Saltwater mixing station

atticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a good pump to run my mixing station and that will pump water to display and take out water for water changes.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a 'utility' pump, I use the MaxiJet 1200 pumps. I have a few of them...

However, for my mixing station, I have a power head to mix, and a mag5 to pump into my sump. To remove the water from the sump, I plumbed in a T from my return (to the display) to a waste area...

OP
OP
atticus

atticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a 'utility' pump, I use the MaxiJet 1200 pumps. I have a few of them...

However, for my mixing station, I have a power head to mix, and a mag5 to pump into my sump. To remove the water from the sump, I plumbed in a T from my return (to the display) to a waste area...

Not sure a mag5 would get water to display and remove from display. I have maybe a 13 ft horizontal run and the a 4 ft vertical to display.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure a mag5 would get water to display and remove from display. I have maybe a 13 ft horizontal run and the a 4 ft vertical to display.

Yup, it sure would... Mine goes about 10 feet horizontal (but horizontal is irrelevant), and 5 feet up with decent volume... It could probably push 7 feet up, but that might just be a trickle at that point, lol... My mag5 is also plumbed in, I do not move it around...

Do you not have a sump? Ideally, these water exchanges do not take place in the display...

OP
OP
atticus

atticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, it sure would... Mine goes about 10 feet horizontal (but horizontal is irrelevant), and 5 feet up with decent volume... It could probably push 7 feet up, but that might just be a trickle at that point, lol... My mag5 is also plumbed in, I do not move it around...

Do you not have a sump? Ideally, these water exchanges do not take place in the display...

I do have a sump. What type of hose do you use?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a sump. What type of hose do you use?

Like I said, it is plumbed in place, so I use 1" PCV (also recommended for optimal pumping for the mag5) and 1" flex tube. That said, the only reason I chose the mag5 was because I had it on hand, as it used to be a spare for my 65 gallon tank.

But, if you went up to a mag9, a standard garden hose would work! (for the mag 7 and 5, you can get a $5 garden hose adapter, which would work just fine for your needs)...

OP
OP
atticus

atticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, it is plumbed in place, so I use 1" PCV (also recommended for optimal pumping for the mag5) and 1" flex tube. That said, the only reason I chose the mag5 was because I had it on hand, as it used to be a spare for my 65 gallon tank.

But, if you went up to a mag9, a standard garden hose would work! (for the mag 7 and 5, you can get a $5 garden hose adapter, which would work just fine for your needs)...

Was just looking online at the panworld pumps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back