OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added YELLOW TANG... 1.5" fella. Been 10 days and he is doing great.
1607103934029.png

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -
Tank is almost 3 months now. Coralline is taking off and AWC is helping. Im feeding 3 times a day as there are active fish. Scrubber is ON and breaking in. I believe in the next 2-3 weeks, things will fall in place.

Ive switched from AF salt to RS Coral Pro. Alk needs to be stable and i feel RSCP will help keep parameters in check with the daily AWC. Once I see that I have consistent alk at around 9 or so, i will be adding Euphyllia and Zoas. So mostly next 15 days or so.
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 12.19.15 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 12.19.15 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 12.19.15 PM (2).jpeg

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major experience. AF salt mixes poorly and RSCP which i used before and switched back to again, mixes VERY Well. CRYSTAL CLEAR. Ill never use AF again

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STOCK LIST
A. Yellow Tang - 1
B. Ruby Long Fin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Rubeus) - 1
C. Blue Green Chromis - 4 (added 6, 4 made it)
D. Ocellaris Clown fish (Tank raised) - 2
E. Bi Color Blenny - 1
F. Turbo Snails - 3

Total 9 fish and 3 snails. Planning to add Banded Coral Shrimp and that's it.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,nice to see the coralline taking off ,always a good sign...except soon you will bb scraping it off that pretty glass:D
looking great,add a dozen trohcus snails ,will help with cleaning,pretty hardy,night workers;):cool:

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,nice to see the coralline taking off ,always a good sign...except soon you will bb scraping it off that pretty glass:D
looking great,add a dozen trohcus snails ,will help with cleaning,pretty hardy,night workers;):cool:
@fishguy242, Yeah scarping it off becomes the challenge. Just funny how things work. We crave for Coralline and then next thing you know once it takes off, now u have to struggle to keep the glass clean. ;)

I will take ur point and add a few more snails. Def they are working hard to keep the glass and rocks clean. I didn't want an explosion of snails u know and was worried if i have enough for them to eat. Def definitely they leave a LOT of poop around. I hate that.

Any suggestions on cleanup crew that also scavenge on fish waste?

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to add Banded Coral shrimp this week. Excited to finally be able to add shrimp to the setup*

Last edited:

MichaelGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I ran across this thread. Love laid out, methodical builds. Can't wait to see this tank mature. One of my favorite parts of this hobby was watching my hard work progress, adding my children to the mix was even more of a fun adventure. Awesome build man!

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I ran across this thread. Love laid out, methodical builds. Can't wait to see this tank mature. One of my favorite parts of this hobby was watching my hard work progress, adding my children to the mix was even more of a fun adventure. Awesome build man!
@MichaelGee, THANK YOU for your kind words and feedback. Makes me motivated even more ;Happy

And yeah having children involved is soo much fun. He helps me feed, hold the tube when I need to siphon and sometimes cleans the glass. LOVING it. There is good morning and good night Nemo everyday.... Lets see how this goes as the tank matures and corals are added. HAPPY REEFING

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 month update -

A. Coralline on steady rise.
B. 2000ml Daily AWC
C. All fish settled in
D. Banded Coral Shrimp added
E. Anemone added a week ago from a local reefer (close friend)
F. More turbos to be added in the coming week. Nothing available locally and awaiting shipment to come
G. Will measure all Parameters this Sunday and post update.

I plan to monitor Alk now everyday from Feb 1st Thru Feb 7th and see where the tank stands. It’s been a week of using RSCP salt for AWC and I’m hoping it will help me with increasing the Alk steadily and slowly without dosing yet.

If WC doesn’t cut it, then it will be dosing. Trying to stay away from 2 part at the moment.
EDA62D6B-6AA7-4145-A867-44D864AB0CFD.jpeg
EB04CE39-413A-4AA9-98E9-8B40B3A4CAC8.jpeg
BBD323D2-FDFF-42A6-A5E8-F29EED9087A3.jpeg

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update :

Had to re home the Banded Coral Shrimp. Too big for my tank, less hiding spots and not able to get food as well. Went into a 120g tank. Better home for this big shrimp.

I added fire fish as a replacement. It’s swimming out in the open and no tank mates bother it.

