Saltwater mixing station trouble shooting

Kyle Seeley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I've been working hard lately and finally got a saltwater mixing station all hooked up and looking exactly how I would like! Depressing part is that once I got RO flowing into it the bulkheads developed a leak. Is it possible over-tightening, not getting a clean cut, or just low quality bulk heads could cause this? The bulkheads are at the bottom since everything is gravity fed so they are on a flat surface... any info helps! Even just the basics on how to install one! Thanks!!

1dd55efa90f2f5f19d46ffc6a6651454.jpg
8ce6c5390bf211555b2d718319661ed6.jpg
1c17920cdd332e2234b5728c1cd2aff0.jpg

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting set-up. Can't see leaking bulkhead in pic but a common mistake is that rubber washer needs to go against the bulkhead not the nut.

OP
OP
Kyle Seeley

Kyle Seeley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the washer is against the bulkhead side. I'm wondering if not getting a clean cut hole could have messed with the seal?

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't need to be round. Just needs to be surrounded by gasket with no burrs to inhibit proper seal. Could also be thinner plastic of trash can warping when filled with water.
I silicone all my bulkheads on acrylic but would probably try an epoxy on that one.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bottom where he drilled the bulkhead likely is flat. I'm assuming you didn't drill right into the ribs/bumps that brute cans gave ringing the bottom. If you did.....start over...

But yes a uniseal would work. That said you already have holes for bulkheads. A uniseal would likely require a smaller hole.

My guess would be it's not seated properly. Meaning the hole had some junk around it, or the gasket is improperly placed, or its too tight/not tight enough.
You can tighten a little more with the plastic brute can then you would with glass (not too tight to compress and misshape the rubber gasket) I usually give them 1 more turn when mounting on thin walled hdpe.

spieszak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom where he drilled the bulkhead likely is flat. I'm assuming you didn't drill right into the ribs/bumps that brute cans gave ringing the bottom. If you did.....start over....
Your right, I'm so used to seeing people drill through the side that I didn't even notice it was the bottom. My bad

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with anything, take it apart and see! Probably debris preventing a good seat.
Also, about that stand - it looks beafy with all those 4x4s and 2x4s, but all the water weight is on the screws holding the platforms to the 4x4s. Add some 2x4 'jack' studs under the first platform going to ground, then again from the first platform to the bottom of the 2nd. One at each corner. It is attached to the wall right?

OP
OP
Kyle Seeley

Kyle Seeley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies!

@don_chuwish, I completely agree with you. I am taking apart this weekend to check on the seal. Also I will take your advice on the jack studs. That should sturdy it up even more! And yes, it is attached to the wall.

@cilyjr, I did drill on the flattest part of the brute. I am going to try reseating the bulk head this weekend. But if it continues to leak I will try and switch to a uniseal. According to marine depot the holesaw size is the same for both fittings!

Overall though what do you guys think? Is the design pretty practical? Didn't have the money to do all of the fancy pumping some others are doing. First time attempting something like this!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I think it's fine. Can you gravity feed new salt water to the tank or is it bucket work? Adding a pump in future would be simple enough. I went vertical on mine too for the sake of footprint and using gravity. I can run a hose to the ATO reservoir to refill it with gravity alone.

OP
OP
Kyle Seeley

Kyle Seeley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is bucket work! I just wanted something neater than what I had going on up in the attic. Tank is too far away to be able to do anything like that!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was I supposed to be looking at something other than the box of roman candles? :p

OP
OP
Kyle Seeley

Kyle Seeley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir! Just got everything going! I ended up cutting the pipes so that I could get to the bulk heads. I re cut the hole with a 1 3/4 in. hole saw, sanded the edges and made sure that there was no debris blocking the seal. I then did a bead of silicone along the inside and outside of the bulk head. Test filled everything with tap water and no leaks! Starting to fill with RO as we speak!

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right on. The silicone was probably overkill. But whatever it works so it's a win.

Side note. Did you wait a few days before filling after the silicone? Most silicone likes a good few days to become fully cured (and inert).

OP
OP
Kyle Seeley

Kyle Seeley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah[emoji23][emoji23] we have a few left over from the fourth!

Back