SAMPLE STORAGE AND ITS IMPACT ON PO4 MEASUREMENT AND ICP MEASUREMENT RESULTS (PART 2)

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My First Trip To Wonderland!...Down the Rabbit Hole!

giphy.gif

My first trip to Wonderland started in late 2019 when I started experimenting to find the answer to a question that had been troubling me for over 2 years. Since the very beginning of this project it has been my goal to understand why my measurement results, in particular PO4, differed from ICP results. I could not explain this difference with what I knew about colorimetric and ICP measurements. I have stated in previous posts that I had been using ICP as the “Target” for my own testing. The goal was to improve my measurement methods using my test kits and measurement protocols. For almost 2 years I have been following this path, but the issue with my measurement and ICP results persisted.

In recent post by @4sylvester he cited a very nice article that nicely covers the subject “Phosphorus Determination in Waters and Extracts of Soils and By-Products: Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectrometry versus Colorimetric Procedures” If you are interested here is a link post (Post # 100 here
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/icp-test-results-vs-hobby-grade.733197/page-5

This quote from that article describes my understanding of the relationship between ICP measurements and colorimetric measurement such as the Hanna Checkers.

"The method of P determination used in water samples and extracts of soils and by-products can influence the reported concentrations. For most sample types, ICP is slightly greater than colorimetric analyses, but the two methods are well correlated for high P samples. However, extreme caution needs to be used for samples with low P concentrations (e.g., 60 mg/kg extractable P), as the difference may be as great as 5 fold. "

This is exactly what I expected when I sent in my first ICP test and compared it to my Hanna results, but to my surprise the ICP reported a lower value for P and PO4....not by a small amount but by close to 50% (My measurement 20 ppb P ....ICP 10 ppb P) I concluded that my measurement was incorrect so I went back to my retained sample of the test I sent for ICP analysis and retested....Sure enough I got a lower reading 12 ppb----close enough! So that should have been the end of the story, but it was not. I continued to send in ICP tests every 90 days (Started in 2017) and I saw exactly the same results...Not every time but by far the majority.... ICP lower P than Hanna Hi-736 ...Retest the retain...results are close to ICP results.

Quoting from Alice In Wonderland
1594216669558.png

Call me a slow learner ....It took me almost 2 years to stop and ask the question what is going on? I am either the world’s worst (but consistent) Tester or there is something I am missing. I had seen on this forum several discussions about the same observation...ICP tests lower then Hanna Tester and didn't really follow them until
@taricha made a statement that caught my attention "maybe the sample is not stable" ...That set me down this "Rabbit Hole"....And literally 100's of PO4 tests later here we are...My first posting ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sample-storage-and-its-impact-on-phosphate-measurement.696800/) was the beginning of my trip to "Wonderland" but only the beginning. I basically set out to understand what impact storing a sample has on my test results... My basic conclusion for myself was not to store samples for any length of time in any type of container....Which is as it turns out was well known before I went down the "Rabbit Hole"....My bad, should have done more looking...none the less I got really good at the test, ....But it still did not answer my question "Why do my ICP tests come out consistently lower than my Hanna results?" According to my understanding this should not be happening and if I read the above reference paper correctly they agree...Should not be lower only higher or at best equal to.

Does ICP vendor testing overcome these sampling issues? Can a vendor hold a sample for several days and still get the same test results? I can for sure say my testing methods cannot. I contend that this sampling problem does impact ICP test results for some elements. Somehow, way beyond my understanding, it has to do with Bio-activity and Biofilm that make some amount of P unavailable to the current ICP test protocols...This is the focus of my second trip to "Wonderland"….Which you are now reading…Welcome to my trip to Wonderland
giphy 3.gif
1594218871075.png

Once again I would like to thank @taricha and @Dan_P for their help on this project. Their questions, challenges and expertise along with their supportive experimental results were very helpful in keeping the project on track and out of too many “rabbit holes”

OUTLINE:

• CONFIRMATION EXPERIMENTS
  • TEMPERATURE EFFECT
  • CHLORINATION EFFECT
    • MY RESULTS
    • ICP TEST RESULTS
  • SUMMARY
  • SOME OTHER INTERESTING OUTCOMES
  • DISCUSSION

CONFIRMATION EXPERIMENT

In order to be confident that what I had done in previous work was reproducible I did a replica of the initial experiment on PO4. A large sample was taken from my tank and divided into fifteen 15mL Polypropylene (PP) sample tubes. Initial measurements were taken on Day 0 (3 tubes). Then every 3 days measurements were taken on the next 3 tubes. This was repeated up to day 12. The results can be seen in Chart 1.

