Salt Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Aiptasia

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer has been shut down for the last couple weeks while waiting on replacement parts for the motor. I just left it hanging because my clownfish lives by the intake and freaks out when it’s removed. Noticed some algae growth and look a closer look. Hello, Aiptasia, my old friend.

Evidently Berghia Nudibranches are not always 100% effective, as I have not introduced anything new since. I even saw them crawling around inside the skimmer during the initial outbreak. Naturally these things showed up a few weeks after the Berghia’s all died out. Guess it’s only a matter of time before they reinfest the whole tank, and I have to start the process all over again.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else ever had this Anemone Menace return after being supposedly eradicated?

Yes, I also removed and sterilized the skimmer. Sadly not with napalm.

0755EB7F-204D-4A19-A0BC-F7DA9C02BFD7.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer has been shut down for the last couple weeks while waiting on replacement parts for the motor. I just left it hanging because my clownfish lives by the intake and freaks out when it’s removed. Noticed some algae growth and look a closer look. Hello, Aiptasia, my old friend.

Evidently Berghia Nudibranches are not always 100% effective, as I have not introduced anything new since. I even saw them crawling around inside the skimmer during the initial outbreak. Naturally these things showed up a few weeks after the Berghia’s all died out. Guess it’s only a matter of time before they reinfest the whole tank, and I have to start the process all over again.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else ever had this Anemone Menace return after being supposedly eradicated?

Yes, I also removed and sterilized the skimmer. Sadly not with napalm.

0755EB7F-204D-4A19-A0BC-F7DA9C02BFD7.jpeg
Berghia might not have been able to reach them all, so your 'eradication' edict may have been premature. In fact once infected, 'control' may be best scenario going forward

Have you considered Frank's F-Aiptasia to help keep controlled? Worked good for me for the one's I could find, so that's how I'm keeping under control.

Whatever method(s) you use, suggest you start aiptasia control early before they have opportunities to divide and then you've got even more to kill/control

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, if you take some arty photos and post them, you could start a new trend of building "aiptasia and valonia fantasy walls". I'm in -- I have both!

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia might not have been able to reach them all, so your 'eradication' edict may have been premature. In fact once infected, 'control' may be best scenario going forward

Have you considered Frank's F-Aiptasia to help keep controlled? Worked good for me for the one's I could find, so that's how I'm keeping under control.

Whatever method(s) you use, suggest you start aiptasia control early before they have opportunities to divide and then you've got even more to kill/control
Yeah, I’ve tried all that stuff. I’d nuke one and 5 more would show up. Only thing that ever reduced their numbers were the berghias.

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It always seems to comes back. You may not see it. It is a constant never 3ndingg battle. The best we do is control. My outbreaks are in my overflow, but it does creep in to tank and sump.

I use aptasia x, don't be fooled, all treatments can cause out breaks. You have to 1. Get it in the mouth and 2. Complete cover the animal. A single cell can reproduce.

I also have file fish in the tank, Peppermint shrimp in the overflow..I would use nudi, but they get sucked out of the sump.

I will also remove rock and let dry in the sun for a couple days...this way when the animal gets stresses and releases cells they are not in the water

Be aggressive and take multiple actions.

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ve tried all that stuff. I’d nuke one and 5 more would show up. Only thing that ever reduced their numbers were the berghias.
Peppermint shrimp worked wonderfully for me. Honestly it was a noticeable difference within a few days and within a week I didn't see aiptasia. I left one peppermint shrimp in the tank and remove the other.
The only negative effect I have is when I'm late on feeding I see a nibble on my Coral. Apparently he has one Coral that he likes more than others so I'm not sure if that one is going to make it. I figure after a month I will remove him and see how it goes.
I personally think it was worth the trouble and the coral of course if he would have ate something a lot more expensive I might have a different Outlook. Just a noobs opinion.

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with most natural aptasia killers is if they have other sources of food, they may hose not to eat the aptasia . Nudibrachs may be the exception.

Filefish are in the same family as triggers. In my dt the file fish is about the only options. I try to treat to over flow with Peppermint shrimp

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt get an aip filefish if i were you. they can become agressive corallivores if they get a taste for aptasia imo
Agreed. Mine wiped out all the aiptasia for sure, but then it took out all my rock flower nems and an elegance coral as well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back