Same conversation, new day. Let’s talk about salt

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the time has come. I recently ran out of my stash of good Tropic Marin salt. I have had it since before they had the batching issues and told myself that I would switch when it ran out. Just to be clear, I’m switching due to the price. I’m sure they have straighten out their supply issue by now.

A couple questions that I have:
1. Any recommendations? Always open to hear option. Leaning toward Fritz blue.

2. Any storage residue? I run an auto water change with salt water storage. This is the reason I’m looking at

3. what are some of the best practices to switch the system over? My plan is to start with 1 gallon a day for eternity.

Any and all advice/input is welcome. You can’t hurt mah feelings

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re keen to switch to a similar pharmaceutical grade product I think Fauna Marin would be the clear choice.

Personally I use Red Sea blue bucket as the parameters are close to NSW, but that comes at the cost of brown buildup in my mixing tank.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, the time has come. I recently ran out of my stash of good Tropic Marin salt. I have had it since before they had the batching issues and told myself that I would switch when it ran out. Just to be clear, I’m switching due to the price. I’m sure they have straighten out their supply issue by now.

A couple questions that I have:
1. Any recommendations? Always open to hear option. Leaning toward Fritz blue.

2. Any storage residue? I run an auto water change with salt water storage. This is the reason I’m looking at

3. what are some of the best practices to switch the system over? My plan is to start with 1 gallon a day for eternity.

Any and all advice/input is welcome. You can’t hurt mah feelings
I am in the process of switching away from TM too. I posted the other day in another thread about my recent experiences with them, post the debacle with their Turkish plant. The recent batches are still wildly inconsistent for my tastes. I moved to Fritz (blue box) as well. It mixes clean for me with no residue in my tank, and I am happy (so far).

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re keen to switch to a similar pharmaceutical grade product I think Fauna Marin would be the clear choice.

Personally I use Red Sea blue bucket as the parameters are close to NSW, but that comes at the cost of brown buildup in my mixing tank.
Oh nice! I’ll check out Fauna, thaey slipped my mind. And you nailed it with Red Sea. Love the salt. Price is right. The brown build up is the issue

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of switching away from TM too. I posted the other day in another thread about my recent experiences with them, post the debacle with their Turkish plant. The recent batches are still wildly inconsistent for my tastes. I moved to Fritz (blue box) as well. It mixes clean for me with no residue in my tank, and I am happy (so far).
Thanks for the reissurance! Weird how genius minds think alike

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a clean mix then consider HW Marinmix. I used it for years. Got tired of ordering it. Use Red Sea blue as my lfs Carrie’s it. I don’t care about the residue.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean here since 1987. If it's good enough for RHF, it's good enough for me :)
Interesting, 2 mentioned of IO. I can find it locally. and it is in the right price range. I do know that it leave a little funk in the barrel. hmmmm. as someone else mentioned. does the residue even affect anything?

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular old instant ocean for me. Been using it my entire reefing career. Its consistant, disolves easily and doesnt leave a residue. Plus i like to do a lot of water changes. Ive had sucess eith io for many years. Why fix what isnt broken?
Thats 3 for IO. now its really shaking up my plans ha

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, 2 mentioned of IO. I can find it locally. and it is in the right price range. I do know that it leave a little funk in the barrel. hmmmm. as someone else mentioned. does the residue even affect anything?
There is a little brown film in my 25 year old mixing bucket, nothing major. It hasn't seemed to bother anything yet, but it might be too soon to tell :)

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats 3 for IO. now its really shaking up my plans ha
I forgot to mention cost. It doesnt make sense to me to spend way more on a salt with say elevated calcium, when i can add a few cents worth of calcium chloride and achieve the samr result.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the complaints about buildup in the mixing barrel, it's inert, like having sand in the tank, doesn't hurt anything.

I use Red Sea but I would use Fauna Marin if it was available locally as I use their Balling Light system and it is great. Those two would be my recommendations.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention cost. It doesnt make sense to me to spend way more on a salt with say elevated calcium, when i can add a few cents worth of calcium chloride and achieve the samr result.
Cost is a big thing for me. Mostly due to the Auto water change daily. I am literally pouring money down the drain.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO RC, and have tried the others...blue bucket. Went right back to IO. I love this stuff, and I can get 200 gallons worth of salt, for $60...and that lasts me 6 months on my 300. But I only change water when I have nothing else to do...as I run RMS
so IDK if my opinion would count or not lol

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the complaints about buildup in the mixing barrel, it's inert, like having sand in the tank, doesn't hurt anything.

I use Red Sea but I would use Fauna Marin if it was available locally as I use their Balling Light system and it is great. Those two would be my recommendations.
fauna is out of the price range yearly. Thats like 10 corals or a couple fish lol. I do love Red Sea too. Used it for years. Thanks for the recommendations!

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO RC, and have tried the others...blue bucket. Went right back to IO. I love this stuff, and I can get 200 gallons worth of salt, for $60...and that lasts me 6 months on my 300. But I only change water when I have nothing else to do...as I run RMS
so IDK if my opinion would count or not lol
We'll count it! at that price I would be at about the same Per year. maybe a little under

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back