1594217014925.png

CHART 1

As you can see the depletion on the measured PO4 was on average .049 ppm or about a 35% reduction in the measurable PO4 . This level of depletion is greater than the Hanna 95% confidence interval (represented by the black vertical bars). This would indicate that the initial experiments could be replicated and the depletion effect is a real signal and not noise.

So just like the Cheshire Cat in Wonderland….Is he there or not!

giphy 4.gif

TEMPERATURE EFFECT

One of the questions that arose in the last set of experiments was whether this is a biological effect related to the bio-active materials contained in the tank water. It was suggested by @taricha that if it was Bio-Active that cooling the sample down during storage should show a slowing down of the depletion. An experiment was set up in which a large sample from my tank was separated into 2 sample sets. Each set consisted of eighteen 15mL PP Sample Tubes. One sample set was placed in a refrigerator at 42⁰ F (5.5⁰ C). The second set of samples was stored at 78⁰F (25.5⁰ C). Initial measurements were taken on day 0 using a HI-736 as well as an HI-774. The samples were stored for 6 days. Measurements were taken on day 3 and 6. The results can be seen in Chart 2

1594217505392.png

CHART 2

As the charts and the data clearly shows, cooling the sample down during storage virtually stops the depletion of measured PO4. This provides a fairly strong hint that the depletion process could be biological in nature.

CHLORINATION EFFECT

My Results

Along with the temperature effect an experiment was set up to look at the effect of sanitizing the sample with hypochlorite. First two separate experiments were conducted to determine if hypochlorite would interfere with the Hanna PO4-P (HI-736) test measurement. @taricha concluded up to 35 ppm showed no interference. I went up to 20 ppm and found the same result…He was braver than I was! The bleach solution used in the experiment 5% lab grade Sodium Hypochlorite that at the 15 ppm level tested “0” P on the Hanna HI-736.

Having concluded that the chlorine would not interfere with the measurement an experiment was set up to evaluate the effect of chlorination the sample before storage. I selected a chlorine level of 15 ppm as my starting point. A large sample was taken from my tank and divided into 2 samples. The first sample was the control…no hypochlorite added. The second sample was spiked with 15 ppm hypochlorite. The two sample sets were then placed in 15 mL PP sample tubes. 15 unchlorinated and 15 chlorinated. Initial measurements were taken on day 0 then measurements taken every 3 days for a total of 12 days storage. The results can be seen in Chart 3

1594217640882.png

CHART 3

As you can see from the charts and data the chlorine treated sample remain stable over the storage period maintaining measured values roughly equivalent to the initial reading on Day 0, whereas the untreated sample showed a significant reduction over the same storage period. Once again the evidence points to biological activity (Biofilm) contributing to the PO4 depletion

ICP Results

Going deeper into the rabbit hole I set out to test whether the ICP measurement of P also showed a difference between chlorinated and unchlorinated samples. Many believe that no matter what happens to the sample during shipment, the ICP method will detect the true concentration of elements. Is this true even if an element such as phosphorous in the form of PO4 is assimilated by a bio film on the sample container surface? Would the ICP result for P be higher when bio film formation is inhibited? And would the magnitude of difference in ICP results between chlorinated and unchlorinated samples be comparable to the PO4 depletion measured with the Hanna Checker?

An experiment essentially the same as my previous chlorination experiment described above was conducted. In this experiment 3 samples were sent to an ICP vendor for measurement.

The description of the samples and the results of the can be seen in CHART 4

1594217840485.png

CHART 4

CHART 4 SAMPLE IDENTIFICATION

Tube 1 was an unchlorinated sample that was shipped to the vendor the same day the sample was taken. The sample was 3 days in transit before testing (3 Days of Storage) (INITIAL ICP MEASUREMENT)

Tube 2 was an unchlorinated sample that was held for several days before being shipped to the vendor. (EXTENDED STORAGE NO CHLORINE)

Tube 3 was a chlorinated sample (15 ppm) that was also held the same number of days as tube 2 before shipment to the vendor. (EXTENDED STORAGE CHLORINATED)

I retained samples of each of these to be measured on the HI-736. These are the values on Chart 4 labeled MY MEASUREMENTS

All of the ICP samples as well as the retains came from the same tank sample just as in the previous experiment.

The answers to our questions from the result of this experiment and observations:

Is it true that even if an element such as phosphorous in the form of PO4 is assimilated by a bio film on the sample container surface, ICP would still detect it?

No. Phosphorous concentration as determined by ICP is lower in the two samples not treated with sodium hypochlorite than the one that is. Moreover, this difference in ICP measurement is comparable to that measured by the Hanna Checker. These results suggest that for my samples, phosphorous is mostly in the form of PO4.

Would the ICP result for P be higher when bio film formation is inhibited?

Yes, at least within the limits of the small sample size of this experiment. P can be “lost“ to the ICP method during transit.

