Saltwater top offs for no water change systems

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hadn't really thought about this much, but is anyone with no water change systems topping off with some saltwater at least with some frequency every 1 weeks, 2 weeks, monthly?

I don't do WC any more. Skimmer skims pretty dry to begin with. Some salt creep is sure to happen in some areas and volume loss by testing is variable by the user and amount of tests performed.

Just thinking over the course of 1 mo you would go through 750mL tank water if your total tests used 25mL tank water per day, more with what is lost by salt creep or lost in the skimmer.

Wondering if anybody keeps a half gallon of saltwater mixed up on hand for minor saltwater top offs for this reason, or do you not think about it unless the SG dips to 1.025?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Balling system - Triton Core 7 - no WC for nearly 4 years. The Balling rise the salt concentration for me. I need to take out saltwater instead. The problem you describe is - IMO - a real problem only if you run a calcium reactor or kalkwasser. all Balling systems will rise the salt concentration - IMO

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, 4 years! Can't say that I've seen any benefit to doing water changes after stopping 6 months back, give or take.

I dose AFR, probably different than the Balling method?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wcs are used for restoring balance these days not removing nutrients anymore.
Your salt level should stay mostly the same. Still test every 3 months id say and top off with low level sw when needed to raise it. E.g. just replace your rodi top off with low level sw.
This is my opinion
D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back