I’m awaiting shipment of Skunk cleaners and Brunns Cleanres. My worry is with the fairy wrasse settled in, it may go after the Brunns cleaners. So will add Skunk and see how it goes

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things to learn - NEVER EVER EVER do an impulse buy. Be it fish, inverts or corals. Here is why!!

a. After adding the Fire Fish Goby, I was like this is it. Stock list done for the 50g. Small fish mostly and different species. Everyone was doing great. Love the movement, colors and purpose for each fish. No aggression ;)
b. 2 days later, a close friend calls me, saying hey there is a McCoskers Flasher (male) just beautiful and about 2". I was hesitant, but went with it. Asked him to get it for me.
c. Why did i decided to add and think I may be OK, cos what I have is a Long Fin Fairy (Social wrasse) & My previous 45JBJ I had Lubbock and McCoskers. So thought 2 wrasses, different species and worked out earlier. Lets go with it
d. Day 1, darts into a hole, comes out swims around and darts back, I'm like acclimation.
e. Day 2, he is being chased around left right center by both Yellow Tang and Wrasse. I assumed dominance by the tank mates., they will figure it out.
e. Day 2, Evening i see white film all around the wrasse as I come back from work. Poor guy must have been trashed around badly.
f. I freaked out thinking its velvet or some disease, it was breathing heavily what not. I put the wrasse in acclimation box, then went on observation mode. But in the same tank, cos if I move it again its more stress.
g. The Long fin was attacking the box, i mean it was like rage. the color of Long Fin was BRIGHT RED.
h. So I observed the next day, the wrasse was fine, still sluggish, but the white stuff went away. He made the cocoon around when sleeping and all. Im like OK this is good sign. After 24hrs in the box, he was eating, swimming in the box. Put some pipes in and he slept that night in the pipes. @ 48 hr. mark, the wrasse was doing great. Nice Color and Shimmer, Blue and Red. But I knew I cant let him back in my tank.
g. So I Rehomed it last night, same friend who got it for me, took it for his tank.

This has been my Monday to Thursday and I was supposed to be checking Alk and Ca everyday actually. Never even got to that.

LONG STORY SHORT, even with previous experiences sometimes Wrasses may not work out in 50G tanks and always provide ample hiding spots. My scape has all that and I have made enough holes for the wrasses to pick and choose. But it was as if, the Long Fin Wrasse said - ALL ARE MINE. MY PRECIOUS.

Plus when u say "I'm done" just stick to it. DONT go for an impulse buy. Just don't.

SHARING MY EXPERIENCE.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad News this morning, I Lost my Fire Fish goby overnight. I think its ICH. I've had it in my system, but looks like the ICH population xploded and being a smaller fish, newer addition it could not handle.

I don't plan to do anything at the moment. I added garlic to the Nori this morning. Just making sure of my Yellow Tang. Again all fish are active, eating happily and swimming. Ill keep monitoring.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -

Tank nearing 4 month mark in 4 days.
I was out on business trip for 8 days. No one was at home too.

So I come back to this -

Everything is fine, except for BiColor Blenny. RIP, can’t even find him. Must have been taken care of by the clean up crew.

Rest of the Fish are fine. Im just feeding them 2 times a day and adding Nori 2 times a week for the Tang. Currently stocking @ 8 fish. I’ll just leave it here.

Ive increased my clean up crew.
9 Turbos, 2 Blue Leg Hermits & 4 Bumblebee Snails. Im still awaiting Shrimp shipment. I’ll be adding 2-3 cleaner shrimp as well.

Parameters is what I’m working on.
Alk - 6.2dKh Hannah
Cal - 330ppm Redsea
Mag - 1130Redsea
Nitrates - 20ppm
Phos - 0 ppm Hannah

I have to reduce nitrates. I plan on doing the following
A. 3 x 30% WC over the next week
B. Adding No3Po4x @ 3ml for few days to see what it does
C. Reduce feeding to 1 turn instead of 2 turns. I’ll still maintain @ 2 feedings.

Scrubber is ON, it’s forming algae but I need to starve it out of the display and make it go into Scrubber only. When I say algae it’s film algae and it’s also forming on the bottom glass. Nothing major, but I want to control Nitrates and reduce the imbalance im seeing.

I’ve started to dose 2Part to bring Alk, Calcium and Mg up. I’ll be doing 0.2 dkh and 30ppm on each component daily.

GOAL
Alk - 7.5 - 8.0
CA - 400-420
Mag - 1350-1375
Nitrates - <10ppm
Phos - 0 ppm

Phos must be something in the ULppb range. I don’t have a checker so can’t tell.

Will post pics and video at the end of the month. Still to add corals and I am
Sure I’m ready. But getting Parameters to the desired range first, is the goal. Time frame to achieve - 10 days.

Alrite, enough banter - LATER FOLKS HAPPY REEFING !!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back