And would the magnitude of difference in ICP results between chlorinated and unchlorinated samples be comparable to the PO4 depletion measured with the Hanna Checker?

Yes, but again within the limits of the small sample size of this experiment. This might be the case only when most of the phosphorous in the sample is in the form of PO4. Further testing would be needed to determine whether organophosphorous compounds are also subject to assimilation by biofilms.

A statistical sidebar:
When comparing two experimental treatments, it requires knowing how much variability there is in the results. Without this knowledge, we don’t know whether an observed difference is a result of the treatment or chance. In the comparisons above, we know about the variation in the Hanna measurement of PO4 and we are forced to assume a variation in the ICP measurements. In this case, we will assume the ICP variation is small based on the similarity ICP results of Tubes 1 and 2.

SUMMARY

In summary, this small experiment provides us with evidence that the ICP measurement of PO4 is not what we expected. The ICP method does not detect all the P in the sample. When PO4 is lost to what the data suggests is biological activity, for example, a bio film on the container surface, the ICP method fails to detect it. What we don’t know is whether other forms of P are also lost to the bio film.

This experimental data also suggests there can be good agreement between the Hanna Checker and ICP measurements when the samples contain the same amount of PO4 (Tube 1, 2 and 3 results), which occurred in this experiment when the measurements were made after the depletion of PO4 (Tubes 1 or2 ) and when no depletion occurred (Tube 3). Usually, we expect the ICP total P measurement to be higher than observed P-PO4 measurement of the Hanna because we assume that other forms of P exist in our systems. In this case, the P in my water appears to be dominated by PO4. Is this true in other systems as well? We will never know unless ICP measurements are improved.

SOME OTHER INTERESTING OUTCOMES

INITIAL LEVEL OF PO4 AND ITS EFFECT ON DEPLETION

@Dan_P conducted several experiment at lower levels of PO4 (.06-.17 ppm PO4) as well as elevated levels (.3+ ppm PO4). The results can be seen in CHART 5.

1594218279972.png

CHART 5

What is interesting about these results is there appears to be a limit to the amount of the PO4 depletion. The higher initial levels of .17 to .34 had the same level of PO4 depletion as the lower level of .06. This model also fits the data generated in my experiments as well as experiments conducted by @taricha.

@Dan_P then raised the question “does this relate to the SA/V ratio effect observed in earlier experiments?” The idea being that the 15 mL tubes have a given surface area and the Biofilm may be limited by this surface area. He conducted an experiment to test this idea. , He cut one of the storage test tubes in quarters down its length. He then put two quarters in each of two test tubes. So, he added to each sample, half of a test tube. Since both inside and outside was in contact with the sample, the surface was the same as adding one entire test tube, thus doubling the surface area.

After 5 days he measured the results. The results can be seen in CHART 6

CONFIRMATION OF SURFACE AREA TO VOLUME EFFECT
1594218385684.png

CHART 6
As you can see the increase in the SA/V increased the depletion significantly over that of the .03 ppm seen in the control. This appears to support Dan’s idea that one of the factors limiting the amount of the depletion of the PO4 is the Surface Area to Volume ratio.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS

• Saltwater tank water samples are not stable over time with respect to PO4 measurements made using Colorimetric testing methods (Hanna Checkers). It appears from the data that within 3 days (72 hours) the level of depletion is large enough to cause issues with the measurement results…IMO…. 10-20 ppb P/ .03-.06 PPM PO4 . This fact is well known in the science of water testing and there are very specific procedure required for storage and preservation of samples. These requirements are element and compound specific. …If you are interested in the details of this here is a link https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/41851
  • ICP testing appears to be impacted by the sample storage in the same way. This is evidenced by the fact that with the addition of 15 ppm chlorine added an additional 7-10 ppb phosphorous when measured vs the same sample without chlorine.
  • The depletion amount appears to be limited by the SA/V of the sample container (Tube). I looks as if it is somewhere around .06 ppm PO4/ 20 ppb P. More experimentation will be needed to better define this value.
  • The addition of 15 ppm chlorine appears to stabilize the PO4 measurement for an extended storage time when being measured by colorimetric methods (Hanna Checker).
  • The addition of 15 ppm chlorine appears to impact the results of an ICP test measurement of total P in the sample.
DISCUSSION & CONCLUSION

I do not characterize the experimental results as an indication of ICP measurement issue, but an overall protocol issue relating to sample handling. This holds true regardless of the type of testing one is conducting. We talk about measurements in terms of method: ICP, Hanna Checkers and Hobby Grade Kits because that is what we use. Every test requires a good sampling protocol in order to get a measurement that is representative of the total volume or batch. As the article from the link above clearly highlights, water sampling is no trivial issue....Can't just "dip and go”. One has to consider type of container, preservation requirements etc. based on the elements you are testing. As is pointed out some elements and compounds are "rugged" and can be handled accordingly but others like P...PO4.. NO2 are much more demanding in the sample handling...This is like a whole science unto itself!

