Salt Water Testing Help

badams92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are new to the salt water hobby and would like to test our water instead of going to the fish store every week. There are a number of choices for test kits including electronic testers from Hanna. With so many choices what do you recommend for a beginner that is easy to use and not overly complex? Ideally we would like to test all of the water parameters including phosphate, nitrates, CA and MG.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys have a series of videos where you can see the various test kits in use. This is the alkalinity video.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for specific gravity, calcium, alkalinity and nitrate. I use a Milwakee for the specific gravity and Salifert for the rest. These are the most accurate and easy to use and cost effective that I have seen over the years. You can get the other tests but as a beginner you aren't really going to understand what they mean at first. Plus you need to get a feel for how your tank works.

Also I want to point out if you have your tank long term a large testing regimine will become exhausting and it will quickly sap your enthusiasm for your tank. You will learn which tests are neccessary to test regularly. I test alkalinity every other day and I test nitrate in between those days. The only reason that I am watching nitrate closely is because I have a mature tank that is consuming it heavily and I am trying to establish a baseline for dosing and feeding. My other tank is new and I am watching it to make sure the nitrate doesn't get over the top. Long term testing for me is pretty much just alk.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back