OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those that you mentioned are as bad as Pandoras in a healthy tank lol.

The only good thing is that you can frag and trade them for store credit most of the time. I have also noticed that they can grow by my acros and do not bother them. As to where most zoas irritate the acros and cause stn. For that reason, I left an opps frag that fell onto my rocks and in-between them where it was. I now have gobstoppers growing under the massive Steve-a-pora and it covers the rock nicely lol.
Are pandoras the same as pixie dust palys?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Pixie dusts have a green center, and speckles on the disk.

Pandoras are mostly pink with some speckles and some orange striations or morphs of them have the orangish center surrounded by pink.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Pixie dusts have a green center, and speckles on the disk.

Pandoras are mostly pink with some speckles and some orange striations or morphs of them have the orangish center surrounded by pink.
Under full blue, the orange dominates on Pandora's and will push the pink out to the tip of the lashes which is pretty cool

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my previous tanks had what I thought were pixie dust (or fairy dust) palys that took over. Now I don't know what they were other than a PITA. You can see the rock on the far right is COVERED in them. Never again!

01062023.jpg

This tank had a lot of PITA corals - GSP, cespitularia, pulsing xenia.

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabby48 I found my only pic of my male flame wrasse. I picked him up as a female from LiveAquaria back when they would throw them on super special for $69 o_O Those were the days.

010620232.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled on this but seeing as I have both thought I’d share they are very different in appearance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled on this but seeing as I have both thought I’d share they are very different in appearance.
I had the ones on the right that took over one of my previous tanks. Is that pandoras?

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pandoras in the right. They are massive and are growing very fast. I’ll certainly have that same problem.

The pixies are also growing fast but at least they are pretty and sell at a good price.
Thanks! I'm not much for names, but I want to make sure I don't buy those EVER again no matter how doctored the seller makes the pic lol

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm not much for names, but I want to make sure I don't buy those EVER again no matter how doctored the seller makes the pic lol
Yeah they are beautiful under blue lights with the right lens. But under white lights they’re just an ugly brown.

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are beautiful under blue lights with the right lens. But under white lights they’re just an ugly brown.
Yes! They looked sparkly when I bought them, but they got big, brown, and ugly. I would cut them off the rock until I heard about paly toxins so I quit and just let them do their thing. Those suckers will try to squirt you right in the eye when you take them out and mess with them so wear safety googles if you ever do that.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! They looked sparkly when I bought them, but they got big, brown, and ugly. I would cut them off the rock until I heard about paly toxins so I quit and just let them do their thing. Those suckers will try to squirt you right in the eye when you take them out and mess with them so wear safety googles if you ever do that.
Sparkly
PXL_20230106_180534245.MP.jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t that a flame in the first picture too? They are little jerks. I found a flame for sale $1200. It was big and had that old wrasse face. No thanks he doesn’t have long to go. I think they knew he was on the last couple years and they wanted to get cash before the end.

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t that a flame in the first picture too? They are little jerks. I found a flame for sale $1200. It was big and had that old wrasse face. No thanks he doesn’t have long to go. I think they knew he was on the last couple years and they wanted to get cash before the end.
Geez. Someone will probably pay it. I tried 2 female flames in my current tank a few years ago, but when they would try to transition my flasher would kill them :(

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this guy. Hard to tell, but these are metallic and have silver looking specks that look like sparkles. These are Florida zoas I collected myself.

IMG_7107.jpg
Now thats a first I’ve never seen a Zoa/Paly grow on a crab.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now thats a first I’ve never seen a Zoa/Paly grow on a crab.
Decorator crab and he peeled them from this colony (crap pic) and is still carrying them around on him. I think he may have a few babies growing from the ones he stole lol.

IMG_8253.JPG

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez. Someone will probably pay it. I tried 2 female flames in my current tank a few years ago, but when they would try to transition my flasher would kill them :(
Really my two were huge jerks. They beat up all my wrasse. I spent a year trying to break the last one. When he mellowed I lost them all do to well you know how it goes wrong

Back