SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Sadly, I lost my feminus. She seemed to be doing so well, but she became lethargic one day then the next day she was dead. That was a tough loss for me :(

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I rehomed my Biocellatus and Melanurus. I'm making room for some future additions so these two guys went to a friend's tank. Ciao fellas! Thanks for helping to keep my corals pest free!
Biocellatus.JPG

melanurus.jpg

OP
OP
SaltyT

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No updates on the current tank, but I found a few old videos from some previous tanks. Here's a video from my first reef tank, excuse the quality it was taken 9 years ago on a phone ;Shamefullyembarrased

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

I've been on here for awhile and decided it's finally time to create a tank thread. I won't bore you with a back story on how I got into the hobby or when I setup my first tank yada, yada so I'll just skip right to my current tank. I have a RSR 425XL that's been running for almost 2 years. l started the tank with 60Ibs of cherry primo live rock from Live Rock n Reef and 20lbs or so of CaribSea life rock arches. I planned on having wrasses that bury so my sand is a nice mix of Fiji pink and Special grade.

Here are a few pics of its humble beginnings....

Pic3.jpg

Several different macro algae popped up all over the live rock within a few weeks. One of my favorite things about setting up a reef tank is watching your live rock come to life!

Pic5.jpg

Every time I get gulf live rock I get some cirolanid isopod hitchhickers. This time was no exception, but I was able to remove most of them daily in my filter socks. However, about 4 months in I had a large isopod attach itself to my H. chrysus (aka yellow wrasse) but I was able to manually remove the isopod from her. I never saw another one after that, thankfully! This guy was also a hitchhiker that came in as a tiny fella but quickly grew and had a taste for ricordea. His name is Sump Crab.
crab.jpg

The ugly phase.... Around this time I got tired of the macro algae invasion so I picked up a Kole tang.

Pic6.jpg

Despite the Kole tang's best efforts, all he managed to do was rip the algae into pieces which clogged up my MP40s and spread the algae throughout the tank. I ended up removing the Kole tang. The pink macro in this pic was really pretty and it loved being in the flow of my MP40.
Pic11.jpg

After the Kole tang was gone I picked up a Copperband. Even though she had a voracious appetite she kept losing weight to what I suspect was internal parasites. I pulled her into QT a few times and tried oral metronidazole in her food (I must've had the dose right bc she wouldn't eat it) and 4 rounds of prazi, but sadly she eventually withered away :(

Pic12.jpg

And of course here are a few early pics of some of my wrasses!

P. attenuatus (aka diamond tail flasher), C. jordani (aka flame wrasse), C. exquisitus (aka exquisite wrasse), H. biocellatus (aka red-lined wrasse) and M. negrosensis (aka black leopard)

Pic14.jpg

Pic15.jpg

My tank no longer has all of this macro algae. I ended up adding 3 mexican turbo snails - Larry, Curly and Moe. They ate all of it.

Thanks for looking! More to c

Hi All!

I've been on here for awhile and decided it's finally time to create a tank thread. I won't bore you with a back story on how I got into the hobby or when I setup my first tank yada, yada so I'll just skip right to my current tank. I have a RSR 425XL that's been running for almost 2 years. l started the tank with 60Ibs of cherry primo live rock from Live Rock n Reef and 20lbs or so of CaribSea life rock arches. I planned on having wrasses that bury so my sand is a nice mix of Fiji pink and Special grade.

Here are a few pics of its humble beginnings....

Pic3.jpg

Several different macro algae popped up all over the live rock within a few weeks. One of my favorite things about setting up a reef tank is watching your live rock come to life!

Pic5.jpg

Every time I get gulf live rock I get some cirolanid isopod hitchhickers. This time was no exception, but I was able to remove most of them daily in my filter socks. However, about 4 months in I had a large isopod attach itself to my H. chrysus (aka yellow wrasse) but I was able to manually remove the isopod from her. I never saw another one after that, thankfully! This guy was also a hitchhiker that came in as a tiny fella but quickly grew and had a taste for ricordea. His name is Sump Crab.
crab.jpg

The ugly phase.... Around this time I got tired of the macro algae invasion so I picked up a Kole tang.

Pic6.jpg

Despite the Kole tang's best efforts, all he managed to do was rip the algae into pieces which clogged up my MP40s and spread the algae throughout the tank. I ended up removing the Kole tang. The pink macro in this pic was really pretty and it loved being in the flow of my MP40.
Pic11.jpg

After the Kole tang was gone I picked up a Copperband. Even though she had a voracious appetite she kept losing weight to what I suspect was internal parasites. I pulled her into QT a few times and tried oral metronidazole in her food (I must've had the dose right bc she wouldn't eat it) and 4 rounds of prazi, but sadly she eventually withered away :(

Pic12.jpg

And of course here are a few early pics of some of my wrasses!

P. attenuatus (aka diamond tail flasher), C. jordani (aka flame wrasse), C. exquisitus (aka exquisite wrasse), H. biocellatus (aka red-lined wrasse) and M. negrosensis (aka black leopard)

Pic14.jpg

Pic15.jpg

My tank no longer has all of this macro algae. I ended up adding 3 mexican turbo snails - Larry, Curly and Moe. They ate all of it.

Thanks for looking! More to come....
Yay for warrases!

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank foot print on my 425 is 47x22.6x22. I'm overstocked. I need another tank bc Reef Pro keeps getting in killer wrasses! LOL I'd save yourself the $$ and just pick up one of their male rhomboids. If you get the pair you'll eventually end up with 2 male rhomboids that will fight in a 80... unless you have more than one tank?
Interested now...

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful tank you've got there!!! You might need to show off your gorgeous torch collection!

Also Sump crab is awesome!!! Love that little buddy!
I know right!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%

Back