Salty's IM 25G Chicago Sunburst Anemone Lagoon

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Excited to get my Innovative Lagoon 25 Gallon up and running. I currently have a 120 mixed reef that has been up and running for about 3 years and going great! I have had a hard time in the past with All in one aquariums and im up for the challenge again.

My Goal is to make this a Chicago Sunburst only tank where pretty much there is a solid carpet of Chicago's. I currently have 5 Chicago's in my main display that are growing very fast and started to kill corals and its time to start thinning the herd. The water that I pull out of my display tank for weekly water changes will be used new water for the 25 lagoon weekly 5 gallon replacement. This way I know there is plenty of nutrients in the water column to prevent dreaded DINOS which I experienced in the past with a new aquarium and it sucks!!! The lagoon will be bare bottom with some flat cured rock.

Equipment:
-Innovative Marine 25 gallon Lagoon
-AI Nero 3 powerhead
-AutoAqua auto top off
-Cobalt 75W heater
-Kessil A360WE

Filtration:
-Tray on each side with filter Floss
-Carbon
-Bio Balls
-Weekly 5 Gallon water changes using 120gallon display water

Livestock:
-Skunk Clownfish
-Chicago Sunburst Anemones

Dry setup before rock and water. Basement bar makes a great stand ;)
image0 (18).jpeg

Pick Of the Nems Ill be using
image1 (23).jpeg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. How are the nem guards for the nero?

OP
OP
DenverSaltyFarm

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I would say not very safe for nems, It might leave a chance that if a nem goes in only the tentacles will get chopped. I would say the only 100 safe guard is a sponge guard. I have found most movement with nems when adding them to a new tank. if you put them in a breeder box for a few weeks while they adjust to the water then its a higher success rate of getting the anemone to stay where you put them. I will still try the guard and keep a close eye on things.
image0 (19).jpeg

OP
OP
DenverSaltyFarm

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: So far everything is doing great! I introduced one of my Chicago anemones and 2 seabae clownfish and hosted after about 15 min which is awesome! with only 3 weeks being under the kessil light set on the blue setting the Chicago has dramatically changed colors from the first photo in my display to more yellow. Weekly water changes and changing filter floss has kept things looking good.
Im seeing just a little bit of algae so finally will get just a few snails. Ill let the tank run for a couple of months before adding another Chicago and see where things end up.
image0 (20).jpeg

OP
OP
DenverSaltyFarm

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Everything has been going great in the Lagoon! I added 2 more Chicago sunbursts to the tank and will wait a bit of time before adding 2 more. I stopped using my changeout water from my 120g to water change the lagoon since the bio load has been stable with the fish and daily feedings no need to add more. This was my first time doing this approach to a new aquarium and so far has worked out great. My new tanks always battle Dinos when nutrients bottom out and i feel like I have finally broken the trend :cool:

image0 (21).jpeg

image1 (25).jpeg

image2 (10).jpeg

OP
OP
DenverSaltyFarm

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! made a few changes to the tank. I took out the two end rocks to give better contrast. the nutrient levels were starting to climb so i added some chemi-pure which feel works great on nano tanks. I also added another Chicago anemone making 4 to the tank. the clownfish have some nice real-estate to bounce on :cool: Im also considering adding sand in the future but for now just letting things stay balanced.

image1 (26).jpeg

image0 (22).jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following! I'm planning something similar for my desktop tank!

Back