saltwater tank

ZOZOSHARKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi- I have a fulval 15 tank I have had for years after my fish passed away 1 moth ago I want to change the tank to saltwater. What do
i need to buy or change to make it saltwater? Also I want to get 1 clownfish 1 firefish and 1 cardinal fish is that ok?

OP
OP
ZOZOSHARKS

ZOZOSHARKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would I be able to have a small bubble tip anome? Also can I have gravel?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
Without knowing the specs too well, you’d likely need an upgraded pump and a better light.
As for stocking, clowns are not friendly at all, so I’d generally stray away from them in small tanks unless they are the only non sand or rock dweller in the tank. The other 2 (firefish and cardinal) are quite passive and would do well.
You can do a bta, but it would limit your coral options as they like to move around and sting. There is a risk to corals in a smaller tank (I’ve seen builds where it works out).
Imo sand is better - technically you can do gravel but I don’t see it done often with saltwater. Most of the fish and inverts are evolved to live in or with sand.

OP
OP
ZOZOSHARKS

ZOZOSHARKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So would a clown attack the cardinal? I would rather have a cardinal than a fire fish if
i could only keep one of the two.

OP
OP
ZOZOSHARKS

ZOZOSHARKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do coral I like the duncan coral,GSP coral,and the leather corals.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So would a clown attack the cardinal? I would rather have a cardinal than a fire fish if
i could only keep one of the two.
Clowns get mean as they age - mine killed her mate, a royal gramma, and a firefish in a 13.5 gallon tank. Even in the new 40 breeder she rules everyone else (angel, clown, goby, blenny). It doesn’t always happen - it’s luck of the draw - many on here have clowns in small tanks that get along with everyone.
The orange/white morphs tend to be more calm than the black ones though.
I’d say it’s equally likely that a clown would go for a firefish or a cardinal. Safer tankmates are ones that stay out of the way like a tailspot blenny or shrimpgoby. The clown would be dominant in the open water, but there is still sandbed and rock real estate for other fish. Adding the clown last helps a lot too so it doesn’t claim the whole tank as it’s own.

Gsp and leathers could definitely take a hit - Duncan is tough but could get smothered by a nem.

OP
OP
ZOZOSHARKS

ZOZOSHARKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok So should I just have a clownfish? Also could I have any other types of anome instead of the BTA?

OP
OP
ZOZOSHARKS

ZOZOSHARKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a clown fish be ok with the duncan coral,GSP coral,and the leather corals if I did not have an anome?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will live in whatever they want - Duncan and many leathers are pretty common host corals for clowns. You don’t necessarily need a nem, and there are many corals that look just like nems. Rock flower anemones are not host nems, but will tend to stay put and stay small.
If it were me, I’d pass on the clown and do the other fish on your list instead.
If you want the clown more, you can do one (or a pair) along with a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp and some kind of rock dwelling fish like a tailspot blenny. Plenty of other options, that’s just the first that comes to mind for me.

OP
OP
ZOZOSHARKS

ZOZOSHARKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok So I think I am going to get : 1 clownfish, 1 torch coral,duncan coral and 1 leather coral.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to read as much as possible, on this forum, and on the internet, books, magazines, etc.... Your freshwater experience won't help very much, you will find that its very different on the salty side, much more difficult overall and more expensive too, but more gratifying overall IMO

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back