Saltwater Fish & Coral Feeding Tips: GIve a Tip, Take a Tip!

When it comes to feeding fish and coral.....

• I have a lot to learn

Votes: 100 44.1%
  • I'm still learning a little

Votes: 101 44.5%
  • I've got it mastered

Votes: 21 9.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PPs DIY Premium Frozen Fish Food

C4A96893-C765-469B-B1D3-24251D6A3938.jpeg
75% Fresh (human grade/no flavorings or preservatives) shrimp w heads and 25% shellfish w shell juice (makes the fish go crazy for it), some selcon and spirulina powder, grind up and freeze. Regrind frozen chunks to make nice bits for ez feeding.

5EEE338B-CAD4-4521-AA87-09CEE7038A3B.jpeg

$15-20 worth of ingredients nets me enough premium frozen food for about 4-6mo. I don’t make huge lots beyond that because I fear it would freezerburn being in the freezer too long. Compared to 20$ a month or so for store bought frozen that’s prob not as nutritious and this is very clean in the water column compared to some others as well. Never had a fish that didn’t loose their minds trying to eat this simple recipe.

This is awesome!
dumb question, but how do chop it all up, food processor, blender, by hand with a knife?

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just "rescued" a 6" sailfin... how much should I expect to feed per day?

Printing out a suction cup seaweed screen feeder... So far it eats anything I put in the tank, mysis, brine, flake, pellet... I want to make sure it stays healthy though, so I hope thats not all junk food. My other fish are clowns, filefish, engineer goby, wrasse, chromis, dragonette. The dragonette is another rescue it eats anything as well so don't give me grief :) 150g

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome!
dumb question, but how do chop it all up, food processor, blender, by hand with a knife?
I use a grinder attachment on my Kitchenaid mixer, or a normal food grinder works best. I find the processor just turns the ingredients to dust when they hit the tank, and can't get them small enough with a knife
shopping.jpeg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is seal on? Feeling stupid

Selcon is a liquid vitamin supplement for fish. One of the few things most of us agree on actually liking that comes out of a bottle :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: It doesn't take much, only add about 2 tbs to the mush and 1tsp of spirulina powder (a little of this goes a long way).

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’m home I feed 5-7 times a day. 3-4 when I’m not.

Agree to keeping the fish fat and healthy but still 90% of the food is gone in 10 minutes.

can’t wait to start making my own Food. Just trying to use up the frozen I bought.

I like the trick of putting the frozen in the blender again to make it smaller chunks. Gonna use that.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals love feeding. But they and the tank hate nutrient excess much more.

4EA86B3F-A988-4E9E-BE5B-62DE106433ED.jpeg

Now I feed once a week, the day before my WC, and more important: phosphate below 0.05 is a prerequisite. If it is above that, no coral feeding…

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My corals absolutely love live phyto and live rotifers. I usually mix some benepets into our live phyto blend and broadcast feed. They have been thriving.

David Matthews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate when you go to spot feed corals and your fish follow behind and quickly make a fool out of you? My tip is to feed fish beforehand and then keep them at arms length while feeding my corals with my feeding tool (Julian's thing) and as soon as I'm done I turn off the lights so they can't see the food to steal it even if they wanted to, and you know they do. Works pretty well for me. Oh and when I feed the fish I mix a little bit of reef roids or benepets and aminos in to elicit a feeding response and to get em primed up for their soon to be 4 course meal.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed my 90G and bigger tanks every other day and made sure 80% or more was gone in 10 to 15 minutes. But I had a lot of CUC (by choice and a variety of animals) so they took care of the leftovers.

Now I have a 16g nano with just a HOB filter. It's only a couple of months old and it has just 12 small corals and a couple of bigger encrusting gorgonians. No fish, and I hope to keep it that way. I've recently added a lot of CUC for this small of a tank, so I'm feeding mostly for them. Just twice a week and with all the water flow turned off so the food settles. I also hang a clip with a 2"x2" piece of nori that rests on the bottom and every night so far, it has all been consumed!

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed daily around 6 pm my time, it is a blend of rod, mysis, and LFS (I think that is the name) once there are tangs in the tank I will add some various greens to that for them.
I have had great luck in the past being a little heavy handed in the feeding department with getting to watch some fish grow very nicely.
Once the tank is stable water changes were minimal and it all just seemed to work.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a grinder attachment on my Kitchenaid mixer, or a normal food grinder works best. I find the processor just turns the ingredients to dust when they hit the tank, and can't get them small enough with a knife
shopping.jpeg
Nice.

I went with a cheapo blender, didn't want the other half freaking out that there is 'fish stuff' in her vitamix.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen fresh mussels grated with a kitchen grater feed most if not all of the living things in your tank. As it's a plankton eater it is probably the most nutricious. Found it as a good option to feed pseudoanthias but turned to be a game changer.

Back