There is a great deal more to be looked at (more rabbit holes). The chart below poses some potential additional analytes to look into.

1594218620218.png

THIS CHART IS A PARTIAL LIST OR THE RESULTS FROM THE ICP ANALYSIS DONE ON THE CHLORINE ADD EXPERIMENT

Thank you for following me into Wonderland…. could be we will meet here again!

giphy 2.gif

rick

PS: During this project I found an interesting gadget that does the sample shaking for you. It frees up your hands to do other things while the sample is shaking…

Here is a video of it in action: You need to mix for 15-20 seconds before you place it on the shaker to keep the reagent from clumping …but then shake away!!

(link to Video)

I found it on Amazon but it is listed several other places including ebay..

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what’s next? :)

Are you going to look at other elements that we can measure like iodine, iron and silicate, and see if they are subject to bio film depletion? Just to tantalize you, I stored iron (II) gluconate and its concentration declined over several days. I wonder if that’s just the iron precipitating or being depleted by microorganisms?

Already looking forwards to your next research project.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what’s next? :)

Are you going to look at other elements that we can measure like iodine, iron and silicate, and see if they are subject to bio film depletion? Just to tantalize you, I stored iron (II) gluconate and its concentration declined over several days. I wonder if that’s just the iron precipitating or being depleted by microorganisms?

Already looking forwards to your next research project.

For me I have a couple of unanswered questions about the PO4 that I would like to explore then the next one I think would be iodine then the others...It is my hope that one or more of the ICP vendors would step up and replicate some of these experiments and either validate the results or invalidate them ether way we learn...and isn't that what science is all about...searching for truth.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick, will you be recommending a range of bleach to use that will stabilize ICP samples?

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick, will you be recommending a range of bleach to use that will stabilize ICP samples?

I have a project ongoing to do just that....Starting at 15 ppm and going down....Looks like 15 ppm is good for up to 20 days+ so that might be overkill for testing samples...Data soon to come :)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My First Trip To Wonderland!...Down the Rabbit Hole!

giphy.gif

My first trip to Wonderland started in late 2019 when I started experimenting to find the answer to a question that had been troubling me for over 2 years. Since the very beginning of this project it has been my goal to understand why my measurement results, in particular PO4, differed from ICP results. I could not explain this difference with what I knew about colorimetric and ICP measurements. I have stated in previous posts that I had been using ICP as the “Target” for my own testing. The goal was to improve my measurement methods using my test kits and measurement protocols. For almost 2 years I have been following this path, but the issue with my measurement and ICP results persisted.

In recent post by @4sylvester he cited a very nice article that nicely covers the subject “Phosphorus Determination in Waters and Extracts of Soils and By-Products: Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectrometry versus Colorimetric Procedures” If you are interested here is a link post (Post # 100 here
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/icp-test-results-vs-hobby-grade.733197/page-5

This quote from that article describes my understanding of the relationship between ICP measurements and colorimetric measurement such as the Hanna Checkers.

"The method of P determination used in water samples and extracts of soils and by-products can influence the reported concentrations. For most sample types, ICP is slightly greater than colorimetric analyses, but the two methods are well correlated for high P samples. However, extreme caution needs to be used for samples with low P concentrations (e.g., 60 mg/kg extractable P), as the difference may be as great as 5 fold. "

This is exactly what I expected when I sent in my first ICP test and compared it to my Hanna results, but to my surprise the ICP reported a lower value for P and PO4....not by a small amount but by close to 50% (My measurement 20 ppb P ....ICP 10 ppb P) I concluded that my measurement was incorrect so I went back to my retained sample of the test I sent for ICP analysis and retested....Sure enough I got a lower reading 12 ppb----close enough! So that should have been the end of the story, but it was not. I continued to send in ICP tests every 90 days (Started in 2017) and I saw exactly the same results...Not every time but by far the majority.... ICP lower P than Hanna Hi-736 ...Retest the retain...results are close to ICP results.

Quoting from Alice In Wonderland
1594216669558.png

Call me a slow learner ....It took me almost 2 years to stop and ask the question what is going on? I am either the world’s worst (but consistent) Tester or there is something I am missing. I had seen on this forum several discussions about the same observation...ICP tests lower then Hanna Tester and didn't really follow them until
@taricha made a statement that caught my attention "maybe the sample is not stable" ...That set me down this "Rabbit Hole"....And literally 100's of PO4 tests later here we are...My first posting ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sample-storage-and-its-impact-on-phosphate-measurement.696800/) was the beginning of my trip to "Wonderland" but only the beginning. I basically set out to understand what impact storing a sample has on my test results... My basic conclusion for myself was not to store samples for any length of time in any type of container....Which is as it turns out was well known before I went down the "Rabbit Hole"....My bad, should have done more looking...none the less I got really good at the test, ....But it still did not answer my question "Why do my ICP tests come out consistently lower than my Hanna results?" According to my understanding this should not be happening and if I read the above reference paper correctly they agree...Should not be lower only higher or at best equal to.

