Saltwater noob with some problems

Htubild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
My tank is 3-4 weeks old. I'm (I think) just about ready to put in my first fish but I have some issues.
First of all, I put in a live rock and had no idea that I was supposed to cure it. Should I take it out and cure it now? My water levels all look good, but the ph was high before I did a water change and now I have red slime algae.
Not only did I put in the live rock but I'm also cycling with Dr. Tims- where you start with "healthy" bacteria and then add ammonia. Total overkill with the bacteria I know now.
Should I stop adding ammonia and forget the doctor tim's cycle, or will ammonia help cut down on nutrients to get rid of red slime?
One more thing. I don't think my heater works. I have 100watts on a 30 gal tank and it is hovering around 69 degrees.

OP
OP
Htubild1

Htubild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, your rock will cure in the tank on its own. Secondly, get a heater controller and make sure your tank stays at 77-80 degree. Lastly, wait another month before adding fish. It’s not ready yet.
Really not ready? According to the instructions that came with the Dr tim's stuff, the tank is supposed to be ready for a couple of fish on Monday. How do I know when it's ready if the water has already been testing fine for a while?
Also, any advice about getting rid of the red slime algae?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patients .
but sounds like you’re on your way .
there are so many ways to cycle your new aquarium . And I’m sure things have changed in terms of efficient and effective ways how to since I started .

To cure the rocks isn’t necessary as you are going to end up cycling them anyways .

pick up a few test kits , a refractometer , and research .

you have started the patients waiting game .
welcome to r2r

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really not ready? According to the instructions that came with the Dr tim's stuff, the tank is supposed to be ready for a couple of fish on Monday. How do I know when it's ready if the water has already been testing fine for a while?
Email Dr. Tim and see what he has to say.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a live rock in there the tank is ready for your first fish. Stop dosing ammonia and take it slow

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about the rate of progress the tank has made especially with the heater issue causing the lower temperature. This slows down biological processes and could have actually killed off beneficial bacteria if they were shocked by the change. I say wait a month partly because of this and party because of the cyano bacteria you’re seeing. When the beneficial bacteria in your tank becomes established, typically when nitrates and phosphates raise enough for bacteria to take advantage of it (this can be too low to be detected on hobby grade kits), cyano will typically disappear. I always look at reefing as keeping bacteria first and foremost. You’re at the stage where you can give the beneficial bacteria in your tank the leg up. Adding livestock right now is going to work against that.

kitpoon0315

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with everyone here, the greatest skill you'll learn in saltwater is patience and planning. Impulse buying, impulse adding, or anything that was done outside of a plan that is thought out in advance is what usually gets you into trouble. Giving a tank a few more weeks to stabilize is always a good thing.

OP
OP
Htubild1

Htubild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things
Was the live rock wet from another tank?
Get a heater controller
Yes it was. She scraped it a little bit and here's an update- my nitrite level went up from 0 to about .5-1.0. Should I do a water change or just leave it alone with no fish and let it continue to cycle

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your parameters stable (mainly temp from the sounds of it) and then add the fish. Carefully. Make sure you qt the fish if you want to avoid pests or disease.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back