Sand - CaribSea Fiji Pink or Special Grade Reef - which do you use?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep going round-and-round between CaribSea Fiji Pink or Special Grade Reef.

Like the smaller grain size of the Fiji Pink - put worried it will get blown around by the power heads.

What sand does everyone here use and like?

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep going round-and-round between CaribSea Fiji Pink or Special Grade Reef.

Like the smaller grain size of the Fiji Pink - put worried it will get blown around by the power heads.

What sand does everyone here use and like?
How has the Special Grade been for your tank? How deep is your tank and how much flow?

I want sand and I’m leaning special grade because my tank is 16” deep and I’ll be trying to get solid flow out of 2 MP40s for SPS but worried the sand will prevent me from dialing it up in such a shallow tank. Bare bottom isn’t totally out of the question but I’d really like sand because I love the look of it.

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used special grade for my new 75g tank and am liking it so far. I've got 2 nero 7's running at 25-75% and it stays put
That’s helpful to know. How deep is your tank? Would love to see a photo. How easily does the sand tumble to clean when siphoning?

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard mixed reviews on this. Is that what you are using?
Yep. I had Caribsea Indo-pacific in the past and mesoflake holds up to flow better so far. I'm only running one of MP40s right now and when I cranked it up to see what would happen after putting the sand in a month ago, it held up pretty well.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a mix of the two. If I did it again, I'd probably go bare bottom. However, if you have to chose, special grade will absolutely be the better option.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished removing most of my Figi pink and replacing it with special grade. I have sps and quite a bit of flow and the Fiji pink didn't cut it. Barebottom is my choice but I wanted to add a blue carpet nem so I had to add some sand.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back