Sand Sifters VS Coral

90G Mark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a FOWLR tank for a little over 4 years. and im slowly introducing coral to the tank. i have 2 gobys that sift the sand and spit it out.. i am curious is it ok for the tank to have all those things stired up in the water.. do the coral beneficent from the sand being sifted?

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a FOWLR tank for a little over 4 years. and im slowly introducing coral to the tank. i have 2 gobys that sift the sand and spit it out.. i am curious is it ok for the tank to have all those things stired up in the water.. do the coral beneficent from the sand being sifted?

The microfauna being stirred up in the sand/water will not harm the coral, in the wild, corals get covered in sand all the time, the only issue is if they get buried. The coral do not benefit from the sand being sifted, if anything those on the sandbed could be harmed by it if buried and not getting light(where most corals get their energy/food from)
So the goby sifting wont harm the corals, just make sure when they bury corals on the sand bed, or throw sand on rocks that are low enough, just unbury the coral and all should be good.

OP
OP
90G Mark

90G Mark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The microfauna being stirred up in the sand/water will not harm the coral, in the wild, corals get covered in sand all the time, the only issue is if they get buried. The coral do not benefit from the sand being sifted, if anything those on the sandbed could be harmed by it if buried and not getting light(where most corals get their energy/food from)
So the goby sifting wont harm the corals, just make sure when they bury corals on the sand bed, or throw sand on rocks that are low enough, just unbury the coral and all should be good.
thank you

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back