Saltwater garden: What is your experience with Rock Flower Anemones?

What is your experience with Rock Flower Anemones (RFAs)?

• I currently have RFAs in my tank.

Votes: 253 49.8%
  • I have kept RFAs in the past.

Votes: 50 9.8%
  • I have not kept RFAs in the past but hope to in the future.

Votes: 137 27.0%
  • I have no plans to keep RFAs.

Votes: 64 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 0.8%

• Total voters

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of them in my reef tanks in all kinds of lovely colors. Mine have been able to reproduce in my tanks. They never have killed fish or harmed a coral. They add fluffiness and great colors when the blue lights are on.

Attachments

• IMG_3455.JPG
    IMG_3455.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 51

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an absolutely stunning rock flower anemone pictured! I have 5 currently; none have bred (yet) and they're quite happy overall. I would love to get more - shipments from the Caribbean have been hit and miss, so nothing really exciting has been available for the last year or so.
Check the deals at hellfire frags.

InsideThePoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the best way to attach them to rock work ? Do you hold them in place until they anchor themselves ?

Last edited:

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the best way to attach them to rock work ? Do you hold them in place until they anchor themselves ?
Yes, this is what I do, it usually takes 5 or 10 mins for them to anchor enough to stay so prepare for a wait. If they don't want to stay there, they will move, but once they plant their foot, they usually stay put if the spot is favorable.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love RFA’s! They are easy to keep, don’t bother anything, host, and add amazing color to any tank.
1675B123-856D-4357-8C7C-56521E5904FD.jpeg
86064748-42DF-4E6B-ACC3-5BA207B69F32.jpeg
308DF5D9-4B8D-40BA-86F7-C8F8A9D4EFB8.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F893136-520F-4151-8FBE-1D63468CEE1C.jpeg
    7F893136-520F-4151-8FBE-1D63468CEE1C.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 44

Groovyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my first one from my local LFS last year. Placed where I wanted it and it attached immediately. I was so pleased I planned on going back and get the three that were left. Then an odd thing happened. My skunk cleaner shrimp relentlessly picked at causing it to ball up. The cleaner shrimp was obsessed. It moved then disappeared. It returned and then disappeared for good. That was over a year ago. Once the shrimp is gone I’ll definitely give it another go.
There are anenomie crabs that can be purchased that live in the regular size Anenomi but are too big to live in my RRA.They are porceline crabs and are the cutest critters. they protect the large Anenomie and keep the cleaner shrimp from stealing food and stressing the anomie to hide and die. I really dislike my
cleaner shrimp. It is a pest for sure!

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 8.
I got my first one about 6 years ago. On e I seen him spawning I knew I wanted more. No babies yet. Hopefully in my future.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some will find this interesting.

Here is a mother with two babies (bottom left and top of female). The baby on the bottom left is rather plain with a silver/grey skirt and orange face (this could change more over time). The baby up top, besides having grown a lot larger, is very different in appearance with an orangey/purple-y splatter-ish coloration with white stripes and a yellow mouth.

A lot of variation in color and appearance among RFA offspring.

IMG_4125.jpeg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooh, that one’s a beauty!

Yeah, it's a good one. It's just basic green, but it's got steel-gray tentacles. It's the only one I have which is photogenic, the others are all only half in view. One of them is olive-greenish-brown, but glows like Chornobyl under a black light.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a good one. It's just basic green, but it's got steel-gray tentacles. It's the only one I have which is photogenic, the others are all only half in view. One of them is olive-greenish-brown, but glows like Chornobyl under a black light.

I have one that looks similar but with a pinkish face. The steel grayish tentacles with the greenish undersides are really cool, because to me they sometimes take a soft cotton Candy blue-ish appearance under different lighting.

It’d be cool if you could snap a photo of the olive colored one you’re describing, it sounds really interesting!

IMG_4118.jpeg

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I currently have 1 rainbow and 1 plain orange R flower in my tank I have had them for over 10 years. I have them right near each other and they constantly have babies. Unfortunately the babies are always just orange and never rainbow. Sometimes the skirt is a different color. I must have gotten lucky and have one male and one female. Any one in Connecticut looking for a orange RFA for cheep hit me up. I will also trade for another color.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back