating rocks to limit some softies to invade the tank. How did you proceed? Stick to the glass with hard glue?

By the way, I also watch the shows on BRS TV. They clearly mentioned on several occasions that the first 12/18 months with a BB are wayyyyy more complicated (algea, bacteria bloom...). So I guess the troubles you have are perfectly normal even if you do "everything right", as you wrote.

All the best for your continuation !!

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big hello from Monaco !
I read carefully all your posts. Very well documented and beautiful set-up ! You did things so well. I might copy you if you are ok with that. No tank yet but I am seriously preparing my project. That is why I would have several questions about your personal setup. You would be so kind if you could help me...

1/ First, could you give the dimensions of your custom stand ?
2/ What is the "'white box" at the rear of your stand ? It is not indicated in the equipment list...
1619356567081.png

3/ You write about RO water, not RODI. Does it mean you do not use a deionization cartridge?You do not think it is necessary for a mixed reef ?
4/ Do you still use a CO2 scrubber with your skimmer? I do not see it on the pictures... What is the model and where is it placed?
5/ Wife Acceptation Factor :) In that respect, I am a bit scared about the increase of humidity in our appartment... I believe a closed lid would be a solution to limit evaporation. Do you still use the glass lid you show on some pictures? It does not decrease the light too much?
6/ Algae scrubber: where did you put it ? I can not see it in the pictures ?
7/ Finally : nice floating rocks to limit some softies to invade the tank. How did you proceed? Stick to the glass with hard glue?

By the way, I also watch the shows on BRS TV. They clearly mentioned on several occasions that the first 12/18 months with a BB are wayyyyy more complicated (algea, bacteria bloom...). So I guess the troubles you have are perfectly normal even if you do "everything right", as you wrote.

All the best for your continuation !!
Hello @DarkTonio

Thank you for your kind words and encouraging comments. Id be more than happy to give all the details.

a. Stand is 21.5” deep, 35” high, 36” wide. On this I've used 3/4" plywood and then Duco Paint with epoxy coating
b. The White box is a step down transformer. As all my equipment is 120V from US, while im in India with 240V. I plugged the EB832 and EB8 into this box.
c. Im sorry for the confusion. Its RODI. I use double RO for extra output and double DI as well. Definitely 0 TDS water. Even if its a Fish only system id use RODI
d. I am currently using a Co2 scrubber and I have to say, it is consistently maintaining my pH at higher levels between 8.2-8.3. Happy with it and have coralline growing nicely. I am going to add pics. But basically its a somantic reactor cylinder, that I have filled with the media and running the air intake thru it. It is placed on the rear side on the tank. Will add pics in 2-3 days as Im out of town now.
e. Humidity so far has not been an issue for me. Its always 28-30 deg in the house, but nothing to worry about. You should be fine. Id use a mesh lid and not a fully acrylic lid as it definitely reduced light.
f. Algae scrubber is in the 2nd rear chamber. Need to add pics of that too. I will soon.
g. For rock scape, ive used epoxy that is good for any kind of water application and it does not leach. What ive used is specifically called mSeal, pic below. Ive used that and added support to cure the rock. All Curing was dry and it was cured for over a week before any kind of water contact. THIS IS THE KEY. Even for my rock scape, ive used AF Cement, Epoxy and glue to bring things together.

1619588376629.png

All in All, its a CHALLENGE to have Dry Rock & BB. If u ask me, I'd go sand. Add more bacteria and rather maintain the sand using critters, goby and siphoning whenever u can. It is WAY easier than this BB. If there is LR, then I believe stability is much faster.

Im referring to you with first hand experience. So a local reefer friend and I started tanks in similar time frames. He has a full blow SpS system already. The key difference, he used rocks from his existing tank and just did a transfer, while I started all new. In the same time frame his tank is thriving, while im struggling. So it just shows that LR with BB will be a lot more easier to work with than BB and DR. I think the answer is beyond 12 months and not sooner.

It will be a challenge to not have corals for that long. Being experienced and not the 1st tank, i took my time and did all the rite things, yet I am loosing my patience. It gets to a point where u want to enjoy the hobby and not stress over it.

SO ADD SAND MY FRIEND and ENJOY THE TANK. But PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN and EXECUTE

GOOD LUCK

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one year story on the WB had soo many twists... I am in a restart mode and this time, I am removing the AIO portion and adding a sump with overflow!! Go figure the journey change

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back