Sand Options ?

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
For my 15 gallon peninsula nano I need to pick a substrate. My old 75 gallon tank I went with dry aragonite and i was not too happy about it. The grain size was too big for my taste. I am now looking at the Aragalive Bahama Oolite sand. Is the grain on this sand too small? Anyone have any favorites out there or know anything better than the carib sea Aragalive? Thanks !

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
For my 15 gallon peninsula nano I need to pick a substrate. My old 75 gallon tank I went with dry aragonite and i was not too happy about it. The grain size was too big for my taste. I am now looking at the Aragalive Bahama Oolite sand. Is the grain on this sand too small? Anyone have any favorites out there or know anything better than the carib sea Aragalive? Thanks !
If you have strong flow I’d say it’s too small. It does firm up over time but takes a while.

Ckane2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into caribsea’s special grade reef sand, it’s supposed to be not too large of grain size but not small enough to get blown around. I wouldn’t do oolite ever again, it blew all over

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into caribsea’s special grade reef sand, it’s supposed to be not too large of grain size but not small enough to get blown around. I wouldn’t do oolite ever again, it blew all over
i know i really love the way oolite looks but very nervous itll be a pain.. Does fiji pink look similar to bahama oolite grain wise ?

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 65 gallon reef with Bahama Oolote CaribSea Sand. When I noticed how fine it was I added 40 lbs of Carib Sea Ocean Direct, then another 20 lbs of Fiji Pink. But that Oolite is waaaay to fine if you plan any kind of flow -especially considering your running a 15 gallon. You will have endless sandstorms. Gobies and sand sifters do great in CaribSea special grade. I once had a chat with the guys at Bulk Reef Supply -Special Grade is their best selling sand, and for a reason. -For the record, in my 65 gallon the 20/40/20 mix of Oolite/Ocean Direct/Fiji Pink is working great. Just I wouldnt put a fine sand is such a small tank. -my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 65 gallon reef with Bahama Oolote CaribSea Sand. When I noticed how fine it was I added 40 lbs of Carib Sea Ocean Direct, then another 20 lbs of Fiji Pink. But that Oolite is waaaay to fine if you plan any kind of flow -especially considering your running a 15 gallon. You will have endless sandstorms. Gobies and sand sifters do great in CaribSea special grade. I once had a chat with the guys at Bulk Reef Supply -Special Grade is their best selling sand, and for a reason. -For the record, in my 65 gallon the 20/40/20 mix of Oolite/Ocean Direct/Fiji Pink is working great. Just I wouldnt put a fine sand is such a small tank. -my 2 cents.
what about fiji pink can i get away with it? i like the look of finer sand but dont want the pain that oolite gives

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oolite looks great but is a pain and you couldn't pay me to run it in a mixed reef or SPS tank. Fiji Pink is "rockier" but just barely and is smallest I would go. I ran Fiji Pink for a while and I liked it but Special Grade is my favorite these days.

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about fiji pink can i get away with it? i like the look of finer sand but dont want the pain that oolite gives
In a much larger, deeper tank where you can have "Flow" without disturbing the sediment, yea. But in that Nano... No. No No. The minute you put any flow on that fine sand will be all over. Fiji Pink is a mix of very fine to medium. You are better off with something medium like "Special Grade". -Better think hard on this and make the right decision, because there is no worse setback for a system than to rip the sand bed out and start over!

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oolite looks great but is a pain and you couldn't pay me to run it in a mixed reef or SPS tank. Fiji Pink is "rockier" but just barely and is smallest I would go. I ran Fiji Pink for a while and I liked it but Special Grade is my favorite these days.
does special grade look too "rocky"... i had aragonite on my last 75 gallon and i wasnt a fan between the "rocky" look it gave and the detritis build up on the sand bed because of how big the grain size was..

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess im looking for more of a whiter sand bed color which is why i like the oolite... what is the color of the special grade that looks like the choice for me if its white enough lol fiji pink is the runner up

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess im looking for more of a whiter sand bed color which is why i like the oolite... what is the color of the special grade that looks like the choice for me if its white enough lol fiji pink is the runner up
i would mix the stuff you already have with fiji pink kinda what i did with my new tank my first one was 100% fiji pink you will have some sand storms for a few months until all the really fine stuff is gone

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would mix the stuff you already have with fiji pink kinda what i did with my new tank my first one was 100% fiji pink you will have some sand storms for a few months until all the really fine stuff is gone
Interesting so the cloudyness goes away after a while with the fiji pink ? im stuck on the fence with this one... the special grade grain size is a little to big for my taste almost like my other tank...

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with mixing sand is that it pretty quickly separates if there's any flow to it. So I had sections of crushed coral and sections of sand within a few days. The fine stuff may eventually drift to the low flow areas (behind/under rocks) or be caught up in your filter socks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back