Sand bed and flow

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the sandbed discussion is very opiniated and there are thousands of threads with discussion there.

My question is, I want a sand bed, I don’t want it too deep but deep enough to keep certain fish and not be affected by flow.

I have a 60 gallon cube with two Apex Wav units. I plan on keeping mixed reef w/ SPS. Any recommendations?

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5x2x2 with two gyre 250's running as low as I can get them on a preset program and it causes my fiji pink to pile up from the middle to the sides. I think this is partly due to my rock scape, but I have tried to adjust the scape a little and it makes no difference. I go through and smooth the sand out even about once a week. The open area b/t my two islands gets down to the glass. If I added rock to that open space it would probably take care of it, but I love the negative space look. I will say although it gradually builds up in areas and clears in the open area, it doesn't at all cloud the water or make a "sand storm". So, if your rock scape doesn't have a lot of negative space, it may not be a problem. Also, you can angle your powerheads to adjust. The gyres can be angled up only, which I can only do so much or I would have a fountain LOL.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always run 2” Carib Sea special grade. Heavy enough to not blow around under good flow, and deep enough for the gobies and pistol shrimp I always have.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 2 WAVs and Fiji Pink sand for a 60 gallon cube, you’re gonna have a tough time avoiding sand storms. The WAV pumps may be oversized for your tank size with only the ability to run them at the lowest settings. Look at replacing your Fiji Pink with Caribsea Special grade at minimum or better yet, get some Tropic Eden Reefflakes. The larger grain sizes of the aforementioned sand will help immensely with avoiding sandstorms given your power head choice.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 2 WAVs and Fiji Pink sand for a 60 gallon cube, you’re gonna have a tough time avoiding sand storms. The WAV pumps may be oversized for your tank size with only the ability to run them at the lowest settings. Look at replacing your Fiji Pink with Caribsea Special grade at minimum or better yet, get some Tropic Eden Reefflakes. The larger grain sizes of the aforementioned sand will help immensely with avoiding sandstorms given your power head choice.
I had a real difficult time finding a wave system for my tank, mostly because the tank has 1/2” glass and the eco tech had a hard time unfortunately. I am definitely going to take your advice and change the sand out. You think running the wavs at a lower setting would be bad?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern with running at minimum settings would be how much variation in flow while ramping can you get if it is set at a minimum? I have no experience with the WAVs, but have done a good bit of research on them. They are very powerful pumps. I too have 1/2” thick glass on a relatively small tank, (36x18x20), and I considered 2 pumps, a pair of Tunze 6095s or a pair of Ecotech MP40wQDs. I ended up getting the MP40s.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 60 I think you will get light sand (flakes) moving about. Piles and bald spots. Some of this can be blocked with your rock work. You might have to think about some heavy sand or calcium media for those spots that the sand doesnt want to stay put.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar flow in both tanks and it seems the special grade tolerates high flow a lot better.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently keep sand dwelling wrasses in both fiji pink and special grade with no issues.
Good to know! I think I'm going to get a bag of special grade to put in that open space I have to at least keep it covered and maybe if I smooth put the Fiji pink some, and add the special grade on top, it will keep it from piling up over the course of a week.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decision made, and Tropic Eden Reef flakes arrived.... 2” sandbed with this substrate..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back