Saltwater Aquarium Advice

eddiemblanco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I recently got into reefing and it is about my 5th week with my saltwater aquarium. I was just wondering what wave maker and gravel cleaner do y'all recommend for my 5 gallon tank? I bought this one gravel cleaner at pet smart but I feel like it does not pick up any of the fish poop or debris. I also bought the fluval wave maker and it was pretty big and way too powerful for my tank. Any advice would help.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer python gravel siphon myslef although I rarely use it, and don't usually bother with wavemakers but when I do I get one that's adjustable.

This may be redundant but if your new one piece of advice I'd give is initially for the first year or so to check alaklinity frequently and check pH, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium at least weekly. Here's some videos you may find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eddie! What are you planning to keep in your 5-gallon tank (assuming that's not a typo)? A tank that small will not be forgiving when it comes to swinging parameters, which will be hard on most livestock.

Amazon has a little powerhead that would be appropriate. I run it in my QT tank. I'll link it below.

Have you added any cleanup crew to keep your sandbed clean? Again, in a tank that tiny, disturbing the sandbed could cause a crash. I'd let a few nassarius snails start working on it for you.

AQUANEAT Aquarium Powerhead...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back