Does ICP vendor testing overcome these sampling issues? Can a vendor hold a sample for several days and still get the same test results? I can for sure say my testing methods cannot. I contend that this sampling problem does impact ICP test results for some elements. Somehow, way beyond my understanding, it has to do with Bio-activity and Biofilm that make some amount of P unavailable to the current ICP test protocols...This is the focus of my second trip to "Wonderland"….Which you are now reading…Welcome to my trip to Wonderland
giphy 3.gif
1594218871075.png

Once again I would like to thank @taricha and @Dan_P for their help on this project. Their questions, challenges and expertise along with their supportive experimental results were very helpful in keeping the project on track and out of too many “rabbit holes”

OUTLINE:

• CONFIRMATION EXPERIMENTS
  • TEMPERATURE EFFECT
  • CHLORINATION EFFECT
    • MY RESULTS
    • ICP TEST RESULTS
  • SUMMARY
  • SOME OTHER INTERESTING OUTCOMES
  • DISCUSSION

CONFIRMATION EXPERIMENT

In order to be confident that what I had done in previous work was reproducible I did a replica of the initial experiment on PO4. A large sample was taken from my tank and divided into fifteen 15mL Polypropylene (PP) sample tubes. Initial measurements were taken on Day 0 (3 tubes). Then every 3 days measurements were taken on the next 3 tubes. This was repeated up to day 12. The results can be seen in Chart 1.

1594217014925.png

CHART 1

As you can see the depletion on the measured PO4 was on average .049 ppm or about a 35% reduction in the measurable PO4 . This level of depletion is greater than the Hanna 95% confidence interval (represented by the black vertical bars). This would indicate that the initial experiments could be replicated and the depletion effect is a real signal and not noise.

So just like the Cheshire Cat in Wonderland….Is he there or not!

giphy 4.gif

TEMPERATURE EFFECT

One of the questions that arose in the last set of experiments was whether this is a biological effect related to the bio-active materials contained in the tank water. It was suggested by @taricha that if it was Bio-Active that cooling the sample down during storage should show a slowing down of the depletion. An experiment was set up in which a large sample from my tank was separated into 2 sample sets. Each set consisted of eighteen 15mL PP Sample Tubes. One sample set was placed in a refrigerator at 42⁰ F (5.5⁰ C). The second set of samples was stored at 78⁰F (25.5⁰ C). Initial measurements were taken on day 0 using a HI-736 as well as an HI-774. The samples were stored for 6 days. Measurements were taken on day 3 and 6. The results can be seen in Chart 2

1594217505392.png

CHART 2

As the charts and the data clearly shows, cooling the sample down during storage virtually stops the depletion of measured PO4. This provides a fairly strong hint that the depletion process could be biological in nature.

CHLORINATION EFFECT

My Results

Along with the temperature effect an experiment was set up to look at the effect of sanitizing the sample with hypochlorite. First two separate experiments were conducted to determine if hypochlorite would interfere with the Hanna PO4-P (HI-736) test measurement. @taricha concluded up to 35 ppm showed no interference. I went up to 20 ppm and found the same result…He was braver than I was! The bleach solution used in the experiment 5% lab grade Sodium Hypochlorite that at the 15 ppm level tested “0” P on the Hanna HI-736.

Having concluded that the chlorine would not interfere with the measurement an experiment was set up to evaluate the effect of chlorination the sample before storage. I selected a chlorine level of 15 ppm as my starting point. A large sample was taken from my tank and divided into 2 samples. The first sample was the control…no hypochlorite added. The second sample was spiked with 15 ppm hypochlorite. The two sample sets were then placed in 15 mL PP sample tubes. 15 unchlorinated and 15 chlorinated. Initial measurements were taken on day 0 then measurements taken every 3 days for a total of 12 days storage. The results can be seen in Chart 3

1594217640882.png

CHART 3

As you can see from the charts and data the chlorine treated sample remain stable over the storage period maintaining measured values roughly equivalent to the initial reading on Day 0, whereas the untreated sample showed a significant reduction over the same storage period. Once again the evidence points to biological activity (Biofilm) contributing to the PO4 depletion

ICP Results

Going deeper into the rabbit hole I set out to test whether the ICP measurement of P also showed a difference between chlorinated and unchlorinated samples. Many believe that no matter what happens to the sample during shipment, the ICP method will detect the true concentration of elements. Is this true even if an element such as phosphorous in the form of PO4 is assimilated by a bio film on the sample container surface? Would the ICP result for P be higher when bio film formation is inhibited? And would the magnitude of difference in ICP results between chlorinated and unchlorinated samples be comparable to the PO4 depletion measured with the Hanna Checker?

