Salt water tank sump set up

Poli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I have currently a filter cartridge setup for my 75 gallon reef tank. Yeah I know a filter cartridge isn’t ideal. I want to switch to a sump. BUT I have an idea on how to set up a sump (thinking of buying a tank and designing it myself). My only question is is there some sort of pump that of the power ***** off ***** off the section? If not all the water would drain out. Any ideas???????

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the question is how to keep the display from flooding the sump if the return pump shuts off?

If so, the return line needs to terminate close to the water surface, so it sucks air and breaks the siphon. Also, the sump needs to be large enough and filled to the correct level so it can handle a few gallons when the pump shuts off.

OP
OP
P

Poli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the question is how to keep the display from flooding the sump if the return pump shuts off?

If so, the return line needs to terminate close to the water surface, so it sucks air and breaks the siphon. Also, the sump needs to be large enough and filled to the correct level so it can handle a few gallons when the pump shuts off.
So it is a matter of having sufficient flow so the pump keeps the sump tank at a certain level. But with space for the sumpto accept more water in case it shuts off.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is a matter of having sufficient flow so the pump keeps the sump tank at a certain level. But with space for the sumpto accept more water in case it shuts off.

Yes. Generally speaking the sump always stays at same level when pump is running (minus evap if you don't do ato), but just needs to hold enough for power outages. As long as done properly it really is not that much extra space needed(larger footprint tanks need more extra space in sump)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the sump's water level will be the same regardless of pump. You don't have to match the pump to the sump. The pump's size can be anything from turning over the display a couple times an hour up to as much as is limited by the overflow.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me add an image to the discussion:
6A677FA5-CCB9-4D18-A770-394F92D22F26.jpeg

Here is the sump from my last tank. In this instance, the water from the drains enters the skimmer section on the left. The pump in the middle supplies the display above and the refugium on the right.

When the pump is off, the water in the display drains down until the return line sucks in air, the level in the display drops below the edge of the weir, and the drains empty. The weir (overflow box) is what keeps most of the water in the display. All that water fills the extra space in my sump to within about 1 inch of the rim.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, with the pump off, the sump is almost full and the display is noticeably low.

When the pump turns on, it begins raising the water level in the display. As this rises, water can flow over the weir, into the drain pipes, and back to the sump. After a few minutes, the levels will stabilize throughout the system.

I tend to mark the running level as well as the pump off level on the outside of my sump. The running level lets me ensure the ATO is working correctly, the pump off level I use for water changes.

Hope that helps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back