Saltwater cycling

Dee tre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to the game. I decided to go saltwater but first I was cycling my tank to do freshwater with no major chems added to the freshwater out side of Api quick start, stress coat, and start right.

I continued the cycle for 6 days and decided to go saltwater mixed in salt by emptying the tank in to a 20 gallon trash can and mixing in ocean salt mix, I'm using a 20 gallon sump on a 55g tank with all saltwater accessories that I need tank has been in cycle for a total of 14 days so far 1 week fresh and 1 week salt... IS THIS POSSIBLE OR DID I CREATE A PROBLEM IN THE LONG RUN. I used fritz turbo and ammonia after the saltwater set up and it seem to be doing fine but idk.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not create a problem no, it's fine.

You can always check how your cycle is going by measuring your parameters. How are you parameters and how have they been changing?

OP
OP
D

Dee tre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not create a problem no, it's fine.

You can always check how your cycle is going by measuring your parameters. How are you parameters and how have they been changing?
My ammonia was at 5.0 ppm this morning I checked 9hrs later it had dropped to 0.25ppm nitrite and nitrate are low my ph is at 8.0 so believe it's doing what it's supposed to.
I was told once my ammonia level drop my nitrite and nitrate would rise but there at 1 and 20

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is doing fine. Nitrate at 20 is not particularly "low" but not an issue either. For a newly started tank, your levels appear about right.

Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dee tre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is doing fine. Nitrate at 20 is not particularly "low" but not an issue either. For a newly started tank, your levels appear about right.

Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg
I have live sand and about 25lb of rock with a few lbs being live rock from LFS it's like my first date I'm excited and nervous at the same time but I'm patient

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told once my ammonia level drop my nitrite and nitrate would rise but there at 1 and 20
This only applies to cycling where there is basically minimal nitrifier from the start, and well, a lot of ammonia converted. There is no necessity for nitrite to appear, especially because you dosed a bottled bac product, and especially because it is the best bottled bac product (Fritz Turbo).

Chances you have plenty of ammonia and nitrite-oxidizers from the start.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back