An experiment essentially the same as my previous chlorination experiment described above was conducted. In this experiment 3 samples were sent to an ICP vendor for measurement.

The description of the samples and the results of the can be seen in CHART 4

1594217840485.png

CHART 4

CHART 4 SAMPLE IDENTIFICATION

Tube 1 was an unchlorinated sample that was shipped to the vendor the same day the sample was taken. The sample was 3 days in transit before testing (3 Days of Storage) (INITIAL ICP MEASUREMENT)

Tube 2 was an unchlorinated sample that was held for several days before being shipped to the vendor. (EXTENDED STORAGE NO CHLORINE)

Tube 3 was a chlorinated sample (15 ppm) that was also held the same number of days as tube 2 before shipment to the vendor. (EXTENDED STORAGE CHLORINATED)

I retained samples of each of these to be measured on the HI-736. These are the values on Chart 4 labeled MY MEASUREMENTS

All of the ICP samples as well as the retains came from the same tank sample just as in the previous experiment.

The answers to our questions from the result of this experiment and observations:

Is it true that even if an element such as phosphorous in the form of PO4 is assimilated by a bio film on the sample container surface, ICP would still detect it?

No. Phosphorous concentration as determined by ICP is lower in the two samples not treated with sodium hypochlorite than the one that is. Moreover, this difference in ICP measurement is comparable to that measured by the Hanna Checker. These results suggest that for my samples, phosphorous is mostly in the form of PO4.

Would the ICP result for P be higher when bio film formation is inhibited?

Yes, at least within the limits of the small sample size of this experiment. P can be “lost“ to the ICP method during transit.

And would the magnitude of difference in ICP results between chlorinated and unchlorinated samples be comparable to the PO4 depletion measured with the Hanna Checker?

Yes, but again within the limits of the small sample size of this experiment. This might be the case only when most of the phosphorous in the sample is in the form of PO4. Further testing would be needed to determine whether organophosphorous compounds are also subject to assimilation by biofilms.

A statistical sidebar:
When comparing two experimental treatments, it requires knowing how much variability there is in the results. Without this knowledge, we don’t know whether an observed difference is a result of the treatment or chance. In the comparisons above, we know about the variation in the Hanna measurement of PO4 and we are forced to assume a variation in the ICP measurements. In this case, we will assume the ICP variation is small based on the similarity ICP results of Tubes 1 and 2.

SUMMARY

In summary, this small experiment provides us with evidence that the ICP measurement of PO4 is not what we expected. The ICP method does not detect all the P in the sample. When PO4 is lost to what the data suggests is biological activity, for example, a bio film on the container surface, the ICP method fails to detect it. What we don’t know is whether other forms of P are also lost to the bio film.

This experimental data also suggests there can be good agreement between the Hanna Checker and ICP measurements when the samples contain the same amount of PO4 (Tube 1, 2 and 3 results), which occurred in this experiment when the measurements were made after the depletion of PO4 (Tubes 1 or2 ) and when no depletion occurred (Tube 3). Usually, we expect the ICP total P measurement to be higher than observed P-PO4 measurement of the Hanna because we assume that other forms of P exist in our systems. In this case, the P in my water appears to be dominated by PO4. Is this true in other systems as well? We will never know unless ICP measurements are improved.

SOME OTHER INTERESTING OUTCOMES

INITIAL LEVEL OF PO4 AND ITS EFFECT ON DEPLETION

@Dan_P conducted several experiment at lower levels of PO4 (.06-.17 ppm PO4) as well as elevated levels (.3+ ppm PO4). The results can be seen in CHART 5.

1594218279972.png

CHART 5

What is interesting about these results is there appears to be a limit to the amount of the PO4 depletion. The higher initial levels of .17 to .34 had the same level of PO4 depletion as the lower level of .06. This model also fits the data generated in my experiments as well as experiments conducted by @taricha.

@Dan_P then raised the question “does this relate to the SA/V ratio effect observed in earlier experiments?” The idea being that the 15 mL tubes have a given surface area and the Biofilm may be limited by this surface area. He conducted an experiment to test this idea. , He cut one of the storage test tubes in quarters down its length. He then put two quarters in each of two test tubes. So, he added to each sample, half of a test tube. Since both inside and outside was in contact with the sample, the surface was the same as adding one entire test tube, thus doubling the surface area.

