Sand and Copper in QT

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm preparing to quarantine a recently purchased melanurus wrasse but I know they need sand to feel comfortable. But I've read sand absorbs copper and other medications unless it's the right kind so I decided to place an order on Amazon for sand which wouldn't absorb stuff and while I was waiting, added some DT sand in a container so the wrasse would feel alright while I waited. I removed most of the sand however there still remains some sand on the bottom of the QT that I just cannot pick out. How badly will this affect the copper dosing and should I remove it entirely or would I be able to work around it by maybe dosing a bit more copper than usual (Checking with an Hanna HR of course.) I'm not sure. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will make a big deal especially if its just a little bit

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use sand in copper QT tank. Humblefish tested it and it absorbs very little copper.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be safe, avoid aragonite (calcium carbonate based) sand and rock in the QT. That is the most likely kind to absorb copper. Normal sand, i.e. play sand from Home Depot definitely does not absorb copper. For my QT, i use sand and after adding copper at the beginning, I do not have to add any more unless I make a water change.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be safe, avoid aragonite (calcium carbonate based) sand and rock in the QT. That is the most likely kind to absorb copper. Normal sand, i.e. play sand from Home Depot definitely does not absorb copper. For my QT, i use sand and after adding copper at the beginning, I do not have to add any more unless I make a water change.
the sand i was using was aragonite and there's still a bit left but the new sand im using is safe. i even checked with jay and he said it would be fine. there are still traced of aragonite that i just cant seem to get out but i dont have a pile. i should be fine though right?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sand i was using was aragonite and there's still a bit left but the new sand im using is safe. i even checked with jay and he said it would be fine. there are still traced of aragonite that i just cant seem to get out but i dont have a pile. i should be fine though right?
Sure, if all you have is residual aragonite after cleaning out the bulk it will not have the capacity to absorb much at all. Check your copper every once in a while just to be comfortable its not dropping.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back