Sand algae

mbuch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. My sand has developed this colorful growth. Any idea what it and what I should do about it if anything? Many thanks!

C7CADFED-D80F-4349-B5B9-59F2C138738A.jpeg

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coralline and other algae's, you can scrape it off, or leave it there. Up to you really.

OP
OP
M

mbuch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much. Does that mean it is not harming the livestock or water quality of the tank?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much. Does that mean it is not harming the livestock or water quality of the tank?
Nope, not really.
What about brown algae on the top of the substrate? What can I do to see it white again?
That can depend because brown algae on top of the substrate can mean diatoms, dinos, detritus, etc. The solution for all those can be different, know what I mean?

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Nope, not really.

That can depend because brown algae on top of the substrate can mean diatoms, dinos, detritus, etc. The solution for all those can be different, know what I mean?
Those are diatoms, its a new tank! They are almost gone already, but the substrate still brownish... What can I do to see it white again??

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Those are diatoms, its a new tank! They are almost gone already, but the substrate still brownish... What can I do to see it white again??
That's normal, you'd have to get fish and invertebrates that help stir the sand. Or you can manually stir and vacuum the sand when you do water changes. Sometimes I'll stir the sand and hope that the detritus goes to the sump if it's really bothering me.

How's the aquarium scene in Brazil?

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal, you'd have to get fish and invertebrates that help stir the sand. Or you can manually stir and vacuum the sand when you do water changes. Sometimes I'll stir the sand and hope that the detritus goes to the sump if it's really bothering me.

How's the aquarium scene in Brazil?
Ow, its crawling yet.. but we had a incredible growth in the pandemic, really huge! We still have some barriers, mainly with environmental institutions and importation. But we will get there.

Back