After 5 days he measured the results. The results can be seen in CHART 6

CONFIRMATION OF SURFACE AREA TO VOLUME EFFECT
1594218385684.png

CHART 6
As you can see the increase in the SA/V increased the depletion significantly over that of the .03 ppm seen in the control. This appears to support Dan’s idea that one of the factors limiting the amount of the depletion of the PO4 is the Surface Area to Volume ratio.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS

• Saltwater tank water samples are not stable over time with respect to PO4 measurements made using Colorimetric testing methods (Hanna Checkers). It appears from the data that within 3 days (72 hours) the level of depletion is large enough to cause issues with the measurement results…IMO…. 10-20 ppb P/ .03-.06 PPM PO4 . This fact is well known in the science of water testing and there are very specific procedure required for storage and preservation of samples. These requirements are element and compound specific. …If you are interested in the details of this here is a link https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/41851
  • ICP testing appears to be impacted by the sample storage in the same way. This is evidenced by the fact that with the addition of 15 ppm chlorine added an additional 7-10 ppb phosphorous when measured vs the same sample without chlorine.
  • The depletion amount appears to be limited by the SA/V of the sample container (Tube). I looks as if it is somewhere around .06 ppm PO4/ 20 ppb P. More experimentation will be needed to better define this value.
  • The addition of 15 ppm chlorine appears to stabilize the PO4 measurement for an extended storage time when being measured by colorimetric methods (Hanna Checker).
  • The addition of 15 ppm chlorine appears to impact the results of an ICP test measurement of total P in the sample.
DISCUSSION & CONCLUSION

I do not characterize the experimental results as an indication of ICP measurement issue, but an overall protocol issue relating to sample handling. This holds true regardless of the type of testing one is conducting. We talk about measurements in terms of method: ICP, Hanna Checkers and Hobby Grade Kits because that is what we use. Every test requires a good sampling protocol in order to get a measurement that is representative of the total volume or batch. As the article from the link above clearly highlights, water sampling is no trivial issue....Can't just "dip and go”. One has to consider type of container, preservation requirements etc. based on the elements you are testing. As is pointed out some elements and compounds are "rugged" and can be handled accordingly but others like P...PO4.. NO2 are much more demanding in the sample handling...This is like a whole science unto itself!

There is a great deal more to be looked at (more rabbit holes). The chart below poses some potential additional analytes to look into.

1594218620218.png

THIS CHART IS A PARTIAL LIST OR THE RESULTS FROM THE ICP ANALYSIS DONE ON THE CHLORINE ADD EXPERIMENT

Thank you for following me into Wonderland…. could be we will meet here again!

giphy 2.gif

rick

PS: During this project I found an interesting gadget that does the sample shaking for you. It frees up your hands to do other things while the sample is shaking…

Here is a video of it in action: You need to mix for 15-20 seconds before you place it on the shaker to keep the reagent from clumping …but then shake away!!

(link to Video)

I found it on Amazon but it is listed several other places including ebay..

@Randy Holmes-Farley, if I remember correctly, you wondered whether all the elements in an aquarium water sample are measured correctly by ICP. It seems Rick has evidence that at least P may not.
be.

@Lasse, I have been thinking about your success with corals relying on the ICP measurements of phosphorous. I wonder how the loss of P in the sample might vary across different aquarium. Are all your aquarium P measurements with the Hanna Checker vs ICP varying by the same amount? Are the Hanna numbers always lower than the ICP readings?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reading on My Hanna HI-774 is always around 0.08 ppm over my Triton ICP result. @Sallstrom ´s reading with his HI-713 is always slight over or equal with Triton ICP result (+200 measurements)

A question to @Rick Mathew - was it your NaCl matrix that was the water send into your ICP provider or was it real aquarium saltwater?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reading on My Hanna HI-774 is always around 0.08 ppm over my Triton ICP result. @Sallstrom ´s reading with his HI-713 is always slight over or equal with Triton ICP result (+200 measurements)

A question to @Rick Mathew - was it your NaCl matrix that was the water send into your ICP provider or was it real aquarium saltwater?

Sincerely Lasse

It was a tank water sample...But your question might be an interesting experiment..for an ICP measurement... I have done that experiment using the Hanna Checker and a HACH phosphate standard and there was virtually no depletion..which pointed to something biologically going on...

rick

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting experiment. :)

I would be wary of assuming sodium hypochlorite is a suitable protocol tool for wide spectrum ICP testing

It is potentially going to change lots of other things. It raises pH and alkalinity and may cause precipitation of calcium carbonate, which might not be significant enough to alter calcium, but might take down trace metals that bind to it, such as iron. iron will also be stripped of chelating organics and fully oxidized tot eh ferric form, making it much less soluble.

