OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Did you say you had any corals/inverts die during this fish fiasco?
One cleaner shrimp was molting and I bet Timmy found him tasty because I only found a few bits of him. And I saw Timmy going after the other; got all the other's gills.
I've been having coral issues but I believe that's from not running carbon/gfo/water changes since I started the tank.

I have since started all those things and thought I was starting to see a rebound in some corals.

I don't think the fiasco is over. I think the sailfin will kill a hippo tang. And I don't know why the canary is acting so freaked out.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish aggression is definitely prevalent when we are not around. Your fish coming out when you approach is a feeding response. Typically that's when they feed weather us actually feeding or the bi products of us cleaning. I wouldn't expect a tang to specifically attack smaller fish with different body shapes.
That being said. I recommend a high usage of carbon for a while. The slick you described is definitely a cause for concern. It's difficult to determine which fish would be affected first. I k ow this from personal experience.

I also recommend a water change if possible. And large at that... dilution is the solution to pollution..

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The slick you described is definitely a cause for concern. It's difficult to determine which fish would be affected first. I k ow this from personal experience.
Now that I think back on it though; I got home, washed hands past wrists a few times because of baiting hooks for the kids. then I had a toasted buttered croissant; then I went downstairs and my OCD with the Bryopsis in the exile tank got the better of me; that's when I went in for it... It had been over 5 hours or so since I applied; and light at that. I am hoping the slick was just butter.
I have no idea why I am so convinced its aggression instead of my own dumb-wrassery... subconsciously trying to save myself from grief? Why have I convinced myself Timmy is only at fault for the shrimp? I guess if making up a fiction may as well be a good one...

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
geez! Im so sorry for the mass casualties. Thats heartbreaking. I hope you get to the bottom of it :(. Hopefully no one else will perish in the meantime.
I Hope Please GIF

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Normal Sailfin:
IMG_1559.JPEG IMG_1558.JPEG
Angry Sailfin:
IMG_1563.JPEG IMG_1560.JPEG
mel gibson braveheart GIF
I'd call him Mel if I weren't planning to rehome/trade him.

RIP little buddy... never did get to bite me.
IMG_1565.JPEG IMG_1566.JPEG

How does one catch a six-line out of their tank? going to throw it against the wall.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
SO I think all the sketched-out fish have been accounted for. The rest seem pretty mellow. It would be just like a sick sadistic wrasse to have a blacklist and post it for all to see before dispatching everyone on the list one by one.
I doubt any more fish will die.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, sorry to hear the latest situation here Sam :(

We had a small 6-line in our last tank without issues, but they can be nasty. Our LFS has one that I was denied from purchasing by their employees since it has been returned "about a dozen times".. They said, "Well, it's always nice to make $1000 off a single fish but we don't want any more tanks terrorized.." We went with a Melanurus instead..

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh man, sorry to hear the latest situation here Sam :(

We had a small 6-line in our last tank without issues, but they can be nasty. Our LFS has one that I was denied from purchasing by their employees since it has been returned "about a dozen times".. They said, "Well, it's always nice to make $1000 off a single fish but we don't want any more tanks terrorized.." We went with a Melanurus instead..
Thanks! Guess its name of the game in this hobby...
I'm still not sure who killed them all; but I've seen everyone skittish around the 6-line.
He made himself pretty scarce till now. now he swims around like he owns the place.
I knew it was a roll of the dice with him. just wish he didn't take out some of my favorite and most expensive fish!
Really bummed about the Canary Blenny too; I liked his personality; Always greeted me at the glass when I came up to the tank.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2022-08-17 10:52 PMAlkalinity8.5
2022-08-17 10:58 PMCalcium445
2022-08-17 11:01 PMMagnesium1245
Dosed some Mg.
Yay! I think 100ml/hour is enough Kalk to keep Alk stable for now.
Not sure what is happening here... I haven't changed anything with the CO2 scrubber lately. I'll take it.
pH_co2scrub07.jpg
The Murders stopped; That's just what they were too; I haven't changed any water since I dipped my buttered croissant hands into the exile tank. Phew...

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed some Mg.
Not sure what is happening here... I haven't changed anything with the CO2 scrubber lately. I'll take it.
pH_co2scrub07.jpg
The Murders stopped; That's just what they were too; I haven't changed any water since I dipped my buttered croissant hands into the exile tank. Phew...
glad to hear the murders have stopped annnnnnnd now I want a buttered croissant... thanks :drooling-face:

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Glad the streak has ended. Did you catch the culprit?
He stopped killing. Guess those fish were just ticking him off. Its weird they knew their time was numbered and they were scared beforehand. My $$ is on the six line. Its going to be an operation to get him out.
I'm probably going to have to remove all my rocks... :(

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He stopped killing. Guess those fish were just ticking him off. Its weird they knew their time was numbered and they were scared beforehand. My $$ is on the six line. Its going to be an operation to get him out.
I'm probably going to have to remove all my rocks... :(
Glad he's stopped. Can he be trapped out? I don't know wrasses well...

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Glad he's stopped. Can he be trapped out? I don't know wrasses well...
I have a trap I printed. I'll try it. When he is on patrol. It worked for my purple dorttyback; the damsel was too smart/not curious enough.
I actually forgot he was in the tank he was so scarce before... now he is always out on patrol.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dosed some Mg.
pH_co2scrub07.jpg
Buttered Croissant...

Back