Same Equipment for DT and QT

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you should have different equipment for your DT and QT, but I was wondering why.
Here is a scenario.
Let say I use a syphon hose on my QT tank, after I am done I put it in a holding area. Let say that it stays put for 1 week. It is completely dry for at least 5 full days. If that is the case what disease or parasites would be able to last for 5 days dry?

I would assume that parasites would die, I think germs/bacteria might be able to hang around for 5 days.

I like to know the why behind things instead of just going with the flow.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because if you use any medication in your QT you wouldn’t want to transfer them to your DT, especially copper

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get another syphon, not worth risking bringing that stuff from the QT do the DT and always wished you would’ve done things differently.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you should have different equipment for your DT and QT, but I was wondering why.
Here is a scenario.
Let say I use a syphon hose on my QT tank, after I am done I put it in a holding area. Let say that it stays put for 1 week. It is completely dry for at least 5 full days. If that is the case what disease or parasites would be able to last for 5 days dry?

I would assume that parasites would die, I think germs/bacteria might be able to hang around for 5 days.

I like to know the why behind things instead of just going with the flow.
One problem is that seawater is hydroscopic and doesn’t like to dry out very fast. If you rinse everything in tap water and then air dry for five days, it would be safer. I opt for dedicated equipment between tanks though.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back