Acidification is the normal procedure to stabilize trace elements in water samples for ICP.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting experiment. :)

I would be wary of assuming sodium hypochlorite is a suitable protocol tool for wide spectrum ICP testing

It is potentially going to change lots of other things. It raises pH and alkalinity and may cause precipitation of calcium carbonate, which might not be significant enough to alter calcium, but might take down trace metals that bind to it, such as iron. iron will also be stripped of chelating organics and fully oxidized tot eh ferric form, making it much less soluble.

Acidification is the normal procedure to stabilize trace elements in water samples for ICP.

So, besides the purported bio film depletion of phosphate and possibly other elements, precipitation is another depletion mechanism.

I presume dilute (2% ish) nitric acid might serve to keep trace elements dissolved and act as a biocide as well?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick Mathew A test that could be done is to filtrate the sample through 0.4 micron filters. This will probably slow down all bacterial processes but also give a false ICP results of other parameters that could be bounded to very small particles.

Sincerely Lasse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, besides the purported bio film depletion of phosphate and possibly other elements, precipitation is another depletion mechanism.

I presume dilute (2% ish) nitric acid might serve to keep trace elements dissolved and act as a biocide as well?

Yes, filtration and acidification with nitric acid is a standard protocol.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick Mathew despite having already seen the data, I'm still so impressed you were able to quantify the loss, demonstrate the mechanism, turn it off, and bring ICP results and hobby measurements into agreement.

from Rick's link on storage and sample procedures
"For total iron measurements, precipitation can be controlled in the sample containers by the addition of 1.5-2.0 ml of concentrated HNO3 per litre of sample immediately after collection. If the pH is not less than 2 after the addition of acid, more HNO3 should be added."
that recommendation is for freshwater and seems extreme, but I'm guessing a pH < 2 seems likely to kill off biological activity too.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick Mathew despite having already seen the data, I'm still so impressed you were able to quantify the loss, demonstrate the mechanism, turn it off, and bring ICP results and hobby measurements into agreement.

from Rick's link on storage and sample procedures
"For total iron measurements, precipitation can be controlled in the sample containers by the addition of 1.5-2.0 ml of concentrated HNO3 per litre of sample immediately after collection. If the pH is not less than 2 after the addition of acid, more HNO3 should be added."
that recommendation is for freshwater and seems extreme, but I'm guessing a pH < 2 seems likely to kill off biological activity too.

Thank you very much...very kind of you.

I had noted the information in the paper with regards to the use of nitric acid as a stabilizer and am planning to follow this up as soon as my HNO3 shows up...Also the filtration question...So many Rabbit Holes!!! It would be great if one or more of the ICP vendors could come along side and help resolve some of these questions. Their expertise and experience would add a lot to the discussion. I would think it would also benefit them in potentially improving their testing protocols and boosting confidence in their product....Just my opinion.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much...very kind of you.

I had noted the information in the paper with regards to the use of nitric acid as a stabilizer and am planning to follow this up as soon as my HNO3 shows up...Also the filtration question...So many Rabbit Holes!!! It would be great if one or more of the ICP vendors could come along side and help resolve some of these questions. Their expertise and experience would add a lot to the discussion. I would think it would also benefit them in potentially improving their testing protocols and boosting confidence in their product....Just my opinion.

What we need is a GoFundMe campaign and a couple more researchers to help round out the list of elements that are impacted by storage and to provide a fix, e.g., a recommended and easily acquired additive to stabilize samples like dilute nitric acid, or better yet, prove that dilute bleach is satisfactory for most elements of interest.

A GoFundMe campaign is required because we need to buy a large number of ICP’s performed by several vendors. The output is a list of recommended vendors and a recommended approach for sample stabilization.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What we need is a GoFundMe campaign and a couple more researchers to help round out the list of elements that are impacted by storage and to provide a fix, e.g., a recommended and easily acquired additive to stabilize samples like dilute nitric acid, or better yet, prove that dilute bleach is satisfactory for most elements of interest.

A GoFundMe campaign is required because we need to buy a large number of ICP’s performed by several vendors. The output is a list of recommended vendors and a recommended approach for sample stabilization.

Maybe better yet have ICP vendor(s) donate time and materials to coming up with a solution...just an idea!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe better yet have ICP vendor(s) donate time and materials to coming up with a solution...just an idea!

IIRC, Triton says they have already evaluated effects over time and see no significant changes.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, Triton says they have already evaluated effects over time and see no significant changes.

Thanks for your reply ...Yes Randy I remember from my first post that the Triton folks responded as such. but I was given to understand that that was not tank water that was used in that test. I could be completely wrong. What would be nice is if they would share their test protocol, not their detailed test procedure but how they handled their samples and the outcome of the experiment. that would be very helpful in the discussion

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back