Sam's Oceanic 120 - DIY solutions

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I went to ORD Aquatics because my kid had something nearby and the guys there said the Emperor Angelfish wouldn't kill the Anthias.
Beyond the tail frays they don't look beat up from the pictures. No sudden temperature spikes or pH fluctuations? You checked your analyzers? No ammonia or nitrite?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Now that you mention it and I think about it, I took the kids out to the lake and we bug sprayed and sun screened. I washed my hands when we got back but I didn’t wash all the way up my arm.
i noticed a small slick when I put my arm into the exile tank to cleanup some algae. Didn’t think about it till now.

the Anthias jumping from the DT to the exile tank yesterday led me to think aggression of some sort.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be it. I've got bugs like crazy in my yard and sometimes spray my legs. I take a full shower before even looking at the tank.

You run carbon? not sure what it would pull out, but couldn't hurt.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Beyond the tail frays they don't look beat up from the pictures. No sudden temperature spikes or pH fluctuations? You checked your analyzers? No ammonia or nitrite?
That was after being frozen too. They looked pristine before. I checked for fang marks if the canary Blenny went postal but nothing discernible as physical trauma. If there were ph or temperature fluctuations the Apex didn’t pick them up. I’ve been testing the big 5 nightly too…

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That could be it. I've got bugs like crazy in my yard and sometimes spray my legs. I take a full shower before even looking at the tank.

You run carbon? not sure what it would pull out, but couldn't hurt.
Just started running carbon for my coral declines

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
akk. striped blenny bought the farm too. :(
its odd. when I'm around the tank all the fish come out to swim around normally; when I go they all hide.

IMG_1556.JPEG

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Could a little 2.5" 6-line wrasse kill all those fish? he's been getting up in everyone's grills lately.

All the chromis are alive... If chemicals, I would suspect some of those would have been ended...

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could a little 2.5" 6-line wrasse kill all those fish? he's been getting up in everyone's grills lately.

All the chromis are alive... If chemicals, I would suspect some of those would have been ended...
Chromis are some of the least susceptible to swings. I doubt the sixline would have killed them beyond stressing them to death. Do you check for stray current or anything?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Using a reliable Fluke 77 IV multimeter I have 20V AC when I put the black in a grounded terminal and the red in the tank. I get the same when I removed all wires. I also get 20V when I do the same in a plastic terrarium with saltwater, Phyto and pods and an air bubbler only.
I think the voltage is ok. The Canary Blenny is still super spooked; the larger fish are ok.

If it were a chemical like sunscreen or bug spray, I would think it would kill the things in the exile tank first since that was exposed directly. Also, The coral banded shrimp are fine.

I think I have a killer :( I bet its the six line. :( I see him stepping to all the chromis and the larger fish are antsy when hes near them.
Can six line take out larger fish like anthias?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2022-08-16 10:13 PMAlkalinity8.5
2022-08-16 10:17 PMCalcium430
2022-08-16 10:21 PMMagnesium1305

Found one of the coral banded shrimp (small one) with both arms plucked-off so I relocated him to the baby cardinal tank.
The sailfin is huge now... He is being super agro with the hippos. He also always did have a mean streak in him. Any chance the sailfin would do it?
I think I'm going to call around. See if I can swap him out for another tang. He is at least 5 inches now... My tank is only 4' long. I'll try to get the six-line out too.

I'm still shocked. Don't think it was chemicals; The Anthias jumping from one tank into the other, the canary and striped blennies both acting so scared then the striped blenny ending up dead.
Last I saw of the canary blenny tonight was he was racing around; looked scared. He usually greats me at last feeding to go sit on the seaweed clip for the night.
Guess I can go back to pellets... don't need tank sitter now when I go an vacation. All the other fish except the mandarin and scooter blenny are pellet trained. (I hope they remember.)

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2022-08-16 10:13 PMAlkalinity8.5
2022-08-16 10:17 PMCalcium430
2022-08-16 10:21 PMMagnesium1305

Found one of the coral banded shrimp (small one) with both arms plucked-off so I relocated him to the baby cardinal tank.
The sailfin is huge now... He is being super agro with the hippos. He also always did have a mean streak in him. Any chance the sailfin would do it?
I think I'm going to call around. See if I can swap him out for another tang. He is at least 5 inches now... My tank is only 4' long. I'll try to get the six-line out too.
Did you say you had any corals/inverts die during this fish fiasco?

Back