SAND BED vs BARE BOTTOM: Is it sand or nothing for you!?

SAND BED vs BARE BOTTOM: Is it sand or nothing for you!?

• SAND BED

Votes: 126 69.6%
  • BARE BOTTOM

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 4.4%

• Total voters

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, bare bottom looks cold and too sterile. And a lot of work. I have a bit of OCD. I can clean and move sand around, but I doubt I’d ever keep the bottom glass clean enough for my liking. Sand makes it feel like the ocean. I also love the inverts and fish that play in sand.

That being said, I’ve seen some white bottomed tanks, and some that are completely encrusted that look amazing.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, like others have said, BB is too sterile. It doesn’t look natural at all - more like a lab tank than a piece of the ocean. To each their own though. I can see why people would go that way with frag tanks and QT tanks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beach Latina GIF

I like a little bit of coverage or just a bare bottom is nice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive done bare bottom twice and always get back to sand in it but at about an inch or less.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 tanks, 2 BB, 1-1" sandbed, 1-3+" sandbed.
I like both.
My 80g growout system has 1.5" racks and is super easy to clean.
This 20g sits on a 1.5" rack and has no dead spots. Circulation goes under and up through the scape.
20230513_130822.jpg

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could never imagine going bare bottom, just looks so much more natural with sand, and better for biodiversity as well. And yes I realize that most reefs are quite deep and sand free, but I always viewed my reef tanks more as bommies or slices of bommies.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4 tanks, 2 BB, 1-1" sandbed, 1-3+" sandbed.
I like both.
My 80g growout system has 1.5" racks and is super easy to clean.
This 20g sits on a 1.5" rack and has no dead spots. Circulation goes under and up through the scape.
20230513_130822.jpg
That's cool how you did that. No detritus.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to setting up a saltwater reef tank, which substrate option do you prefer: a sand bed or a bare bottom tank?

Both approaches have their pros and cons, but we want to hear your personal preference and the reasons behind it. Are you team sand bed, valuing its natural appearance and beneficial sand-dwelling organisms? Or do you lean towards team bare bottom and the simplicity and ease of maintenance offered by a bare bottom tank?

SAND BED versus BARE BOTTOM

versus sb bb.jpg

tank images via @ChristopherKriens and @irwin_fletch
I always use sand… I have fish/inverts that dig!!

Dude64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to setting up a saltwater reef tank, which substrate option do you prefer: a sand bed or a bare bottom tank?

Both approaches have their pros and cons, but we want to hear your personal preference and the reasons behind it. Are you team sand bed, valuing its natural appearance and beneficial sand-dwelling organisms? Or do you lean towards team bare bottom and the simplicity and ease of maintenance offered by a bare bottom tank?

SAND BED versus BARE BOTTOM

versus sb bb.jpg

tank images via @ChristopherKriens and @irwin_fletch
I have to have sand for my nassarius on they would need fig leaves. I do keep a shallow sand though b/c as noted below, the funk will thrive there... you can get better/more cuc but even the cleaners produce waste and toxins... they're living critters too.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool how you did that. No detritus.
I used these racks.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sandbed in a 40B.

Started with Caribsea arag alive, added more of the Caribsea CoraLine. Never had any issues with sand blow around...ever...40lbs of live rock spaced out properly.

Yes, Sand Bed would get dirty on the top and I always cleaned it....but...

A month ago I added that Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Ocean Sand/,Crushed Coral...and boom...sand bed is staying super clean now. I added it directly on top of Caribsea stuff, after a gentle cleaning.

So 40lbs of Caribsea, 20lbs of Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Ocean Sand.. is what I Roll with.

I too have Nassarius Snails, a Sand Sifting Star, Conch etc....let me tell you the Star is the happiest now...my wife gets paranoid when she doesn't see him like we used to...I just tell her...he's living his best life now!

I like Bare Bottom too...but it's a bit sterile...and especially since I've dived and Snorkeled all over the Caribbean..Roatan, Bonaire etc...Sand is Natural.

photos for reference:

20230602_221446.jpg
20230602_221524.jpg

Last edited:

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom all the way in the big tank and I have a small pile of sand in my small tank for my LTA. Both tanks run on the same sump.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep sand bed (DSB) for me in the 135 Gal display. Its 20 years old this year. Occasionally vacuumed using a sawed off 2L bottle as the vacuum tube (which creates great turbulence without sucking all the sand into the tubing). I also have a 50 gallon BB frag tank plumbed into the same sump as the display tank.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not that it matters, but BB all the way here. I actually love the look - a cluttered sand bed detracts from the show. I love the pristine, white bottom. It's bright, and no surprise nutrient spikes. It just looks clean.

I feed heavy (HEAVY), and no extra chores during maintenance... Alkalinity consumption is less, and lots of flow without having to "level" daily. No side plane sand scratches.

craiginphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could never imagine going bare bottom. Think it looks unnatural and distracting.

I added a thick 2.5 inch sand bed in my new tank because I really want to try to get some leopard wrasses and maybe a jawfish.

As far as the cleanliness, some conches and a goby should keep it all clean. I rarely see my conches.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sandbed in a 40B.

Started with Caribsea arag alive, added more of the Caribsea CoraLine. Never had any issues with sand blow around...ever...40lbs of live rock spaced out properly.

Yes, Sand Bed would get dirty on the top and I always cleaned it....but...

A month ago I added that Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Ocean Sand/,Crushed Coral...and boom...sand bed is staying super clean now. I added it directly on top of Caribsea stuff, after a gentle cleaning.

So 40lbs of Caribsea, 20lbs of Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Ocean Sand.. is what I Roll with.

I too have Nassarius Snails, a Sand Sifting Star, Conch etc....let me tell you the Star is the happiest now...my wife gets paranoid when she doesn't see him like we used to...I just tell her...he's living his best life now!

I like Bare Bottom too...but it's a bit sterile...and especially since I've dived and Snorkeled all over the Caribbean..Roatan, Bonaire etc...Sand is Natural.

photos for reference:

20230602_221446.jpg
20230602_221524.jpg
Do the orange sunglasses improve your sand quality? :eek: :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back