Sand bed depth for pistol shrimp/gobie pair

314reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So eventually i would like a shrimp/gobie pair. With that being said i am looking for recommendations as far as sand bed depth. And what size grain to use as well. As i still need to buy sand for the tank I’m setting up. Thanks, Dillon.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used the special grade sand for my tank, it not the fine sand, and not the rocky type, I guess you would say it’s in between, the goby will occasionally scoop out some sand in its mouth so if you have the rock sand it’s not good. I would say 1”-1.5” min would be good, I have a 2” sandbed in my DT and they move sand all the time, so you will see that it is higher in some places,,

the shrimp will also take anything to use to construct it’s home; like shells, dead stony corals, even a piece of soft coral…

I love watching them construct a network of tunnels through the tank,, the most interesting pair I’m my tank for sure!!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 3"-4" in my tanks. If you have gobies, blennies, conches, pistol shrimps, nassarius snails, and other sand sifting animals, , the first 2"-3" of sand will always be turned and sifted nonstop, the sandscape changes almost daily.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back