Wrasse Resort

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any recent pics, so how about a throw back pic instead. #WrasseWednesday

Flame025.jpg
Then how about you go take some!
Chop chop, hop to!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I'm at work... :sleeping-face:
Lame. My work got infested with rats over the pandemic. They messed up the extermination so bad that I've never worked in my own office in the 3 years since I got the job. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lame. My work got infested with rats over the pandemic. They messed up the extermination so bad that I've never worked in my own office in the 3 years since I got the job. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Geez! So your office is a biohazard? :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez! So your office is a biohazard? :squinting-face-with-tongue:
Oh yes. It is very ironic :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes. It is very ironic :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Ha! So the Atlanta office is being run by rats. That's pretty hilarious!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! I did not want a fish that was almost entirely yellow. Instead, I stuck with my common (though unintentional) preference for part-yellow (especially yellow-tailed) fish.

I am strongly considering clown wrasses (Halichoeres maculipinna) now for my main build at home, though, after discovering them on Foxy Saltwater Tropicals website a year ago.
Maculipinna is a gorgeous wrasse, I have a thing for the wrasses that are either from the Caribbean or look like they should be from there (Like Chloropterus). Definitely need photos if you pull the trigger.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maculipinna is a gorgeous wrasse, I have a thing for the wrasses that are either from the Caribbean or look like they should be from there (Like Chloropterus). Definitely need photos if you pull the trigger.
I'm hoping to pull the trigger once the weather is warmer, my tank(s) are setup and reorganized at home (including my 40B double-stack systems), and Foxy Saltwater Tropicals has enough of the items on my list in stock at the same time to minimize number of shipments.

I'd like to get about 3-4 of the H. maculipinna size small, maybe medium. Plans are still being determined whether I want to add a few of them to the main display and potentially need to rehome some as they mature (probably very difficult to catch?) or just add only one to each intended tank to avoid potential aggression issues when mature.
@SaltyT Do you have a recommendation about this? I'll have to check if I asked before...

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to pull the trigger once the weather is warmer, my tank(s) are setup and reorganized at home (including my 40B double-stack systems), and Foxy Saltwater Tropicals has enough of the items on my list in stock at the same time to minimize number of shipments.

I'd like to get about 3-4 of the H. maculipinna size small, maybe medium. Plans are still being determined whether I want to add a few of them to the main display and potentially need to rehome some as they mature (probably very difficult to catch?) or just add only one to each intended tank to avoid potential aggression issues when mature.
@SaltyT Do you have a recommendation about this? I'll have to check if I asked before...
I'd recommend just adding one per tank so you avoid any aggression between them in the future. Wrasses, especially sand burying species, can be such pains to remove from tanks.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty, when will you be getting a leucoxanthus? ;)
P.S. This picture makes it obvious mine is a H. leucoxanthus due to the flash, but his belly looks pretty yellow to the eye due to my white tank lighting shining through his yellow back.

P.P.S. I support SaltyT's acquisition of a H. leucoxanthus but she does already have wrasses as pretty or prettier!

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty, when will you be getting a leucoxanthus? ;)
Not likely anytime soon. I like them, but they're not on my list. Right now, the only halichoeres I would pick up if I saw one would be rubricephalus or leucurus.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely anytime soon. I like them, but they're not on my list. Right now, the only halichoeres I would pick up if I saw one would be rubricephalus or leucurus.
H. leucurus, H. melanurus, and H. vrolikii were all tied for the top wrasse on my list until I decided to buy H. leucoxanthus for some tanks and discovered H. maculipinna that became my current choice on plan for main display at home.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the chlorocephalus? It looks like the inverted rubricephalus.
H. leucurus, H. melanurus, and H. vrolikii were all tied for the top wrasse on my list until I decided to buy H. leucoxanthus for some tanks and discovered H. maculipinna that became my current choice on plan for main display at home.
I would pick up a leucoxanthus quite fast however my iridis wouldn’t be so happy about that. I miss my first specimen, she looked identical to yours but with a pinkish tint to her stomach.

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. vrolikii is the junior synonym for H. chrysotaenia ;) I've never kept chrysotaenia, but it's supposed to have a milder temperament than melanurus. I've never kept maculipinna either. I don't see that one too often, it'll be cool to see one in your tank someday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back